PDA

View Full Version : a PETA billboard I saw today that I actually liked

finn's mom
06-24-2005, 11:28 PM
It said "Keep your family safe. Chain your door, not your dog." And, here's an article I pulled up when I typed that phrase in. I'm not a PETA supporter, by any stretch of the imagination, but, I liked this sign a lot.

McGehee, Ark. — PETA’s new billboard showing a chained dog next to the tagline "To Keep Your Family Safe, Chain Your Door, Not Your Dog"—alerting residents to the dangerous consequences for humans and dogs alike of keeping dogs chained—will be rising in Desha County. The area was jolted this week when a 5-year-old McGehee boy was severely injured by his neighbor’s chained dog. PETA has also written to McGehee Mayor Bain Poole, furnishing him with information about what can happen when dogs are kept chained up like bicycles and recommending that the county follow the lead of many other jurisdictions—including Little Rock and Maumelle in Arkansas alone—that have passed anti-chaining legislation.

PETA points out that sentencing dogs to solitary confinement at the end of a chain deprives them of the social interaction they need and crave and drives them mad. According to animal behaviorists, dogs on chains often become agitated, frustrated, and—unable to flee from perceived threats—aggressively protective of their tiny territories. PETA maintains an extensive file on children who have been mauled and even killed after wandering into chained dogs’ reach or encountering dogs who had broken free from chains.

Chaining these highly social pack animals is also cruel. Forced to endure weather extremes and spend their entire lives eating, sleeping, and eliminating in the same few square feet of space, chained dogs are also easy targets for cowardly abusers who would shoot, poison, or steal them.

"People who relegate ‘man’s best friend’ to a chain are planting ticking time bombs in their yards and risking their families’ lives," says PETA Director Daphna Nachminovitch. "Dogs are members of the family, not lawn ornaments or furry alarm systems."

dukedogsmom
06-25-2005, 02:37 AM
http://www.peta.org/victory/DAWRICompanionAnimals/Picture35.jpg

chocolatepuppy
06-25-2005, 05:20 AM
finn's mom, here's a link you might be interested in!
www.dogsdeservebetter.com

finn's mom
06-25-2005, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by chocolatepuppy
finn's mom, here's a link you might be interested in!
www.dogsdeservebetter.com

Thanks! I would **think** everyone would be interested in this link, though! ;)

Kfamr
06-25-2005, 07:15 AM
Ha, with the recent controversy of them not wanting people to have pets, the last sentence kind of made me roll my eyes.

However, it seems for once their advertisement is a good one. It kinda of scares me though because who REALLY knows what's going on in their minds.

Chaining up dogs irks me to no end.. especially because I had to witness something horrible first hand. (Years ago, to give you a short version of it, my neighbor's Keeshond hung herself because she was chained up in the backyard.)

finn's mom
06-25-2005, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by Kfamr
Ha, with the recent controversy of them not wanting people to have pets, the last sentence kind of made me roll my eyes.

You and me, both. I kinda hope the billboard will just make me people think, as opposed to advertising for PETA, know what I mean? Honestly, I had to search for the phrase before I knew it was a PETA billboard. I hope most don't do that, and, go to PETA's site, but, will just take the sign for what it's worth. I know what I'm trying to say, hopefully that paragraph makes sense.

Kfamr
06-25-2005, 07:23 AM
Yeah, I know what you're saying. There's probably a lot of people who are oblivious to how horrible PETA is and will just think they're some wonderful organization after seeing this.

finn's mom
06-25-2005, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by Kfamr
Yeah, I know what you're saying. There's probably a lot of people who are oblivious to how horrible PETA is and will just think they're some wonderful organization after seeing this.

I was and did for the longest time. Unless you really look for the bad stuff, or join a site such as this, you don't hear the negative stuff.