PDA

View Full Version : Darkness...:(

whalelover
06-30-2005, 05:24 PM
Okay, well this summer I am going to a sleep-away camp for my first time. It's a week long equestrian camp. I'm so exited!! But...there is only one problem. I'm scared of the dark lol. I've talked to my friends, and they said that yes, it is pitch black during the night. So I can't be like turning on lights or anything, because that would annoy the other campers. So I was just wondering, do any of you guys have any suggestions for me? Anything that would help or cure this fear?
Thanks,
Sara

jesse_3
06-30-2005, 07:04 PM
Honestly?-hide a stuffed toy or pic in your sleeping bag or duffle bag and hug it when you get scared, it works for me! lol!

Another thing is, just close your eyes and think of something that is bright and viberant!

Good Luck and have FUN!!!

green_chameleon_girl
06-30-2005, 07:11 PM
Get a flash light, that is sort of dim and pull it under the sleeping bag, with a teddy, and everytime you get scared hug your teddy and turn on the light under the sleeping bag, just remember, there is nothing to hurt you, and the sooner you get to sleep, the faster the light comes!! Im sure you will be okay:)

HAVE FUN!

buckner
06-30-2005, 08:47 PM
I also suggest having a flashlight. Have two - one that gets REALLY bright and shines in a large area, and one that's dull for the cabin (or whereever you are sleeping). That way, if you go outside, you won't be scared because you'll see! And inside, you won't wake the other campers with your light. Just take extra batteries! :)

Good luck, you'll be fine.

finn's mom
06-30-2005, 09:59 PM
I know what you mean, I'm 28 and still have to sleep with either the tv on or a light. I used to read about Bedtime Bear (care bear), and, that would help. :) But, I think my fear is more being alone in the dark. If I'm with someone, I'm not as scared. Just think of it that way, you aren't alone. I'd definitely take a light, even if it's just a small pen light or something. and, maybe take a walkman that you can listen to quietly with headphones so that you don't hear every little sound. That just makes it seem darker. Unless you're not allowed to have walkmans there. But, ask one of the guardians there or counselors what other kids have done for their fears of the dark. They might have some good suggestions. Have fun! You'll remember this for the rest of your life, enjoy it!

Vette
06-30-2005, 10:27 PM
:eek: I remeber being kinda scared of the dark when i was little.. but i dont remember how i got over it.

i also prefer it pitch black for sleeping. i cant sleep if theres any sort of light in my bedroom. sorry for being no help..

but just wanted to wish you the best of luck. :D

sandragonfly
06-30-2005, 10:48 PM
because I can't hear and am in darkness, I get scared sometimes so yeah..same ideas - teddy bears (I have plenty cats!), ;) headphones of walkman and flashlights is best.

just remember you're around with somebody and if something happens, I'm sure everybody (around you) will be up and turn on the light! :)

have a great time!!!

CagneyDog
06-30-2005, 10:58 PM
As others have said, take a flashlight and crawl into your sleeping bag, others wont see the light too much if it is in your sleeping bag.

I'm sure people will be understanding about it though. If your really nervous I bet they will let you have a light on for awhile :) And who knows, maybe someone will be in the same boat as you! I know when I went to camp there was three people in my cabin that were freaked about the dark!

I hope your camp goes well:)

whalelover
07-01-2005, 02:53 PM
Thanks everyone!!
I will do what you guys said, and I will even practice sleeping in complete darkness. I'm soo exited! I can't wait, I get to ride twice a day, and hang out with them all day! It's going to be awesome.
Thanks again,
Sara