PDA

View Full Version : what do you wear to work?

finn's mom
06-24-2005, 07:34 PM
I don't know why I was thinking about this, but, I wanted to see what you all wear to work. :) I get to wear whatever I want, pretty much. But, I try to look professional. Skirts, nice tops, little heels or nice slip ons, etc. I wouldn't wear tennis shoes or regular flip flops, but, I'd wear jeans with a nice top. I like that I get to dress up a little, and, ever since I found this great goodwill, I've been sylin' and profilin'! :D I've had to wear uniforms and hated them (except for when I worked at Arby's ten years ago, that was all right). And, I could wear business casual at a job I held for almost four years in Texas. Basically, I wore khakis and stuff. I had to look cute and trendy at the salon when I worked there before coming to South Carolina. I could even pull off the whole "school girl" look, with the skirt and knee high socks, because of the whole trendy atmosphere that we worked in. That was kinda fun! :) Anyway, let me know what y'all wear! :)

Shelteez2
06-24-2005, 07:52 PM
I get to wear jeans or track pants or shorts. Basically anything made from material that dog hair doesn't stick to. Jeans aren't great for grooming in but I mostly just bath and dry dogs and I don't tend to get that wet when I'm bathing so jeans work for me and they're what I wear most often. I also have a smock that is in a tank top style so that's what I wear for a top.
I don't think I could have a job where I needed to dress up....I'd have to go get a new wardrobe for one...(blech...I hate shopping)...LOL

finn's mom
06-24-2005, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Shelteez2
I don't think I could have a job where I needed to dress up....I'd have to go get a new wardrobe for one...(blech...I hate shopping)...LOL

Trust me, I know exactly what you mean. I was so worried about that when I first interviewed for the insurance sales position. My first interview, I really didn't even know what it was for. I dressed nicely, but, not in a suit. The interviewer, now my supervisor, said, as i walked out of the office...."I'm not saying you HAVE to wear a suit for your second interview tomorrow, but you might be the only one not wearing one if you don't." I didn't even have a blazer! I made a mad dash to the goodwill near my mom's store, totally expecting to find nothing. I found a cute blazer and skirt set for $6! I've gone back there at least once a week for about a month and a half and I have an entire business wardrobe now. And, I've maybe spent $150. I lucked out, because all I had prior to that was a couple of cute skirts. I'm a jeans and flip flops kind of girl! Anyway, can you tell I'm bored? ;) I'm done with appointments today, and, it's too late to call people, so, I'm here, chatting about clothes. How weird! :D

dukedogsmom
06-24-2005, 08:00 PM
Lovely green polyester pants. On the weekdays, a white cotton shirt but on the weekends, the comfy polos.

kittycats_delight
06-24-2005, 08:03 PM
Well, for me it depends if I am working in the restaurant as hostess or if I am working in the office doing accounting and stuff. If I am in the restaurant I have to wear black pants or skirt, black shoes no open toes, white shirt preferably a blouse and if it isn't too hot a black cardigan or jacket. Woohoo. :rolleyes: If I am in the office doing stuff then I can wear whatever as I am not dealing with the public and don't have to look professional. :p

caseysmom
06-24-2005, 08:57 PM
I work in an office so its pretty much office casual...I could wear a nice dress or jeans and tennis shoes and both would be fine, I would never wear shorts though.

I have been wearing flip flops this week because a new pair of reef sandals caused a sore on the top of my foot. (Glad I paid 40 dollars for comfortable sandals) I usually love the reef sandals but I usually get the flat ones, this time I tried to get the high ones and they rubbed my foot wrong.

Karen
06-24-2005, 09:15 PM
"Business casual." I always wear a skirt, and a decent top, and a little jewelry. Comfortable shoes because that's the only kind I own. It doesn't really matter, everybody else wears jeans half the time, but I like to feel a little more professional.

KYS
06-24-2005, 09:24 PM
Casual for me too.
I wear different colored jeans and nice but comfortable
tops, sweaters or blouses .
Usually high top tennis shoes for good foot support.
(the public rarely sees me.)

chocolatepuppy
06-24-2005, 09:28 PM
I work in a factory so I wear jeans/shorts and usually tee shirts. The tee shirts with puppys, kittys, bears, the US flag, that kind. And I wear tennis shoes. :D

Cookiebaker
06-24-2005, 09:42 PM
No dress code for my position at work, so I usually wear jeans and a nice top and sneakers. I don't like T-shirts, and I don't like to be sloppy.

gemini9961
06-25-2005, 01:25 AM
I'll either wear scrubs or jeans and a shirt. Sometimes I dress up more with nice pants and a long botton down shirt. It depends on what shift I am working. :)

slleipnir
06-25-2005, 01:32 AM
I hate my uniform. It's a light blue shirt, that's really baggy -__- and navy blue pants...like capri pants (I so didn't spell that right, but at 3:30 am my brain doesnt work)

Cincy'sMom
06-25-2005, 06:52 AM
Becuase I work in a Chemistry lab we are not allowed to wear open toed shoes. Other than that, we don't have too many restrictions, as long as it is jeans or nicer. I couldn't go in wearing sweat pants, but I don't need to dress up either.

buckner
06-25-2005, 10:19 AM
My summer job is babysitting 40 hours a week. Because we're always out and about, I can wear whatever I want. The person I'm working for is great, she understands comfort. And because it's babysitting, who cares??? :p

At my old job, I was working at a child care called First Kids at my church. Twenty+ kids in the afternoon, and several left over from the days. Whatever I wore to school that day was fine, because there was no uniform. Again, working with kids in that kind of environment, who cares?

It's kind of amusing that I keep working with kids.... aye aye aye. Next school year, my senior year, I'm hoping to start working at an actual store (no fast food!) or a petstore. I'm hoping....

davidpizzica
06-25-2005, 05:27 PM
I'm a groundskeeper at a golf course. So in the summer I wear a company tee-shirt, a golf cap, a pair of sturdy work pants, and heavy duty wrk shoes. In the fall and winter, it's usually the same with the addition of insulated cover-alls and work gloves.

Uabassoon
06-25-2005, 05:33 PM
I work at Starbucks so I wear a black or white collared shirt and black or khaki pants with black shoes.

King Spartacus
06-25-2005, 06:24 PM
I wear slippers! Yup... I bring slippers to work every day, as I find my feet will hurt if a walk around in shoes for 8.5 hours! What else... well... whatever goes! Sometimes I'll wear a business suit, sometimes I'll wear jeans (today, slippers, jeans, and smart jacket)... sometimes dresses (but never short ones, as I have to climb ladders to get to top shelves)... sometimes I'll wear tracksuits... My boss doesn't mind what I wear, and neither does the shoppers! (Work in a store, print t-shirts)

Sylvie, KS' mom

IRescue452
06-25-2005, 07:41 PM
t-shirt, shorts, and steel-toed boots at the factory and security clothes at school

Nomilynn
06-25-2005, 08:17 PM
I wear black pants and a collared golf tshirt that says "Pepsi" on the sleeve. I work at a movie theatre. When my Pepsi shirt is dirty I wear a plain black tshirt and my black pants. I wear comfortable runners too, as I'm on my feet the entire shift.

When I work at the vet's, I wear scrubs! Which feel like pajamas. I almost wish I had a job that gave me the excuse to dress up sometimes :D

Suki Wingy
06-25-2005, 08:33 PM
I want to be a big cat keeper. In February I'll start working at Petsmart where I will wear khakis and the green petsmart polo.

abbersmom
06-25-2005, 10:04 PM
Either black or khaki is acceptable, whether it's casual pants, capris or jeans in those 2 colors is fine...As for the shirt, a royal blue shirt with the company logo...polo, L/S or S/S t-shirt, sweatshirt, or denim shirts with logo are fine, too. I generally wear GOOD tennis shoes that look a little dressier. I have a pair of chocolate brown Nike's that I love!! (LOL and if I sneak in the backdoor on the weekend, I might just show up in jeans & a nice shirt)

aly
06-26-2005, 01:02 AM
I wear scrubs at the clinic. We also can't wear open-toed shoes, so I always wear tennis shoes. I LOVE wearing scrubs. I have fun picking out cute colors and patterns, hehe.

binka_nugget
06-26-2005, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by Nomilynn
I wear black pants and a collared golf tshirt that says "Pepsi" on the sleeve. I work at a movie theatre.

Same here. Black pants and a black golf shirt except mine has a little Silvercity logo on the front. I wear black socks and black chucks too.

When I start at my other job, I'll have to wear an ugly beige golf shirt and black pants. Ugh..

moosmom
06-26-2005, 09:33 AM
Since I work at a funeral home, I wear grey, black or blue slacks and try to dress it up with a colorful blouse and cheap pins. Works like a charm!!

My daughter, being the smarta$$ that she is, says my clothes are very boring and I need to appear on "What not to wear". Kids, gotta love 'em!!

Thank goodness for clothing allowances!!! :p