PDA

View Full Version : Sadie not feeling so well, need advice...

gemini9961
06-24-2005, 11:42 PM
Hey everyone, I am posting here because more people read Dog General than Dog Health. Ok here's my situation--Sadie has been acting strange lately. She has been scooting around on her butt on the carpet, like if her glands were clogged up I guess. I have never had this problem with a dog before so I am not sure if this it is. She scoots around like she's wiping her butt. She doesn't do it all the time. Well lately she has not been jumping on the couch or bed like normal, she acts like it hurts her. She can jump down but not up. A couple of times I have picked her up and she has yelped. I didn't pick her up any different than usual. I can't tell if it's her legs, belly or what. I just now saw Beeniesmom post about Beenie and her anal gland problem and thought that maybe this is what's wrong with Sadie. Her glands might be clogged up and possibly swollen and it hurts her belly maybe when I pick her up. Her belly feels kinda tight like it might be swollen some. She is eating, drinking and going to the bathroom all fine. Does this sound like a logical answer to the problem or am I way off base?? I still think a trip to the vet is in order as she is only 3 and has no other health problems. I saw that if their glands get real bad they can get an infection....maybe this is why it hurts her to jump and me to pick her up. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

wolfsoul
06-25-2005, 12:00 AM
Bum-scooting usually means worms. I'd call the vet and take a stool sample in just to get checked out. :) The vet can also tell you if the glands need to be emptied.

Oggyflute
06-25-2005, 07:04 AM
Oggy did this once, and it turned out to be the glands. Hope Sadie gets better soon.

Kfamr
06-25-2005, 07:17 AM
I always thought if they're going poopy fine that the glands should be okay, too. Does she look in any pain when she poo's?

It would probably just be best to bring her in and see what's going on for sure.

Poor girl, hope she's feeling better soon.

abbersmom
06-25-2005, 08:26 AM
Just a thought, when you take her to the vet, you may want to take a urine sample along. Having just gone through kidney stones with Abby this spring, those symptoms point that direction a little aslo. At 1st I thought Abby was peing normally, until I tried to get a sample & realized she was not going when she squatted. She was doing more od a sit & "grind" than a sit & scoot. Her belly felt tight because she was filling up...she also had swollen anal glands at the same time, bit the vet said the sit & grind is a symptom of the kidney stone trying to pass, she'd instinctively sit & push down to try & stop what she was feeling. She was eating & drinking normally, altho maybe a little more water than usual.
And to get a sample??lol well...I always scooted a tupperware type lid under her when she would squat!

KYS
06-25-2005, 09:07 AM
How is Sadie doing?

tricollie4me
06-25-2005, 09:16 AM
Bijou did the scoot thing and it was a full gland (just one side was full, go figure) -- we took her in just three or four days after she first started scooting since it had become a pattern, and the vet expressed it ($15, not too bad). She's been fine ever since.

Any news on Sadie today?

gemini9961
06-25-2005, 07:01 PM
I took Sadie to the vet this morning because I couldn't wait till Monday in case she got worse. The vet said her heart, lungs and all other organs look good. She checked her hips out since I told her Sadie has not been jumping like normal. She said she seems to have some pain in her hip area but she is bearing weight on it like normal, she just won't jump. She gave her an anti-inflammatory shot and some Rimadyl. She told me if she gets worse or doesn't improve to bring her back in and they would x-ray her. She also checked her glands and she said they were about 2/3 full, not bad, and she went ahead and cleaned them out as well. She has been better today, running around and playing. Looks like the shot has helped her. I'm also gonna cut back on her food and treats as she is a little overweight and this might be contributing to her soft tissue injury. The vet said she might have hurt it jumping before. Anyways, I'm going to try and get her slimmed down some so she is not carrying so much weight and hopefully to avoid her straining her muscles. Thanks everyone for the advice and comments. :)

KYS
06-25-2005, 07:25 PM
Glad you went to the vet, and she is feeling better
today.

IRescue452
06-25-2005, 07:27 PM
Glad she is feeling better. I don't think I'd have been able to wait either.

chocolatepuppy
06-25-2005, 07:45 PM
I hope Sadie gets to feeling better soon!

Jadapit
06-25-2005, 07:47 PM
I'm so glad Sadie is feeling better!:) It's always scary when the fur kids dont feel good.

Ginger's Mom
06-25-2005, 09:31 PM
I am glad that you took her to the vet, and I hope that Sadie is feeling better real soon.

Vette
06-25-2005, 09:37 PM
Alll paws and fingers crossed that she stays feeling better and doent have to revisit the 'white coats' anytime soon!

luvofallhorses
06-25-2005, 10:26 PM
I hope she's feeling better soon! (((hugs)))

gemini9961
06-25-2005, 10:39 PM
Thanks again for the concern and care from everyone. I'll keep everyone updated. :D

Bigyummydog
06-25-2005, 11:16 PM
Sorry, I didn't have any advice. But I thought she could use some extra kisses. Feel better soon sweety.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y68/bigyummydog/throwkisses.gif