PDA

View Full Version : Kitty shelter running out of food for....

carole
06-29-2005, 06:34 PM
I posted here because most of you will look here, the kitty shelter my daughter volunteers for is in dire need of kitten food, they got so desperate they had to feed the babies adult food, imagine, not a good ending result, many got sore tummies, it was either that or they starved.

Financially I cannot do much , except donate a few cans, but I am thinking of trying to raise funds in a bigger way, and would appreciate and welcome any ideas from you all.

The shelter often runs a raffle, so I am hoping my Dad who knows many butchers and farmers might beable to get one to donate a meat package, that would be a good prize and one many people would like to win, especially as meat is not cheap these days.,

Well thanks in advance for any ideas you might have.:)

Uabassoon
06-29-2005, 06:39 PM
Do you have any Starbucks in your area? Each store is given a certain amount of money monthly to donate to charity events.

I know that recently another PT member was able to get 3 lbs of coffee donated for a fundraiser she was working on.

kuhio98
06-29-2005, 06:44 PM
We had a garage sale/yard sale/tag sale earlier this month and made $510 (American) for our shelter. Do you have stuff to sell? Books, CD's, videos, DVD's, household goods? Maybe a couple of you could go in together and clean house and sell anything you don't want or need anymore.

At our sale, all the "girly" things sold very quickly... soaps, shampoos, lotions, jewelry but women's clothes did not sell at all.

carole
06-29-2005, 07:00 PM
Thanks, yes we do have starbucks, now I will go approach them as shy as I am, the kitties need the help, so I will see if they can help at all, I might need the shelter's permisson first to use their name etc, I could maybe have a garage sale and a sausage sizzle, then I would not need any permission , just have it and donate, we could get a few of my daughter's friends to donate stuff as well, as i really do not have enough stuff myself, good idea , thanks.;)

NoahsMommy
06-29-2005, 07:06 PM
At our local PetSmart, a woman and her daughter sell Krispy Kreme donuts to benefit the Rabbit Rescue.

Maybe something like that?

How kind of you to care enough to help. :)

carole
06-29-2005, 07:09 PM
kelly if I knew what Kripsy kreme donuts were or they existed here maybe I could lol, hmm they sound delicious anyhow.

Well I figure Kelly I can say oh that is sad and sit on my backside and do nothing, or get off it and at least attempt to help, besides Melissa will come up with some good ideas for sure.

AbbyMom
06-29-2005, 09:09 PM
Carole,

here's a link to the Meow Foundation:

http://www.meowfoundation.com/helpus/fundraisers.html

They make items for sale as a fundraiser. If you know people that can do basic sewing, such as making cat beds, they can be sold for fundaising.

Just a thought....good luck

NoahsMommy
06-29-2005, 09:18 PM
Carole,

Here is their website: http://www.krispykreme.com/ I don't see any near you though. :(

Although, its the same idea as your sausage sizzle. Maybe a bake sale??

Lots of luck!! :)

jazzcat
06-29-2005, 09:23 PM
Carole, if you are going to do a raffle or some kind of contest just call local businesses, explain the situation and ask if they could donate a prize. Make up a flyer listing all the businesses who donate to distribute around - even ask if you can put one up in their business. Call local newspapers and radio stations and ask if they will run a Public Service Announcement about the situation and contest - this should be free.

If things there are like here you will be surprised at how many will probably donate. I used to work in Public Relations and one job I had was the head of a school aluminum recycling contest. I could get pizza places to donate pizzas, Walmart donated gift certificates, sporting good stores donated sport supplies and so on. Be sure to call your local pet stores to try to get them involved and if you tell them there will be some kind of advertising (flyers - public service announcements) they are usually willing to participate. If the cause (the shelter) is non-profit they usually are very willing to help.

I know that is a lot to do but it's a thought. Good luck.

kuhio98
06-29-2005, 10:14 PM
Carole ~ I had a couple of other ideas.
How about a bake sale or a car wash?

Do you know of any kids in Girl Scouts or Boy Scouts? (Are they called Girl Guides, in NZ?) When I was a kid, my Girl Scout troop adopted a shelter as a cause and we raised money (and earned badges) for them.

In the US, most of us have jars and jars full of pennies because they are basically worthless and you sure can't buy anything for one cent anymore. So, we once went door to door (with flyers for the shelter) and collected as many pennies as we could. We got several hundreds of dollars that way. Does NZ have a similar coin? One everyone has a bunch of hanging around the house.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Lisa

carole
06-30-2005, 01:51 AM
Wow wonderful ideas everyone, a lot to take in, I will let you all know what we decide to do.

Yes we have scouts and Girl Guides etc in NZ.

The shelter does already have many sponsers, but I guess they are not enough otherwise the kittens would not have run out of food, they have bins at the local supermarkets along with the SPCA ones as well, just shows you they still need lots more help., there are at least two shelters at the Human Alternative, only one of them ran short.

Look out Kitties here we come.:) :D

AmberLee
06-30-2005, 02:10 AM
I'm very thankful that UABassoon mentioned the Starbucks awhile ago. Due to her suggestion, I contacted a local Starbucks and requested a pound for a raffle and the manager said it wasn't enough, she donated 3 one pound sacks. (We were raising funds for a Fisher House at the local veteran's hospital.) Other donated items were a pet bed that KAK made, and gift cards from local businesses... The biggest money maker was a donated massage from a friend who's a massuse (sp?).

A local fast food chain, Baja Fresh, gave us a percentage of the order cost that patrons showing our flyers spent, and they let us hold a raffle and a bake sale inside the restaurant. Between the three we raised a smidge over $600 US in one day. Do any of your local restaurants have similar fundraising policies?