PDA

View Full Version : "The Cat Who..." Books

prechrswife
06-27-2005, 06:31 PM
My mother has been reading "The Cat Who..." books by Lillian Jackson Braun for several years now. She has been telling me that I would enjoy them and passed along a few of hers for me to read. Now that school is out and I actually have time to read, I've started on them. They are really enjoyable books--very quick reads. I think this series has been mentioned here before but it bears repeating. (If you are not familiar with the series, it is about a confirmed bachelor newspaper reporter and his two Siamese cats. They are mysteries, and make for great light reading.)

NoahsMommy
06-27-2005, 06:37 PM
Karen (wolflady) turned me onto these, they are good! :)

momoffuzzyfaces
06-27-2005, 06:46 PM
I love these books. I just finished her latest one: The Cat who went Bananas (or something like that).:D

Edwina's Secretary
06-27-2005, 06:48 PM
They are fun books..... my favorite line from them is when the girlfriend refers to herself as "a perfect size 14!" as if that is the perfect size. You go girl!

catmandu
06-27-2005, 08:41 PM
THEY ARE NO LONGER,AS GOOD,AS THEY USED TO BE.
IT WAS A MISTAKE,TO MAKE THE JAMES QWILLERAN CHARACTER WEALTHY,AS IT ELIMINATES HIS NEED,TO INVESTIGATE.
THE MYSTERY ELEMENTS,HAVE BEEN IGNORED,IN THE LAST ENTRIES,TO THE DETRIMENT,OF THE SERIES.
HE NO LONGER,DISCLOSES,THE INDENTITY,OF THE MURDERER,YOU FIND ABOUT IT AFTERWARDS.
MIDNIGHT LOUIE,IS MUCH BETTER,NOW.
SAD,AS THE FIRST ENTRIES,WERE QUITE GOOD.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos934.jpg

lady_zana
06-28-2005, 06:20 AM
If you like the 'Cat Who' books, try the Mrs. Murphy mysteries by Rita Mae Brown and Sneaky Pie Brown. They feature two cats and a dog that help their owner solve mysteries and the animals can speak to each other and all other animals that live around them. Only the humans can't understand them. I love them; I just eat them right up every time a new one comes out. Hey, when a cat helps write them, you know they're good! :D

Mad Mags Moo
06-28-2005, 07:53 AM
I love The Cat Who...books!!!! They are brilliant and so easy to read, just finished 2 in the last few days, laugh out loud with the cat antics and the way they are described!!! :D

lbaker
06-28-2005, 08:14 AM
I have read every one of the "Cat Who" books and agree with Lady_Zana.. if you like "Cat Who" try Mrs Murphy! Excellent!! :D

sirrahbed
06-28-2005, 08:45 AM
My DIL bought me one for Christmas but I have not read it yet:o My bad!

I will have to read it soon as they do sound very cute!! It is The Cat Who Said Cheese.

Lacey
06-28-2005, 02:38 PM
Oooo! Next time I hit the used bookstore, I may have to zip by the mystery section to pick up a couple of these!

However, if your tastes lean more towards fantasy than mystery, I'd like recommend The Catswold Portal by Shirley Rousseau Murphy (I give it 3 and a half paws out of 4) and Tailchaser's Song by Tad Williams (3 out of 4 paws).

And, while not cat-centric, the books in the Redwall series by Brian Jacques make for excellent reads!

catnapper
06-28-2005, 02:53 PM
I love the series as well. They are always charming and delightful stories... I get so sick of reading contemporary books that throw in too much graphic detail abotu sex or violence (I know, I know, whine whine whine! :D )

They are quick reads, and half the time I can never guess who did it! LOL

JenBKR
06-28-2005, 02:57 PM
I have seen those books before, and thought they looked good. I never bought one though. I'll have to go out and get one, sounds good!

manda_moo87
06-28-2005, 03:05 PM
I've known a few people who've read them and told me they are quite good. I guess I'll have to start reading them!

orangemm
06-28-2005, 03:15 PM
I love them, too, but I have to agree with Catmandu; I kinda liked Qwilleran when he was a poor boy. BUT, he does do good work with his money, so I can't fault him on that.

The cats themselves have me wishing for a Meezer!

catmandu
07-01-2005, 06:57 PM
ITS JUST,THE FACT,THAT HE DOES NOT TRACK,THE MURDERED DOWN,HIMSELF,USING THE CLUES PROVUDED BY KOKO.
YOU FIND OUT AFTERWARDS,SECOND HAND.
THESE RAE MYSTERY NOVELS,BUT REALLY,WITH JMEAS QWILLERAN,PUTTING,THE PIECES TOGETHER,AND COMING UP,WITH THE CULPRIT.
I LOVE THE MRS MURPHY,TOO,BUT THE BEST,IS STILL ED MCBAIN,AND THE 87TH PRECICNT MYSTERIES,ALMOST 50 YERAS,OLD,AND STILL THE BEST.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Picture547.jpg

lbaker
07-01-2005, 07:13 PM
Ed McMain is GREAT Gary, have you read any Travis McGee??

catmandu
07-02-2005, 09:42 AM
ACTUALLY,I HAVE,BUT NOT FOR A WHILE.I WILL HAVE,TO SEE WHAT TITLES THEY HAVE,AT THE LIBRARY.
AND I AM UNABLE TO FIND THE DETECTIVE SERIES,WRITTEN BY ERLE STANLEY GARNDER,UNDER HIS AA FAIR NAME.
HE HAD A WHOLE SERIES,OF DONALD LAM,AND BERTHA COOL DETECTIVE SERIES,THAT WERE FUNNY.
AND THE CHESTER HIMES COFFIN ED,AND GRAVEDIGGER JONES HARLEM SERIES,WERE EXCELLENT,AS WELL.

momoffuzzyfaces
07-09-2005, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by catmandu
ITS JUST,THE FACT,THAT HE DOES NOT TRACK,THE MURDERED DOWN,HIMSELF,USING THE CLUES PROVUDED BY KOKO.
YOU FIND OUT AFTERWARDS,SECOND HAND.
THESE RAE MYSTERY NOVELS,BUT REALLY,WITH JMEAS QWILLERAN,PUTTING,THE PIECES TOGETHER,AND COMING UP,WITH THE CULPRIT.
I LOVE THE MRS MURPHY,TOO,BUT THE BEST,IS STILL ED MCBAIN,AND THE 87TH PRECICNT MYSTERIES,ALMOST 50 YERAS,OLD,AND STILL THE BEST.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Picture547.jpg Just a note: I heard the man who wrote as Ed McBain just died, I think it was Thursday, of cancer.

catmandu
07-10-2005, 11:18 AM
I AM IN SHOCK,AS I JUST SAW,ON CBS,AN OBITUARY,FOR EVAN HUNTER AKA ED MCBAIN.
I HAVE BEEN READING HIS NOVELS,FOR AS LONG,AS I CAN REMEMBER,AND THERE WILL BE A LAST ONE,FIDDLERS,WHICH WILL COMPLTERE 50 YEARS,OF THE 87TH PRECINCT.
I LOOKED FORWARD,TO THE NEW INSTALLMENTS,NOW ANOTHER PLEASURE,WILL BE DENIED MYSTERY LOVERS,EVERYWHERE.
RIP,TO ONE,OF MY FAVORITE WRITERS.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos1118.jpg

lady_zana
07-10-2005, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Lacey
Oooo! Next time I hit the used bookstore, I may have to zip by the mystery section to pick up a couple of these!

However, if your tastes lean more towards fantasy than mystery, I'd like recommend The Catswold Portal by Shirley Rousseau Murphy (I give it 3 and a half paws out of 4) and Tailchaser's Song by Tad Williams (3 out of 4 paws).

And, while not cat-centric, the books in the Redwall series by Brian Jacques make for excellent reads!

Is the The Catsworld Portal one of her Joe Grey mysteries? I'm reading my first Joe Grey mystery (and my first book by Murphy) and I'm really liking it. I didn't care of it at first with the cats that could actually talk to people but once I got into it, I'm really starting to like it.

lady_zana
07-10-2005, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by lady_zana
Is the The Catsworld Portal one of her Joe Grey mysteries? I'm reading my first Joe Grey mystery (and my first book by Murphy) and I'm really liking it. I didn't care of it at first with the cats that could actually talk to people but once I got into it, I'm really starting to like it.

Oops! I just saw you said those weren't mysteries. Sorry!

catlady1945
07-11-2005, 07:13 AM
I have read a lot of "The Cat Who....." books. They are very funny, & the fact that a cat is the star is a bonus!