PDA

View Full Version : Fresh catnip vs. store bought

lv4dogs
06-28-2005, 12:07 PM
I have a few friends that have catnip growing in their yards so of course I pick it for the kitties!
My cats LOVE the fresh stuff. They like the store bought stuff too but they act less crazy with the fresh nip and I think it smells better (after all most store bought stuff has either no odor or just a slight odor).
This stuff is different than the catnip you buy to grow in stores, this stuff is fresh outdoor grown catnip. I'm not sure if it is wild or not but boy oh boy do I love it.

I tried drying some in my house but the cats found a way to get to it, causing a lot of damage to get to it too. lol So I have bundles in my shed drying out. lol lol

Does anyone else use fresh catnip?

sirrahbed
06-28-2005, 12:11 PM
Yes, I do! It grows like crazy after you plant it in the yard and returns every year:) Mine LOVE the stuff!!! I also dry some to use over the winter.

When I do buy dried - I have found that the loose tea made for humans is so much fresher and stronger - inexpensive too. I found mine at a health food store:)

moosmom
06-28-2005, 12:20 PM
My cats are addicts when it comes to fresh catnip!! My friend Kathy has it growing all over her yard. She's my "supplier"!! ;) The key to keeping the stuff fresh is put it in a ziplock bag and store it in the freezer. Stays fresher longer.

lv4dogs
06-28-2005, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
My cats are addicts when it comes to fresh catnip!! My friend Kathy has it growing all over her yard. She's my "supplier"!! ;) The key to keeping the stuff fresh is put it in a ziplock bag and store it in the freezer. Stays fresher longer.

So you put it in the bags & freeze as soon as you pick it or do you dry it first, then as soon as it is dry freeze it?

I didn't know about freezing it. I know that with the store bought stuff I kept it in the fridge (as directed on the package) & it dried out even more, the cats still had the same amount of interest though.

Maresche
06-28-2005, 01:14 PM
I dry my own nip in the oven set to about 200 degrees (or whatever the lowest setting your oven can maintain). Yes, it takes all day (8+) hours, but it is worth it to see the googlie faces the kitties make towards the end. ;)

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-28-2005, 01:23 PM
We have fresh catnip in our garden! Debbie is right: once it is there, it grows like weed!
http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/junif.jpg
It's weird, but neither of my cats touch the plants. They aren't even interested!! BUT, they LOVE the dried stuff! I have a box of dried catnip. It was Jen who sent it few years ago :) .
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/berlut/catnip5.jpg

Last summer I tried to dry some leaves; but I think I didn't do it right :( . They don't like it..... I will try that oven-tip!!

catmandu
06-28-2005, 03:18 PM
THAT IS THE SUCCESS,OF THE ANIMAL WELFARE ASSOCIATION MICE,AND BALLS,AND THAT IS THAT THEY ARE MADE,WITH ONLY,THE FRAM FRESH CAT NIP,AND HAND SEWN,FOR DURABILITY.EXCELLENT VALUE.TONS OF CAT FUN.

smokey the elder
06-28-2005, 03:19 PM
At work they planted a whole bunch of catnip!! I saw it last week by one of the labs. Hmm...a midnight raid may be in order!;)