PDA

View Full Version : Do You Give The Money Back ?

lizbud
06-24-2005, 08:05 PM
Something really strange just happened here. I ordered a
pizza & when the delivery person came & I paid her. She gave
me back much more money than I was due. A LOT more.:eek:

I was flabbergasted & quickly gave it all back & took the right
change.She apologized and said it was her first time making
change. I honestly think she would never had realized her
mistake if I had kept the extra money. I just couldn't do it.

Have you ever given money back when given more in change
than you have coming?

kittycats_delight
06-24-2005, 08:08 PM
I have. Years ago my mom took a job doing the same thing at night just to make some extra money. And I know what happens when you come up short changed at the end of the night. It comes out of your pocket. I can't see doing that to someone cause 9 times out of 10 if you are delivering pizza you NEED the few bucks you make.

finn's mom
06-24-2005, 08:10 PM
Yeah, every time. One time in particular comes to mind, though. I had a waitress at a bar give me a $50 bill instead of a $5. She would never have known. I was broke, too, but, man....karma is something I just don't screw with. She bought me two drinks afterwards, too, but, that's not why I did it. It was a nice perk, though. :D

petslover
06-24-2005, 09:25 PM
Yeah, One time the cashier at Wal-Mart wasn't paying attention and thought I gave them a 100 dollar bill. So they were giving me all this change back. (I think I really only gave them like a 20 or something) and I told her about it. I don't play with that. I like being honest and didn't want her to get in trouble.

KYS
06-24-2005, 09:30 PM
I would give it back.
A couple of weeks ago I was in a Joannes store.
The woman forgot to charge me for one of the items
I purchased.
I went back inside the store and patiently waited
untill the same cashier could help me.

Doing the right thing makes me feel good.

kuhio98
06-24-2005, 09:47 PM
Yes, I always give it back. I know that the missing money will probably come out of their paycheck and I believe in karma. What goes around, comes around.

Katiesmom
06-24-2005, 09:53 PM
Yes, just yesterday I went into a Food Mart and my change was like 7 something and she gave me a dollar more so I turned around and gave it back...I felt like if I kept that, thats like stealing from that store and I wouldn't be anybetter than those that steal from the store....like shoplifters....I don't know I am a dork like that though;) :p

popcornbird
06-24-2005, 11:19 PM
Cashiers often make this mistake, and yes, I always give them the money back. Honesty is the best policy. I would never, "not" give it back. A cashier actually did that to my dad once when he went to Macy's, and my dad didn't realize she gave him too much money back until he got home. He drove all the way back to Macy's to return the money to her.

beeniesmom
06-25-2005, 12:20 AM
yes, many times. I think the one time I didn't was when I didn't realize it myself until I got home and emptied my pockets..... (unless I already had an extra 10 in a pocket I didn't know about... oh well.

sandragonfly
06-25-2005, 01:05 AM
yeah!! of course..

about a few weeks ago, went to wendy's for a lazy dinner & frosty, cashier gave me $4.11 more, while he put money into my hand.. "thank....wait.. that was the charge, not change. :)". he apologized and took it back but not giving me 89 cents back...lol.

so what happened there, I didn't give it a minute to think... "oooh cool..should I take it or..." :p I love being honest, it makes you feel good and what goes around, comes around... or vice versa. :D

slleipnir
06-25-2005, 01:22 AM
I would. I'd hope people would do the same for me...and infact have.

Barbara
06-25-2005, 07:19 AM
I have always given it back.
I suppose most people would act like that as they have the person in front to whom they would create a problem.

If you think of finding 50$ on the street I suppose more people would keep it (no Pet Talkers of course ;)).

One day I found a wallet on the street- with money and addresses and all- again I gave it back. The person had put it on top of her car (yes that really happens:D ) and had lost it that way.

Logan
06-25-2005, 08:04 AM
You did the right thing, Liz. :) I spent part of my early life as a bank teller and I wasn't a very good one to tell you the truth. One day I had a huge error and it was not in the bank's favor. It was obvious what I had done when we went through my tape and transactions. That customer never did say a word, but we took the money from their account. They had made a deposit with cash back and I had given them the entire deposit in cash and had credited their account!!! :eek: Thankfully, the bank wouldn't force me to pay for my error, but I imagine too many errors like that and I wouldn't have had a job for long!!!!

Logan

buckner
06-25-2005, 09:48 AM
Yes, I'd give it back. That's why I always count my change in the store or restaurant, and always check the bill. I don't want the place to get screwed over, but I don't want to get screwed over either. While I'm shopping a store, I always make note of how much stuff is and keep a running tally in my head. If it's similar at the end, then everything's good.

The same goes for missing money. I've found wallets and purses before, and I check the wallet for an ID. If I know the person or have seen them in the store, I'll give it back to them. If not, I return them to the Customer Service. But, as for money laying around, finders keepers. :p

Katiesmom
06-25-2005, 10:02 AM
this past christmas my husband went to wal-mart to do some christmas shopping and lost his debit card, as soon as he noticed he lost it which wasn't long he called me to let me know so I good call and report it lost and when I called they told me there was a hold on it:confused: I was like what, why? They finally told me that a customer at wal-mart found it and immediately called the number on the back and reported it and that man kept calling the bank to see if we had gotten in touch with them because he wouldn't give the card to anyone else and finally we caught up with him and got the card back, but I was really thankful that someone like him got the card....glad to see that those kind of people still exist:D

smokey the elder
06-25-2005, 10:03 AM
I always return the change. I found this wallet once in the washing machine at my apartment complex. It had ALL the fellow's credit cards, license, etc. I found his apartment and gave it back. He had just been about to cancel all his credit cards and didn't have to do that. He gave me $20 that I didn't really want to take but he insisted.:)

jennifert9
06-25-2005, 10:12 AM
Yes, I would give it back and have although it hasn't happened in a while...could be because I hardly ever have cash on me anymore and just use my bank debit card for everything.
I was a bartender/waitress for years and if we gave the wrong change back or dropped money on the floor, it was our loss...it came out of your tips at the end of the night. I saw many many people in tears at the end of their shift when they counted their money and realized they had paid the restaurant to work that night.