PDA

View Full Version : Owwie on Nala! :( *pic*

Kfamr
06-24-2005, 04:19 PM
If anything else could freaking go wrong this week... this is it.
I was looking at Nala while sitting on the front porch and noticed her hair raised a bit. (I didn't notice this at all this whole week, neither did anyone else. She didn't seemed bothered by it at all.
http://petevents.com/~simba/gross.jpg

We cleaned it with peroxide, she didn't even notice or bother with it. It's in a spot on her back to where she can't reach it, so it's not something she licked.
My parents guess were that she ran into the lemon tree or something. I have no clue.

Any ideas? :( What else can I do for it. Great, now everyone at the PT meetings going to thing i'm some horrible person. Nala has a gross spot on her back, Kiara has a hairless spot on her paw (where she bipped it against the pool), and my back porch smells horrible from getting rained in! GREEEAATT.

:( Why does everything go wrong at the same time?

petslover
06-24-2005, 04:20 PM
Noone is going to think your a bad pet owner. Things happen. Your a great pet owner. Your animals adore you.

flamepony12
06-24-2005, 04:21 PM
I'm sorry, Kay, and I hope Nala feels better soon!

caseysmom
06-24-2005, 04:35 PM
Kay, I just bought the tee trea oil for fleas and it says on the bottle to be used on abrasions, you could try diluting some of that and applying as long as she can't lick it off.

I have sore on my foot and tried some last night, it seemed to help.

CagneyDog
06-24-2005, 04:35 PM
I'm sorry Kay :(

Poor Nala, that looks painful!

wolf_Q
06-24-2005, 04:39 PM
Aw poor Nala....it's not your fault that happened so don't blame yourself. It resembles a hot spot, you may want to talk to a vet if it doesn't go away fairly soon.

Kfamr
06-24-2005, 04:42 PM
I thought maybe it was a hot spot too, but don't those happen from a dog scratching or licking at a certain irritated spot? She can't reach it with her paw or mouth.

caseysmom
06-24-2005, 04:43 PM
Kay, When bubba was a bit younger he had ringworm, from your picture it doesn't really look like that but if you see any more spots you could suspect that.

Not trying to scare you just another thing they can get if they are around other dogs. It really wasn't so bad I did have to shampoo him every other day and put the ointment on 3 times a day but surprisingly Casey never got it or me and the kids.

luvofallhorses
06-24-2005, 04:50 PM
Kay,

My mom used to be a vetinary assistant and it is most defintiely a hot spot and needs to be treated by a vet asap. Feel better soon Nala!!

wolf_Q
06-24-2005, 04:56 PM
Apparently hot spots can be caused by a variety of things....could be from moisture....

Also known as Summer Sores or Moist Eczema, Hot Spots can seemingly appear spontaneously anywhere on a dog's body and the area involved can rapidly spread. This moist, raw skin disorder has a variety of causes but the most consistent factor is bacteria. There are a number of kinds of bacteria that can be cultured from a "hot spot" and fortunately most respond to oral and topical antibiotics. Anything that irritates or breaks the skin can create the environment for bacterial contamination if the skin surface has just a bit of moisture on it. That moisture can be present from a recently given bath, from swimming or being out in the rain, from rolling in wet grass or even from a slightly oozing sore that provides nutrients for bacteria. For some reason, cats rarely acquire Hot Spots; dermatological problems in our feline friends are far less common than in the dog.

Here's a couple of links
http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/hotspots.html
http://www.canismajor.com/dog/hotspots.html

Kfamr
06-24-2005, 05:07 PM
GREAT. :mad: :( :( :( :( :(

The vets are %#@$ing closed. :mad:

Is there anything I can do for it until I can get her in?

I was just searching on this website:
http://vetmedicine.about.com/cs/dogdiseasesh/a/hotspots.htm

I think i'll try a cool tea bag. Do you think a cold bath would hurt her?

I'm so horrible. Ugh. I hate when there's something going on with my animals and I can't do anything about it.
:( :(

IRescue452
06-24-2005, 05:10 PM
Poor Nala. You don't have a bad owner, and to prove that you must ask for extra treats and lovin' til you feel better ;) .

petslover
06-24-2005, 05:16 PM
You can always get over the counter medicine to treat it. We always or you can always just wrap it up for her.

Jadapit
06-24-2005, 05:20 PM
Kay,
I went goggling, and found this. Hope it helps. There is all sorts of info on google for hot spots.
Remedies for Various Skin Ailments:

* Some ways to soothe insect bites, hot spots, and other skin conditions:

** Dab with milk of magnesia to calm irritated skin.

** Aloe vera from plants and creams. Apply gel directly on the spot. Or dilute with water, put it in a spray bottle and spray it on the spot.

** Dab with organic apple cider vinegar.

** Saturate a cotton ball with witch hazel and apply on hot spots for several days.

** Apply a mixture of baking soda and water to the affected areas. This also helps soothe itchy human skin in case you, too, have a sting, rash or poison ivy.

** Epsom salt: mix 1 teaspoon in 2 cups of warm water for drawing out infection and bathing itchy paws and skin.

** Combine 3 capsules of sage, 1/4 teaspoon of Epsom salts and 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil. Cool to room temperature, then strain out the sage. Store in a spray bottle or jar in the refrigerator to keep fresh. Apply to the affected area several times a day.

** Emu oil is a natural, soothing substance that helps treat canine skin ailments such as ringworm, flea bites, bee stings, rashes, hot spots and lacerations. Apply on the affected area.

** Aveeno. Mix a package of Aveeno oatmeal bath powder with 2 cups of water, wet the dog down with cool water, then apply the Aveeno mix. Leave on for 10 to 15 minutes. Then rinse off with cool water and towel dry.

** Petkin Reliefstick, which comes packaged like a stick deodorant. It contains natural ingredients to cool the skin as well as reduce redness and swelling and promote healing -- plus a safe licking deterrent.

** Petroleum jelly or Bag Balm - use either to seal in moisture. Also excellent for chaffed paw pads.

RobiLee
06-24-2005, 05:26 PM
Hey there, Nala Bala! Heal up soon, ya hear? Quit making mommy get so worried.

Ease up on yourself, mom! Things are going to be just fine and I know you'll take care of the problem.

Hugs...Robin :)

wolf_Q
06-24-2005, 05:28 PM
Also mentioned in another thread is to put Gold Bond Medicated powder on it.

Haven't dealt with hot spots personally so I don't know what to tell you but I hope Nala's sore gets better soon.

Vette
06-24-2005, 05:30 PM
:eek:

Poor girl. hope she gets better soon.

do you have any fencing near by?
it looks kinda like she walked under a fence and got snared by one of the barwire prongs or something.

Kfamr
06-24-2005, 05:51 PM
No fences that she can walk under.

I just gave her a quick rinse with some "tea tree oil water" (tea tree oil mixed with a lot of water) and dried her off real well. It actually looks a lot better than it was when I took the picture. No more nasty gunk and it's not red. She's not bothered by it at all when I touch it and doesn't even care for it at all. I'm guessing she's in no pain whatsoever.

Her "bath" made her get all wild and she's still running around the house, and now is asking me for some dinner.

Muddy4paws
06-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I dont know if you can get it in America its called Hibiscrub and its normally avaliable from the chemists, Dont worry about what other people think, I dont personally know you but It shows just from your dogs photos that they are well loved and cared for and it shows that they love you so no one elses opinion matters, Things happen but you need to look forward and try to sort them out not think low of yourself because its so obvious how much of an animal lover you are!

Logan
06-24-2005, 06:55 PM
I think keeping it dry will help it heal quickly, Kay. Keep her out of the water for a while and use drying agents on it. She'll be fine, I'm sure!! :)

sandragonfly
06-24-2005, 07:02 PM
*shivers!* yuppie, it's a hotspot - kay! my crayola just had it just as exact as nala's owwie picture.. no, nala can't reach it with her mouth or paw but she could roll on grass/dirt/ground to itch it. or not itchy for some.

nah, it's not too painful. hope that evil bugs goes away soon!

*stroking nala* :)

Kfamr
06-24-2005, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
Also mentioned in another thread is to put Gold Bond Medicated powder on it.

We just put some of that on it. I didn't know we had any but I did read that on one of the sites I looked up.

She's not bother by it at all, still.. and it hasn't gotten any bigger. So I'm assuming that's a good thing.

beeniesmom
06-24-2005, 07:27 PM
Ouch, I hope it goes away soon!
You don't always notice things unless you look at every inch of thier body all the time. Don't feel bad. It happens.
I am so exited for you guys tomorrow!
I wish I could come.

Kfamr
06-24-2005, 09:30 PM
I wanted to thank everyone for caring and replying. I don't think I have already. Earlier I was going crazy. I hate not knowing what to do with every little booboo they get. :(

She's not bothering it at all, and it still has the powder on it.

dukedogsmom
06-24-2005, 09:52 PM
That looks like it hurts. Good thing it's not bothering her and that she can't reach it. When it rains, it poors. Hopefully it won't be raining Sunday.

MariaM
06-24-2005, 10:16 PM
Major had something that looked quite similar to that once, and I have no idea how he got it. That was a few months ago. About one month ago I found another on the bottom of his chin...I'm quite sure it's gone. He was never bothered by it either.

Ginger's Mom
06-25-2005, 05:39 AM
Hope Nala'a owwie looks better today.

Oggyflute
06-25-2005, 06:39 AM
Hoping Nala get's better real soon.

Kfamr
06-25-2005, 07:08 AM
I actually looks A LOT better now. Last night it got to looking really bad (It was actually bleeding a bit and very red) and I cried myself to sleep worrying :rolleyes:
However, now it's brown and just a little gunky. We're going to call the vets soon (They open at 8 and just now turned 8)

Hopefully we don't have to spend a lot of money. :( We've been trying to save up money to go to Michigan and even if it ends up the pups and I don't go, i'd still like if my parents would be able to.

*edit* We just got an appointment to go in at 11:30. Lets hope we don't have to spend a ton of money and Nala will be okay.

Gosh, what else can these dogs go in for in one month? They must love it there.

prechrswife
06-25-2005, 08:01 AM
Don't feel bad. Hot spots come out of nowhere. Oscar is prone to them, so we've learned to watch for them. Our vet usually shaves the area immediately around it and gives us some medicine to put on them. I think she has given Oscar a shot for it, too. I don't remember exactly what because the last time was a year ago.

pitc9
06-25-2005, 08:24 AM
I hope everything goes well at the vets!

Kfamr
06-25-2005, 11:36 AM
$170 later... :rolleyes:

-sigh- Hopefully this is all these dogs have planned this year as far as vet trips, because we can't afford to take them to the vet every week for things like this. I think they're worth every penny.

2 pills a day, got it shaved and cleaned. We had to see a different vet, Dr. Tucker. She took care of Nala.

*WARNING, PICTURE OF THE HOT SPOT...*

http://petevents.com/~simba/nalahotspot1.jpg
http://petevents.com/~simba/nalahotspot2.jpg

The redness and bumps around it is from the shave.
It seems to me the picture makes it look a lot worse. But yeah, my poor girl.. :(

Buddy Blaze Lover
06-25-2005, 11:37 AM
Oh Nala, I hope you feel better soon!!:(

luvofallhorses
06-25-2005, 11:42 AM
Feel better soon Nala!

CagneyDog
06-25-2005, 01:01 PM
I hope Nala has a speedy recovery :)

vinjashira
06-25-2005, 04:39 PM
ouch - that looks awful :( I'm glad she is not in pain though.
get better soon Nala!

chocolatepuppy
06-25-2005, 05:38 PM
Poor Nala :( I hope she heals up quickly.

cyber-sibes
06-25-2005, 06:12 PM
Whoa, I've been away from pt of 24 hrs-- guess why? Star has a hot spot too. At least Nala's isn't where she can get to it, licking makes it SO much worse. I used Gold Bond powder on her last one, seemed to help. But it took a LONG time to heal. So this time it was a trip to the vet for a steroid shot, meds, and spray. You definitly did the right thing taking poor Nala to the vet - heal up quickly Nala!

RobiLee
06-25-2005, 07:03 PM
Awww, poor Nala :(

I hope it heals up fast. Best wishes to Miss Nala.

*LabLoverKEB*
06-25-2005, 09:13 PM
KayAnn, I'm so sorry to read about Nala baby's hot spot.:( :( This is very very upsetting. I just wanted to let you know, Kay, that I do care.

Good thought and prayers are coming your way! {{{{{BIG HUGS!!!!}}}}}

love, Sarah and miss Sadie

K9karen
06-26-2005, 12:07 AM
Sorry for late reply, Kay, I just started back at PT. Glad you saw the vet and it eased your mind. Knock on wood, I'm luckier w/Klo than with poor Cody who also lived at the vet. *Sigh* we worry so much about them. Tears your heart out. Do you have pet insurance? Anyway, tons of kisses on Nala, sweet dear. What a brave, excellent girl she is! Glad you feel better too.

Kfamr
06-26-2005, 07:27 AM
Of course, I was JUST about to mention to my mom about how much better it looks today (A SCAB!) and there she goes and itches it. SOOOO.. Nala has a pretty new sock to wear!

I didn't realize she could reach it... Now to keep the sock on?
She doesn't seem to care about it right now. Walks normally.
Poor girl probably won't be able to have any fun today. :(

I guess, on a good note, if she's itching it means it's healing.

beeniesmom
06-26-2005, 09:23 AM
At least she can't reach it to mess with it.
It'll heal soon.
Hope she feels better!

clara4457
06-26-2005, 12:40 PM
Hi Kay - hope Nala is feeling better. Hot spots are a pain, but this time of year are pretty common. I worry about it with Penny when she plays in the pool. We haven't had any yet, thank goodness, but I keep an eye out anyway.

Kfamr
07-05-2005, 07:17 PM
Thanks again everyone - who's posted and who've recently sent PM's concerned about Nala. For those of you who have been wondering and asking through PM's about how she's doing, here's your update. :) Thanks again.

Her hot spot is nearly gone, thank gosh. You can see the new skin and she's got a bit of scab left over. she has 5 days left of pills to take. Her hair is growing back too, but it looks quite silly. I wish they hadn't shaved off so much when it really wasn't that large.

Her face is healing too, so she's been trying to itch it quite often. They look a bit better than they did before.

She hasn't gotten a bath in quite a while because i've been afraid to irritate the hot spot. Although it looks like it's almost completely healed now, she'll probably be getting a bath sometime this week.

http://petevents.com/~simba/ouchies1.jpg

http://petevents.com/~simba/ouchies2.jpg

chocolatepuppy
07-05-2005, 07:36 PM
Good to see Nala's doing better. That hot spot was well...yucky! Looks much better now. Good for Nala! :D

luvofallhorses
07-05-2005, 07:43 PM
She is healing up nicely :)

k9krazee
07-05-2005, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the update! Glad she's healing up!

Lexi_Lover
07-05-2005, 08:35 PM
YAY! Thats a good girl Nala! You're such a brave girl! I know its itchy sweetie, but don't scratch it! Glad to see you're back to yourself almost!

How about some Celebration Pics Kay? :D

cocker_luva
07-05-2005, 10:51 PM
poor lil nala

CagneyDog
07-05-2005, 11:06 PM
I'm *so* happy to hear that she is feeling better!

Kfamr
07-06-2005, 10:41 AM
Thanks everyone. :)

I may be able to post some pictures sometime today. ( I have a TON I haven't posted yet. :o )

Another silly, but exciting(for me) update..

Last night when my friend Gina was over, she looked down at Nala and goes "OH! It's healing.."
I didn't look at it but I had earlier, so I said "Yeah, she only has a little bit of scab left."

Gina told me to look at it, and the scab was completely gone!
It must have either fallen off or she itched it off, but now all I see is new skin! :D I was just looking at it a few seconds ago and before she'd kind of "twitch" when I touched near it, now she doesn't even bother! :) :D

Ginger's Mom
07-06-2005, 10:54 AM
I am so glad to hear that Nala's hotspot is almost completely healed. Poor little girl, she was very brave. I hope her other owwies heal well.

swimma253
07-06-2005, 12:47 PM
Aww I just saw this now. Meeka has the same thing, only she has two! :eek: :( Hers is getting better... but its still there. Im glad Nala's is better! :D

ramanth
07-06-2005, 01:13 PM
Yay!! I'm so happy to hear that Nala's little owie has healed.

Hot spots are sooo annoying!

BitsyNaceyDog
07-06-2005, 02:48 PM
it looks great! I'm so glad she's doing so much better.