PDA

View Full Version : Firework season

IRescue452
06-25-2005, 07:48 PM
Fireworks time again. I'm wishing everybody and their pets a safe fireworks season. Somebody is doing them outside and Autumn is barking to get out in the action. Anybody find this time of year as much a pain as I do because of the fireworks?

LeahMM
06-25-2005, 07:51 PM
Niki, Bozy and Cody dont mind fireworks at all so I had no worries in the past. Buddy was not with us last year and I found out a couple of weeks ago that he is terrified of fireworks. So poor Buddy will have to be confined to my bathroom all by himself on the 4th.:(

finn's mom
06-25-2005, 07:55 PM
I don't know that Finn has ever heard them before. I took my dog, Bruno, to a show once, and, he hated it. We were there about five seconds. ;) There was a couple there with a tiny baby, I felt horrible for the child. :( It's got to just kill their ears! I wish everyone to be safe during this time of year, too! Good thread to start!

luvofallhorses
06-25-2005, 07:56 PM
I hate firework season :( Jenny, Buster, and Ginger are besides themselves when it is firework season, I just cannot wait until it's over with!

chocolatepuppy
06-25-2005, 08:12 PM
I was just talking to my husband about this before I got on here! My sister invited us to a cookout and fire on July 2nd. I told him, yea, like we could leave our babies here alone! Not where we live! They'll be carrying on all weekend! They dogs aren't too afraid of the noise although they do bark. My one cat Sassy is terrified of loud noises and I would never leave her in the evening around the 4th! I'll never understand why someone would set off firecrackers non stop for hours, just to hear all that noise :confused:

Bigyummydog
06-25-2005, 08:31 PM
I love to watch fireworks. MAXIMUS goes nuts. He barks on and on while running everywhere. Pressley had the strings you pull apart and MAXIMUS tried to bite it. Is he afraid they are going to hurt us, or is he just afraid? I still haven't figured it out. I want him to be involved and go with us to do our own little bit. But, I don't want him scared either. And we can't leave him home alone to deal with it either. I think we are going up on the mountain and watch the shows in town to see the big ones.

Yes..... It is a real pain.

chocolatepuppy
06-25-2005, 08:45 PM
It's not the fireworks or even some of the whistling rockets that seem to be the problem, at least not for us, it's more the firecrackers with that constant banging. But all in all, the constant noise combined, does get on the dogs nerves.

Suki Wingy
06-25-2005, 08:47 PM
Hmm, I know it can be hard with some puppers, but Niño is cool, he is just the way chilled out doggie that he *sometimes* can be! We can see the 'works right up close from our sidewalk, even some from other towns, and Niño's always been perfectly fine. However, I do know many dogs can act up, so I too would like to wish luck to any dog parents who's furbabies don't like fireworks.

Oggyflute
06-26-2005, 12:43 AM
Oggy & Flute are reall good with fire works, but we haven't had Possum go through a loud display yet. Hopefully she will be OK with it.

Glacier
06-26-2005, 12:49 AM
One of the nice things about the sun never setting is that no one sets off fireworks. You can't see them anyway so no one bothers!

PJ's Mom
06-26-2005, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by IRescue452
Anybody find this time of year as much a pain as I do because of the fireworks?

I do. The dogs hate them, the cats hate them and I worry about idiots burning the house down. I hate this time of year. :(

vinjashira
06-26-2005, 02:35 AM
I'm lucky, Snowy is not scared of fireworks.

I take Snowy upstair and put her near the window so she can see the fireworks. She is not pleased/scared.. in fact not really bothered :D

She doesn't mind thunder either.. she can sleep through a thunder storm.

Soapets
06-26-2005, 07:36 AM
My two dogs, Sandi and Oreo, are TERRIFIED of firecrackers. I have to give them mild tranquilizers every day during the fireworks open season, to help keep them calm and to keep them from being so frightened. We absolutely HATE this time of the year!

Kfamr
06-26-2005, 07:52 AM
All three are terrified. :(
Nala gets sick when she gets scared sometimes. :(

chrissycat21
06-26-2005, 08:13 AM
Snowy freaks out at any loud noise. She wedges herself in the tiniest space that she can fit in. (she has gotten herself stuck before, it took an hour to get her out!) :(

cyber-sibes
06-26-2005, 08:37 AM
Mine don't like them either. They hide, but no barking or anything. They just stay out of sight. Now that we're in the country it isn't nearly so bad. Hope everyone's puppers do ok--

lizbud
06-26-2005, 11:15 AM
Smokey hates fireworks noise.:( This is Maggie's first summer
hearing them, so I don't know yet how she will be with them. They have already begun setting them off around here & they
are a pain in the butt.:mad:

I feel so bad for Smokey & try to time his outties before dark
because he literally shakes with fear when he's outside. He's not
so bad inside the house anymore. We've worked on this before.

Just can't wait for this season to be over & done with.

IRescue452
06-26-2005, 12:24 PM
Autumn's not really afraid of them she just wants to bark at them. What I really hate is the stupid teenagers who set off bottle rockets and illegal fireworks near houses with no regard to people kids and animals who are nearby and could get hit.

Jamieejo85
06-26-2005, 12:26 PM
This will be both my dogs first firework season. I hope it doesn't scare them too much....

clara4457
06-26-2005, 12:32 PM
I hate this time of year. Both Leo and Penny get very stressed with fireworks - and just found out that Barney does as well.

Oh Boy. I always close all the windows, crank up the air conditioner and turn on every television in the house.

elizabethann
06-26-2005, 12:45 PM
We have fireworks going off in the ballfield just 75 yards from where I live. Last year, I shut all the windows, turned the t.v. on but both my dog and 2 cats ran right under the bed. I think this year I'll bring my dog to my sisters who lives in the town next door.

Good luck everybody!