PDA

View Full Version : got an email from my breeder

lv4dogs
06-28-2005, 10:46 AM
My breeder just emailed me about the appointment dates to see the pups. We (the future owners) are going to visit the pups when they are 4 weeks, then again whent hey are 8, and we can visit anytime in between too.
Well they are 4 weeks now so she emailed me to tell me that the appointments are being set up now. She's srooy for the delay etc... etc...

Here is a quote from the email:
"We will begin inviting people out soon. It's just because of the temperature and also that most people can only come on weekends and that we are gone on weekends that we haven't yet. Also because Story had so few puppies, we don't want anyone getting too attached until we are able to see how many show puppies versus pet puppies we have, as we have several show homes lined up. The good news for any pet/performance people who don't get a puppy from this litter, Kandi's litter is due July 10."

I'm not sure if I misunderstood her or just got too anxious or what but it almost sounds as if she may be beating around the bush & thinks that both males have greaat potential at becoming a show dog. Don't get me wrong thats fine with me, I have first pick out of a pet/performance pup & knew that I may have to wait. But on another note when I first put the deposit down she seemed like no one really had any dibs on a male show dog so that I may have first pick no matter what, because my breeder is about at her limit & unless the perfect show dog came up she would just find a pet home for that one(s).
And believe me you I understand that she has to be this way to be a good breeder but I was also hoping to get my puppy early in the summer so I can complete at least a socialization class & what not before the bad winter weather comes & my driving is limited.
So in a way I'm happy that she may have a lot of show pups out of the litter but In a way I am also disappointed that I may have to wait longer for my pup.
I knew about this before I got my pup but because the breeder told me that I have an awesome chance of getting one out of this litter and I had my hopes up makes me feel disappointed.
But in a way I am kind of happy, I like Kandi's (the mother to be) attitude better, she's got a lot of herding instinct in her & is hyper. I want a crazy dog. I just don't want to wait. lol

I'm not really asking for anything I just had to get that out. lol

finn's mom
06-28-2005, 11:11 AM
I think I'd ask for clarification, that doesn't sound promising to me. :( That would suck if you couldn't get one of the pups you wanted!

Ginger's Mom
06-28-2005, 11:50 AM
I understand completely how you feel. As a matter of fact I think you explained it very nicely how you are pleased for the pups, but disappointed that you may have to wait even longer. They are precious, but I am sure that the next litter will be equally adorable, and maybe even have more of the disposition that you like. However, I would not get to disappointed yet. Since that looks like a generic e-mail, you may still be able to get one from this litter, if you like the boy who is not show quality. I think that Finn's Mom is right, in that it may be a good idea to e-mail her back and ask for clarification on the boys. Either way, I am sure you will pick one wonderful little boy that will make you smile everyday. I can't wait to see which one you chose. :)

lv4dogs
06-28-2005, 11:55 AM
There is no clarification on the boys though. As with any dog & any good breeder you do not know if a show dog is a show dog until they are 8 weeks old. Even then you may not know, maybe they have all the qualifactions at that age but as they grow they change (personality or structure etc...)

Or am I misunderstanding your posts too, on what to clarify? lol

As I stated before I knew about all this I guess I just wasn't expecting it to happen. lol lol
I just needed to get my feelings out.

finn's mom
06-28-2005, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by lv4dogs
Or am I misunderstanding your posts too, on what to clarify? lol

This is what you said, so, I meant to clarify this confusion on your part....

"I'm not sure if I misunderstood her or just got too anxious or what but it almost sounds as if she may be beating around the bush & thinks that both males have greaat potential at becoming a show dog."

lv4dogs
06-28-2005, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by finn's mom
This is what you said, so, I meant to clarify this confusion on your part....

"I'm not sure if I misunderstood her or just got too anxious or what but it almost sounds as if she may be beating around the bush & thinks that both males have great potential at becoming a show dog."

ooops, duh sorry!
I did say that but I'm not sure if I ment it in that way. You see the breeder told me from day one they don't really decide on show dogs until they are 8 weeks of age. So she's really not going to say anything until then so someone does not get too attatched.

I guess what I ment is I'm not sure how I should take the email. But there really isn't a way to know until they are 8 weeks of age.

I guess I could ask her what she thinks their potential at being a show dog would be at this point in time.

Thanks & sorry for misunderstanding everything. lol I knew I should of stayed in bed today. lol

IRescue452
06-28-2005, 01:36 PM
I hope you get your puppy as you've been waiting so long. These pups must have great potential. Lets hope she doesn't want to break her male limit and keep them.

lv4dogs
06-28-2005, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by IRescue452
These pups must have great potential. Lets hope she doesn't want to break her male limit and keep them.

She won't keep another male unless he's perfect but there's always the chance that someone put a deposit on a male show puppy after I put down a deposit on a male pet/performance puppy.

KYS
06-28-2005, 06:38 PM
I understand how you feel too.
I would want to know too as soon as possible
which litter I would be getting my puppy from.
It just the not knowing
that would bug me.
But untill the breeder
picks out her show pups you will have to be patient. :)

Talk about patient:
My friend from England has been
waiting for a show pup from a certain
breeder for 2 years.
Finally the breeding pair that she has been waiting
for had a litter of pups, and she
still has no idea if she is even high enough on the
breeders list.
Talk about patience. :p

lv4dogs
06-29-2005, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by KYS
Talk about patient:
My friend from England has been
waiting for a show pup from a certain
breeder for 2 years.
Finally the breeding pair that she has been waiting
for had a litter of pups, and she
still has no idea if she is even high enough on the
breeders list.
Talk about patience. :p

I guess I should count my blessings as my breeder knows & tells exactly who is where on the list. I am the first for a merle male pet/performance.
What breed of dog is your friend getting?

I'm also lucky as when this litter is 8 weeks the litter from Kandi will be 2 weeks. So even if I have a choice of either/both males of the first litter I can see the second litter & can pick between either. The only downfall is if I do not choose one from the first litter, there is a possibility that by the time the other litter is 8 weeks they may be all show dogs.
But because of Kandi's high herding drive & Jason (the dad of both litters) hyperness the breeder thinks that most of her pups will be for pet/performance.

KYS
06-29-2005, 08:53 AM
posted by lv4dogs:I guess I should count my blessings as my breeder knows & tells exactly who is where on the list. I am the first for a merle male pet/performance.
What breed of dog is your friend getting? >>>>>>>

I think it is great how your breeder keeps in touch with you.
I stopped bugging my friend about it.

My friend is waiting patiently for a Akita pup.

I could be wrong, but I would not worry about the
whole litter being only show pups.

I can't wait till you get your new pup.
I love puppy breath.