PDA

View Full Version : This story leaves me speechless...

cfuh
06-30-2005, 08:31 AM
As much as I love Hawaii and want to get married, I would NEVER do this to my gurls!!!! :( :( :(

I killed my pets to move in with my fiancé…
A woman is anguished after putting her beloved dogs to sleep so she could join her fiancé in Hawaii. Dr. Gail Saltz offers advice

By Dr. Gail Saltz
"Today" contributor
Updated: 10:26 a.m. ET June 21, 2005

Q: About a year ago, I made the heart-wrenching decision to leave a great job, house, friends and family to move to Hawaii with my fiancé.

As part of this transition, I also chose to have my two beloved chow chow dogs put to sleep. This was done for a variety of reasons, including their age and temperament, the smaller living quarters in Hawaii, the tropical climate and frequent travels, all with the goal of making our new life as stress-free as possible. I adored those dogs, but I justified their sacrifice to the greater good of a successful relationship.

After six months, I am still tormented by memories of my dogs. The depths of anguish and loss make me think I got rid of them for purely selfish reasons, which is the kind of behavior I thought I reviled. I feel that I have gone from dog-lover to dog-killer in one trans-Pacific flight.

This is not the person my fiancé fell in love with, and I fear that I will begin to blame and resent him for my emotional despair.

Do I try to morph into the kind of steely person who makes the tough decisions, swallows the consequences and moves on? Can I ever be the warm-hearted, caring animal-lover I once was, or will I always be a fake? What can I do to repair this soul-revealing wound?

A: First, please don’t worry about being a fake. The fact that you are writing this — and in such a heartfelt way — means that this is very unlikely to be the case. You are still the woman your fiancé fell for.

Also, I am truly sorry you feel so wracked with guilt about your decision to put your dogs to sleep.

People don’t always realize that their attachment to animals can be every bit as strong as their attachment to people. Many people have terrible grief at the loss of a beloved animal.

It was reasonable for you to join your fiancé in Hawaii. And maybe it would not have been fair to take the dogs, because of the factors you mention. You didn’t want the dogs to suffer, and they didn’t. But it’s clear you now recognize this decision was extreme.

Obviously, if you couldn’t take the dogs with you, a less guilt-inducing alternative would have been to find them a good home. But it’s too late for that. Difficult as it is, you have no choice but to accept the fact that you made a mistake.

It’s impossible to make every negative feeling go away. However, because the choice to put the dogs to sleep was yours, you shouldn’t blame or resent your fiancé for this. But neither do you have to flagellate yourself for the rest of your life.

To ease your guilt, you might want to consider getting another pet. In particular, there are plenty of older, needy animals you could love. If adopting another animal isn’t feasible, you could contribute to a rescue group or volunteer for one. These are ways to “make up” for your decision.

It sounds as though you have learned that, like many women, you are prone to doing extreme things for a love relationship. When the time comes to make another big decision, you will be prepared to make a better one.

Dr. Gail’s Bottom Line: Some actions turn out to be mistakes which cannot be undone. But it is possible to take positive action to counter their effects. In addition, of course, they can do much to teach you about yourself and enable you to be more mindful the next time.

finn's mom
06-30-2005, 08:35 AM
wow. i don't know how i could live with that guilt. it was hard for me to put my bruno down, even when i felt like it was time for him to go. :( i think it's good advice, though, and, i hope she doesn't kill herself for the rest of her life. and, i hope she doesn't ruin her marriage because of something that was completely her decision. that sucks. :(

anna_66
06-30-2005, 08:37 AM
WOW:(

To me, she doesn't sound like an animal-lover to begin with. What lover of dogs would put their own dog down to move?

elizabethann
06-30-2005, 08:39 AM
I read that article too and was very disturbed and sad when I did.

I feel bad for this woman but personally, I would have never made the decision to put my pets to sleep because I was moving. If I couldn't bring them with me, I would have made arrangements for them to be adopted. However, I don't go anywhere without my pets. Where I go, they go. We're a package.

:D

Pawsitive Thinking
06-30-2005, 08:42 AM
So she should feel guilty!!! What a selfish act :mad: :mad: Those doggies should have been given the chance of a new home

finn's mom
06-30-2005, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by elizabethann
I read that article too and was very disturbed and sad when I did.

I feel bad for this woman

I felt the same way, and, I feel bad for her, too. She seems to have felt like she made a mistake almost instantly. :( She mentioned age and temperament, maybe they weren't likely candidates for adoption. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have put them to sleep. I probably would have just waited to move until after the dogs were naturally gone, if they weren't adoption material. It's hard to place too much judgement without knowing all the details.

edited: i still think she made a mistake, but, it seems as though she knows that, too.

Pawsitive Thinking
06-30-2005, 08:47 AM
It's hard to place too much judgement without knowing all the details. [/B][/QUOTE]

You are right of course - my response was a knee jerk reaction

finn's mom
06-30-2005, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Brody's Mum
You are right of course - my response was a knee jerk reaction

We posted at the same time, I hadn't read anyone else's responses really, except elizabethann's. It was just my thought, not directed towards anyone in particular.

Pawsitive Thinking
06-30-2005, 08:55 AM
Didn't take it personally - your response just made me think a bit more about it as it was more fair minded than mine ;)

finn's mom
06-30-2005, 08:56 AM
Didn't take it personally

Ok, good. :) I just wanted to make sure. :)

Pawsitive Thinking
06-30-2005, 08:58 AM
No problem :D Always getting into trouble by opening my big mouth before thinking.......

finn's mom
06-30-2005, 08:59 AM
No problem :D Always getting into trouble by opening my big mouth before thinking.......

Hey, me, too! I just usually wait a second before posting. But, in real life, it's much harder to do.

IRescue452
06-30-2005, 09:16 AM
I think she was going too fast and kinda pushed into this. She left family and friends, her house, job, and pets. It doesn't sound right. Personally I've thought of putting Sonny to sleep because of the stress of my going to college and eventually moving but I wouldn't do it. Its right, elizabethann, to say we are a package with our pets.

finn's mom
06-30-2005, 09:18 AM
You both saying that package thing makes me think of when I got married. When my ex proposed, my dad said immediately, don't forget, the dog is part of the package. ;) it was funny! my cat, dusty, stayed with my parents, but, bruno came with me. :) finn is definitely part of this package.

Pawsitive Thinking
06-30-2005, 10:15 AM
Love me, love my dog, cat, rabbit, budgie.........(not forgetting RB hamster, guinea pigs, fish......) oh and my daughter of course ;)

luvofallhorses
06-30-2005, 12:10 PM
:eek: :( She certainly doesn't sound like an animal lover.

CathyBogart
06-30-2005, 12:13 PM
I don't pity her. Re-home if you have no alternative. Euthanizing your animals just because you can't take them with you is selfish and horrible.

kittycats_delight
06-30-2005, 12:16 PM
I don't even know what to say. I cannot fathom putting my girls to sleep for anything other than absolute necessity due to an uncurable medical condition. I am moving myself within the year and my girls get to take a transatlantic flight which I know will be expensive and then we will have the hassel of customs and immigration too. But I don't care how much problems we have to go through they are going with me. Luckily they will not have to be quarentined.

Suki Wingy
06-30-2005, 01:39 PM
The depths of anguish and loss make me think I got rid of them for purely selfish reasons,

Uh, that is normal, because you DID!!!:mad: :mad: She must have something wrong with her brain.