PDA

View Full Version : 9/11 widow blows 4.5 million dollars

RICHARD
06-26-2005, 01:03 PM
I was wondering who saw that interview?

I absolutey LOVE Susie Orman ( i think she is a condescending biatch that uses people in dire financial straights to belittle on her show)...She is some money managing wacko...she gives advice on financial problems.

She was talking to a 9/11 widow who was given 5 million because her hubby died, he worked for Cantor Fitzgerald, on one of the Towers.

From what I understand, this gal sat at home and spent all that money..
----------------------------------------

This gal has a 90 thousand dollar mortgage on her house. and some other 140,000 dollar bill....

She also bought 200 pair of shoes, jeans, spent 340,000 dollars so her kids could have a basketball court, pool and jaccuzi in their year.

She paid a house keeper 15k to buy a house, 3k for a watch as a gift and paid for friend to have a breast job....7k!!!

Somewhere during the interview with the widow the subject of people criticizing her spending habits (pool, shoes etc.) came up....

Orman told the woman something like...."It's none of their business how you spent that money....."

BTW the widow also had two monthly checks from the government coming in to her mail box each month.

----------------------------------------------------------

At MY work we had a chance to cash in some vacation time to donate to the 9/11 fund.

Had I known I was going to pay for some stupid cow to buy shoes to wear, buy her kids a pool and B-ball court-a watch for a friend and boobs for someone else, I would have gladly kept the money for myself.....

I would have taken some of it and gone to a strip club for the third time in my life.

At least I could have rented some implants for the evening....as it goes I'll never get a chance to see the ones that I financed by giving my vacation time away....

But then again, It was 'vacation' time I donated for her escapades....And I am glad her vacation is coming to an end...

Like all vacations you are left with memories, no money and the satisfaction that you weren't working....

Edwina's Secretary
06-26-2005, 03:49 PM
Richard....there you go again!

Expecting gratitude....first you wanted France to be grateful and support the US regardless and now you want this woman to account for her spending.

What did you expect her to do with 4.5 mil?

When you give.... you give...;) ;) :D

moosmom
06-26-2005, 04:35 PM
At least I could have rented some implants for the evening

RICHARD,

:eek: Which kind of implants are we talking here???

RICHARD
06-26-2005, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary

Expecting gratitude....first you wanted France to be grateful and support the US regardless and now you want this woman to account for her spending.

What did you expect her to do with 4.5 mil?

When you give.... you give...;) ;) :D

next time i'll give it to soldier's families.....or straght to the government for soldier's equipment.

What did I expect???

a few dollars put away for the kid's education, college maybe..
What is a semester at a good college? maybe one of her kids has HALF a brain and and a good education might just tip it in the kid's favor????

I didn't hear about her squirreling away a few bucks for her or the kid's future.....but maybe she can get another old man who will support her in the way she has become accustomed to.

Ah. The French......

I remember a time when we wanted to pass over their country to deliver a little message to a jerk holed up in Libya......

I must be part elephant I still ain't forgot that one.

----------------------------------

Moosmom,

What kind of implants??

I don't know!

The widow never said if they were saline or plastic.....

As for me??

I don't know.....I don't rent boobs!!!

:confused: :D :eek: :o

NoahsMommy
06-26-2005, 07:35 PM
I have to agree with Richard on this one. I know that when you give money, its up to the reciever how they want to spend it...but the reasons for giving were a bit different.

I donated to the Red Cross...I figured that helped.

A boob job for a friend. I'm sure her hubby would be proud. :(

K9soul
06-26-2005, 07:51 PM
I can't help but find it disgusting too. I would expect a widow to use the money to pay off the mortgage or debts, put her kids through college, get things that are needed. Sure I'd have no problem if she got herself a few nice things too but this seems absolutely ridiculous and exploitive of people's charity. I'm not trying to be judgmental but that kind of thing really bothers me.

RICHARD
06-26-2005, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy

A boob job for a friend. I'm sure her hubby would be proud. :(

And the point that Orman made over and over again was the last phone call she got from her husband....

His last word to her were, "Take care of the kids."..........

I am sorry that her husband was one of three thousand people who died that day....but what kind of legacy is a basketball court and 200 pairs of shoes?

We all have different ways to grieve...

but shopping????

----------------

those kids lost two parents.....one to effing terrorists and the other to dead presidents......

go figure!

gemini9961
06-27-2005, 01:54 AM
I feel it's almost af is she is exploiting her own husband's tragic death for her own benefit. Yikes she needs help.

Scooby4
06-27-2005, 11:59 AM
The way the people of the 9/11 were compensated has always been an issue. Due to the fact that typically life insurance payouts or even wrongful death lawsuits, the surviving spouse or relative is to be kept in a lifestyle they are somewhat used to. A fireman's wife would never have the life style of a wife of a stockbroker on the top floor of a Trade tower. However, more money may go to that spouse of a stockbroker over the fireman's wife. Due to the fact that their lifestyle was already being lead at a higher rate than the other person.
To us who donated money or who watch from the outside, this seems totally ridicolous. We think that the fireman's wife deserved the more money. However, would the fireman's wife feel better or be better now that she is richer than when her husband was alive? Could you imagine the guilt? Do you think that any of these widows would not return the money for one second to see their husbands again?
We donate money to a variety of causes everyday. Let's take the "Jerry's Kids" MS charity. Where do you think the money goes for this charity? It is always claims that it supports the researchers in finding new medications or treatments. Well what does that involve? It involves paying these people their SALARIES! The researchers live off this money so they can work and make changes. Essentially, the money is being spent on the researcher's lifestyles. Your NOT giving this money directly to the MS patients. Your giving it so these patients have people working for them to cure them.
So would you take offense if your neighbor next door is a researcher for MS and bought a jacuzzi? Put the whole situation in perspective. The lady going through the money, has spending issues. She probably had them before 9/11. However, atleast she was smart enough to pay off the house so the kids would never lose their home despite her bad spending habits.
I always believe: Give a poor person a million dollars and a rich person a million dollars.... A year later the poor person will be broke and the rich person will be richer. Poor people don't know how to handle money and rich people do. Hence, I am republican!!!

Edwina's Secretary
06-27-2005, 01:06 PM
If whoever gave her this money wanted to dictate how she spent it....that should hve been the deal. Children's education...put it in a trust. I don't like how she spent her money but once it was given....it was her money!

Pit Chick
06-27-2005, 04:27 PM
People in these kinds of situations shouldn't have to have their spending dictated, they should be humbled enough to not blow it all on unnecessary stupidity. It's not like she earned this money or won the lottery and therefore it wouldn't matter how she spent it. Her husband's life and other people's generous donations paid for a bunch of BS and because of that, people are going to think twice about donating to "good causes" again. Other innocent people who would have spent/saved money like this wisely will have to suffer later for her greedy behavior now. She was only thinking about the satisfaction of the moment and not on her children's future. How dare her.

carole
06-27-2005, 04:41 PM
Why did the women go on this show in the first place, it is IMO her business how she spent the money, but she went on Public Television and told everyone, which now makes it everyone's business.

I think 4.5 million is a bit extreme, although there is no value on anyone's life, a million or two would have been sufficent compensation I think.

People do grieve in different ways', and maybe this helps comfort her through her loss somehow,it is not my idea of grieving sure, but then I don't want to judge someone like her, when I have never been in her shoes, I have never lost someone in a tragic circumstances like 9/11, and I have never had that much money given to me, who know's how I would react, doubt I would do as she did, mine would go to helping a lot of other people, my family, friends, and the kitties of course, but every person's idea of happiness is different.

I Can understand those who gave to this cause, being upset all the same, we give to charity , in the hope it will be used wisely, but as it has been said, once it was given to her, it was her's to do with as she liked.

KYS
06-27-2005, 06:00 PM
K9soul: I would expect a widow to use the money to pay off the mortgage or debts, put her kids through college, get things that are needed. >>>>>>>>

I'm with you on this one.
Amazing. :rolleyes:

lizbud
06-27-2005, 06:26 PM
I agree with Orman. She can spend the money foolishly if she
chooses. I didn't see the interview, but I hope she she saved
some of the money for her kid's college education.

RICHARD
06-27-2005, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary

Expecting gratitude....first you wanted France to be grateful

What are we supposed to do?

Keep Lance Armstrong at home?:rolleyes:

---------------------------------------

I could give a flying shiat about gratitude.

THAT wasn't my intent..... gratitude for a donation????

Nope.

It was to give a woman or kid a chance. To keep their house, make college reality, not a dream, keep food on the table.

This gal took 5 mil AND takes two monthly checks from the US government....

Yep, it's her money now-or what's left of it....

I didn't expect GRATITUDE nor did I expect a 'Thank You'.....I expected common sense, or some kid, in the Class of '10, '12 or '13 to stop and think about the people that stopped for a couple of seconds to make sure that he or she got something they would have lost otherwise.

They did lose, one or in some cases both parents.

The money wasn't going to make up for that.

It would have made one dark day turn into a brighter future.

Yep it was her money once I let go of it.....and now it belongs to someone else because she pi$$ed it away.

A business man who loses 4.5 million is a bad business man.
A widow who loses 4.5 is just a widow that lost 4.5 million.

Go figure..:confused:

carole
06-28-2005, 04:38 PM
I would imagine with that big amount of compensation there would be enough to go around for the shoes, and all the things like college education as well don't you think?

RICHARD
06-28-2005, 09:02 PM
I watched 80% of the interview.....
I don't remember them mentioning any kind of trust fund for the kids.:(

DJFyrewolf36
06-29-2005, 10:36 AM
People like this really annoy me...

She probibly mourns the money more than she mourns her husband...and are her kids really happy?

Although I bet she can pay her bills by charging people 5 bucks for the privilage of slapping her upside the head. I know I'd stand in line.

carole
06-29-2005, 06:17 PM
Hey steady on , I think that is way too judgemental, we donot know the woman personally, to say she does not or has not grieved for her husband is really unfair and a little unkind to say the least., be careful not to judge someone until you have walked in their shoes.

Richard seems to be the only one who saw most of the interview, so we have only his opinion to go by really.

DJFyrewolf36
06-29-2005, 06:52 PM
Wasn't trying to be judgemental, I've just seen numerous interviews with people who have gotten death benifits from 9/11 (and from other disasters) and they all seemed to be more emotional over the money than the death of thier loved one. Also if it were me, I would want to honor my loved one by providing for the kids in a meaningful and positive way. In my opinion, material posessions did not and will not benifit those kids in the long term. I really don't think that her husband when he said to provide for the kids meant that he wanted her to get herself 200 pairs of shoes...

Its sad really. Once money gets involved it seems like common sense flies out the window. Then again Im one of those people that is against the acumulation of "stuff".

Also, I find it distasteful of the woman to parade her problems on national television. It just seems tacky to me. Does anyone know if she got paid to do this interview? I'm curious.

Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers carole, and if I offended you I really do apologise! *Siriously!* Disgusting displays of material wealth have always annoyed me. I probibly should have emoted a lot less though.

carole
06-29-2005, 07:06 PM
No need for an apology, I am not in the least bit offended, how can I be, I understand what you are saying, I just thought you were a tad harsh in your judgement.

Actually 200 prs of shoes is not a lot considering she got 4.5 million dollars, I would really have to have seen the interview to make further comments,Did you see it then? if so you will know more than me.

Carole unruffles her feathers, te he,just kiddin.:) :D

DJFyrewolf36
06-30-2005, 01:02 AM
I read a news report about the interview, although I would have actually liked to have seen it so I can judge for myself. (the media does tend to have a bit of a baised attitude at times ;) )

LOL although as I reply I am thinking that I only have THREE pairs of shoes to my name...and thats actually quite a lot for me. For the longest time I only had one pair. I can't immagine the pain of having to try and pick a pair to wear if I had 200 of em :confused:

carole
06-30-2005, 02:07 AM
Yep I am not big in the shoes department either, still 200 is not such a lot when you have 4.5 million to spend, I think Imelda Marco's and the celebs could give her a run for her money.:D

mandy2323
08-07-2005, 10:29 PM
i never saw that.............