PDA

View Full Version : Kayakers and Canoers

Edwina's Secretary
06-26-2005, 10:17 PM
Glacier's thread made me think of this....

We recently bought two "new style" kayaks. We LOVE them....

kayaks (http://www.snacattack.com/hobie.html)

Glacier
06-27-2005, 01:37 AM
Cool. Those look like fun.

The sit-on-top and pedal models aren't seen up much here. The water is way too cold no matter how warm the air is!

Barbara
06-27-2005, 03:08 AM
I WANT A KAYAK TOO! I would love to have sea kayak with paddles but not sit-on-top.

We have a small sailing boat however.

It was difficult to find a picture:

http://soltwaters.de/boatpics/Korti-ok.jpg

Our is all wood- no colour outside but I just must say it looks good with colour too. Have to think about that

:D

Glacier
06-27-2005, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Barbara
I WANT A KAYAK TOO! I would love to have sea kayak with paddles but not sit-on-top.

We have a small sailing boat however.

:D

I love my sea kayak. I think my hubby would like a sit-on-top model, but it's just too cold here for them. I wear a wetsuit most of the time when I paddle, just in case!

Nice sailboat!!! It's beautiful.

ramanth
06-27-2005, 10:36 AM
Ohh!! Both the kayaks and sailboat look like fun! :)

Edwina's Secretary
06-27-2005, 11:13 AM
how does the water temp make a difference? I do not get wet (except when Don flipped over getting in once.....:D ) so why would "on the top" be less warm than in the hull?

Glacier
06-27-2005, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
how does the water temp make a difference? I do not get wet (except when Don flipped over getting in once.....:D ) so why would "on the top" be less warm than in the hull?

It probably wouldn't make a difference in flat water, but in any kind of swells, a sit-on-top would be colder. That's what the guy I bought my boat from said anyway. He doesn't even bring the sit on top models in. I think they look like fun though.

Our air and water temps are also probably much colder than where you are. Most of our water stays just a few degrees above freezing even during the warmer months. I dress to get wet every time I go out. It rarely happens, unless I flip on purpose, but in some of our lakes and rivers, you have 3 minutes in the water before hypothermia sets in. Paddling in shorts and t-shirt is not an option for me.