PDA

View Full Version : Upsetting news

Heather Wallace
02-13-2002, 03:23 PM
One of Bunny's baby rabbits that where sold to a boy called Mark (he bought him from a pet market) Has been in touch with me tonight saying that he can't keep Smokey anymore. This is just after having him for one week.

I'm sorry everyone if I can't explain properly, I am just very upset and don't know what to do.

He got in touch to ask did I want Smokey back. I asked what house number he lived at, I know he lives in the next street, just don't know where exactly. He wouldn't give me his house number but how will I get Smokey back if he doesn't tell me where he lives.

I am worried. he said he would get his dad to call tonight. But he hasn't yet and it's now 9.15pm.

Why do people allow there kids to buy pets , then after a week tell them to get rid of them????????:(

Smokey is the little grey/brown rabbit. I look sad but it was the day i had to give them away!!!

Fuzzy317
02-13-2002, 06:04 PM
I hope you get your bunny back. People get pets without fully understanding the responsibility that goes with it.

I think, adoption of Pets would be better if it had the some of the same requirements as Adoption for Kids.

LoudLou
02-13-2002, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Fuzzy317

I think, adoption of Pets would be better if it had the some of the same requirements as Adoption for Kids.

I SO AGREE!!! Heather I hope you get your baby bunny back so he can live in a home where they know just HOW Special they are!:)

Karen
02-13-2002, 07:01 PM
Gosh, what a quandry! If they haven't contacted you tomorrow, I'd go door-to-door on his street asking if anyone knows where the little boy named Mark, or who looks like such-and-such - lives.

But I am pretty outgoing. Could you call the local school, and ask if they have a phone number for him, or give him a note to call you right away?

Miss Hoppy and I will be keeping our fingers (or toes) crossed 'til we hear from you! Poor you! Poor Bunny and Shadow and Mark, too! :(

Heather Wallace
02-13-2002, 08:05 PM
Yes thanks everyone for your advice. Noone had called as yet.

I shall go down to the market where he bought the rabbit and inform her that he may bring it back to her. I did suggest to him giving it back to Barbara ( the lady who was stealing two of the bunnies for me).

But to be honest after this I just feel like having the rabbits back even though I dont have the room or money to keep them. At least I know that they will be safe.

I will keep you posted tomorrow to let you all know if I receive the phone call or not.

I do have the boys email so I will contact him again.

Lots Of Love Heather, thanks for caring, at least someone does.:)

AmberLee
02-13-2002, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Heather Wallace
...( the lady who was stealing two of the bunnies for me)....

Heather,

:confused: :confused: My assumption is that you had a typo for selling, or is this my mistake and is the story much more interesting than I'd realized? :D

I missed you getting to the 100 message level. Congratulations! May you have many more messages, and may they all be happy ones (with way cute photos ;) :D )

Heather Wallace
02-14-2002, 07:34 AM
Yes Amberlee, thank you for correcting my spelling, It was selling, not stealing.

I was very upset last night about Smokey thats all.

I have heard nothing so far.

purrley
02-14-2002, 07:44 AM
Heather - I so understand how you feel. Last April I gave one of my kittens to a young girl who said she wanted it as an Easter present for her 3 year old daughter. That should have been a huge red flag right there!!!!. However, I gave her the kitten and before the week was out I got an e-mail saying that she was going to have to find a place for the kitten because it peed on her rug and her husband wanted it out of the house. She brought the kitten back to me that night. This was very upsetting so I do know how you feel and I also cried when I gave the kitten away. But happy ending - I gave that kitten to a lady here at work and he's been in a wonderful home ever since. My kittens will be 1 year old on Feb. 24th. I kept one of them and he's the light of my life. Hang in there, I just know things will work out OK;)

Gio
02-14-2002, 10:28 AM
I hope you will be able to sort this out soon, there is nothing worse than waiting.

Daisylover
02-14-2002, 10:45 AM
This is heartbreaking news but unfortunately not all that uncommon. We have had similar experiences at our sanctuary, or even been informed later that the bunny died due to carelessness. The solution is to please not breed any more rabbits as there is already a problem with overpopulation, abandonment and neglect. Every one of our bunnies is a personal friend and when something like this happens we are astounded that there are so many heartless, careless people who have no business owning any animal.

I do sympathize and hope that you get Smokey back.
I agree that you should probably go door to door in an effort to locate him. You might offer to refund the fee as a "reward" for returning him. The other thing I thought of is that you might look around the neighborhood to see if Dad turned the bunny loose and that might be why you aren't hearing from them. You are doing the right thing and I do hope it all works out for you Heather. Bunnies are too precious to lose in this manner.
Good luck and my prayers are with you.

Heather Wallace
02-14-2002, 10:53 AM
Dear Daisylover, please note that I am not a rabbit breeder. the reason Bunny had babies was because I was looking after what I thought was females for a friend.

I had been in touch with Barbara (lady who sold the rabbit). She said noone has been in touch with her.

She also said that it was the mother who bought the rabbit not the son. I am quite relieved about that.

I am sure evrything will be fine, the lady who bought the rabbit apparently has a few pets.

Maybe the boy is just messing around.

I will keep you all posted.

C.C.'s Mom
02-14-2002, 11:05 AM
I'm feeling so sad now too! It's incredible how careless people can be when it comes to animals. I hope you're getting your bunny back and maybe someone else will come and give her the bun a nice new home.

In Germany cats and dogs are given away with a 'Tierschuetzvertrag', a contract you have to sign in which you agree to properly taking care of your pet and that the breeder/former owner has the right to come and visit in order to see if the pet is taken care of well.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that the mother has a good heart and brings the bunny back to you.

Daisylover
02-14-2002, 11:29 AM
Contracts are a good idea. We do use them at the sanctuary and have, on a very few occasions, removed a bunny that was adopted out. We had a lawyer draft ours so if necessary we would have legal grounds to retrieve a bunny and go to court if necessary. Fortunately we have not had to go that far. On the other hand a contract does not guarantee that an animal will be any better cared for than if you don't have one BUT it does make people stop and think and for that reason alone it was worth it.

I had forgotten, Heather, that Bunny got pregnant by her "we-thought-we-had-a-girl,but-we-really-had-a-boy"
friend, so my apologies for the remark about bunny breeding. I see so many heartbreaking situations with bunnies I get carried away when I'm on my soap-box. No insult meant.

Heather Wallace
02-14-2002, 04:45 PM
Thanks CC for your comments, What a good idea that the owner can visit anytime.

When I gave the two rabbit to Barbara to sell I wrote out two letters for the new owner in the hope that they would get in touch so I could visit the rabit and keep an eye on it.

The boy did get in touch but instead has just made me worry.

It is now 10.36pm on the day after he told me he has to give Smokey away and still he has not been in touch again.

I think that he is messing me about and its not fare what he has done.:(

Sam's My Baby
02-16-2002, 08:13 AM
if he is messing with you that is defenatley not fair. To put you all through that worrying:mad: I hope you find out where he lives

ilovehounds
02-18-2002, 05:50 PM
Oh Im so sorry this is happening, we talked about finding our babies good homes and we prayed nothing like this would happen. I had the same sorta thing happen, a boy came here wanting a bunny so bad and then a week later he called back asking if I would come and get it, he wasn't looking after it and his mother was sick of feeding it :mad: :mad: fortunatly the lady who is taking the other rabbits (a wonderful lady who shows, has a petting zoo ....) has asked if she can take it was well. They all leave next week :(

Did you here I got another drop off ?? She is a sweety and Im keeping her.

By the way to fill you in on my bunnies. Two rabbits were dropped off at the end of my driveway so I went out to catch them and only got one and a week or so later she had babies.

Your baby is in our prayers, I hope you get it back soon.

Heather Wallace
02-18-2002, 06:47 PM
yes i saw your bunny, I think you called her Honey, she is sweet.

I have heard nothing from the boy what so ever.

AmberLee
02-20-2002, 02:29 PM
Dear Heather,

Any news yet? (Perhaps it was just a prank call?? What a mess...)

Heather Wallace
02-20-2002, 03:09 PM
No more news. I have just put it down to him being a bit strange Amberlee.

Thanks for asking.