PDA

View Full Version : My mouse has issues!

puggywuggles41893
06-27-2005, 05:47 PM
Help! My fancy mouse is having problems with her eye! It looks swollen, it's bleeding around the eye, and it is almost closed up. The problem has been going on for about a week. I have been waiting for it to get better. Some days it looks better and other days it looks even more swollen. Does anyone know what I should do or what the problem is??

(kind of blurry but you can see the right eye)
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/livster1c/100_1342.jpg

Scooby4
06-27-2005, 06:46 PM
Your mouse may have something in it's eye like wood shavings. Maybe try a drop of visine to rinse the eye out. Do it maybe a few times in a day or two to see if anything washes out. Maybe remove some of the shavings while treating so not to get re-infected.
I almost want to suggest a possible poisoning situation? Anyone apposed to the mouse? Could the food been exposed to any contaminates?
I would suggest finding an eye wash solution for small animals if you don't have visine or can't decide the appropriate kind. They may also have an antiseptic eye salve available over the counter. I usually have gotten the eye salve from the vet.
It is a cute mouse and hope it gets better. It hasn't been fighting has it? Good luck!

puggywuggles41893
06-28-2005, 12:11 AM
Thanks so much!

EricLove
07-09-2005, 10:21 PM
You may try changing it's bedding. Try useing aspine for just a little bit.. Also rodents have what is known as perfurom. their tears and mucos is red in color. It worrys a lot of people.. I would start it on some antibiotics just to be safe.. The most wide spectrium of antibiotics would be baytril.. It's a little costly and you have to get it from a vet. another option is to use tetracycline in it's water supply. You can get this from any good pet store. You will find it in the fish supply section.. It's used as a fish wormer.. 1 250mg capsel will mix with 28 to 32 oz of water.. use a small water bottle and keep extra in the ice box.. It will last for about a week in the fridge.. change the water bottle daily.. you can also mix 1 250mg with 5cc's of water for a more aggressave treatment. Give 1ml per day. treat for 14 days.. This should help with any infections.. Best of luck.. if you have any questions please feel free to call on me or drop by our care page at our site.

dk4joy
07-25-2005, 12:21 PM
Poor little guy, it looks sore. My daughter & I have had a few mice. They're such gentle, cute, fun little critters. We did have one that got a sore eye like that & it was just the beginning of the end for her. Our mice usually lived a little over a year. Such a short life for our little friends:(