PDA

View Full Version : Sunburn - Please Help

elizabethann
06-27-2005, 06:13 PM
You'd think after all these years I would know to put sunscreen on when I'm going to be out for a long time. Iv'e been so good at doing that for the past 6-7 years but I just blew it this weekend. My shoulders, chest, back & top of feet are burned to a crisp. I am VERY fair skin...almost invisible.

Does anybody have any advice to stop the pain and the itching? I bought some Lanacain stuff at the drugstore but it really isn't helping. I plan on NOT taking a shower for a few days (P.U.) just so that I don't dry out my skin and it starts itching like mad.

Does anybody have any other suggestions? Does anybody feel my pain. Woa is me.

:(

PJ's Mom
06-27-2005, 06:16 PM
Have you tried Noxema? It's got a great cooling effect. ;)

buckner
Aloe Vera! Anything with it. I've used lotions with it, but I suggest the green gel stuff. It feels sooo good on a sunburn because it makes your skin feel real cool.

You need to take a shower, but maybe not right away. It may hurt a bit at first, but just have it on warm water, and not HOT. It'll feel a lot better once you get used to it.

I hope you feel better! Sunburns really suck.

chocolatepuppy
Lotion with aloe in it always helped me a bit. :)

elizabethann
06-27-2005, 06:18 PM
I'll try the Aloe Vera. I almost picked some gel up today too, but I thought "nah...this Lanacain will work". Now I'm kicking myself in the butt.

I used to use Noxema but I heard it was bad for a sunburn. Not sure if that changed since I heard that report. I'll have to look it up on the internet.

Thanks for the advice!

P.S. I don't want to take a shower! It's going to hurt!!!!

:D

cali
06-27-2005, 06:18 PM
put sunscreen ON the sunburn , the cool feeling really helps, also get youself an aloe vera plant, the leaves split open and rub the iside of the plant on your burn, and with a plant you will have a never ending supply of the stuff lol

NoahsMommy
06-27-2005, 06:19 PM
Soaking in a cool bath will help the pain...and the heat.

I did the same thing on my cruise a few weeks ago. I'm STILL peeling...ick! The only thing that stopped the pain was some stuff we picked up in Mexico that was for sunburns. Not sure what it was.

Feel better. ouch! :(

elizabethann
06-27-2005, 06:20 PM
Sunscreen on the burn? Interesting. I'll have to try that one. I can't have an aloe plant because I know I'll kill it. I kill anything that's green. I have a brown thumb.

:(

LeahMM
06-27-2005, 06:21 PM
you have sun?:eek:

I'm sorry that you are in so much pain. All of the suggestions here are good ones. Heal soon.

Ginger's Mom
06-27-2005, 06:26 PM
Yes, aloe is good for the sunburn, it will help to cool it. I agree with Sara, a nice warm (just a little warm) will also help. And, believe it or not, when I was younger, a doctor said you should take aspirin for the pain of a sunburn. I do sympathize. Good luck too you.

elizabethann
06-27-2005, 06:57 PM
O.K. I went and bought some aloe vera gel. Let's hope it works. I also bought a candy bar to help ease the pain.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Wear sunscreen!

:D

wolfsoul
06-27-2005, 07:21 PM
I got totally burnt at an agility tourney yesterday ---11 hours outside in the sun - yikes! My face is red as a cherry. :rolleyes:

I like to have a shower in nice cool water and then put on some Udderly Smooth lotion. You can buy a tube at Wal-mart for only 2 something. It's the best lotion ever.