PDA

View Full Version : sit ups/crunches/exercise question

finn's mom
06-24-2005, 10:59 AM
Hey, everyone. I've (inconsistently) worked out or exercised for the past ten or so years. But, one thing I've never seemed to "get" is how to do crunches or sit ups without using my neck muscles......any suggestions? I concentrate on it, but, just can't seem to figure out how to put less strain on the back of my neck without losing the benefit of doing those kinds of exercise. I just don't want to hurt myself.

Jadapit
06-24-2005, 11:06 AM
I have the same problem Kari. Sit ups kill my neck. Have you tried putting one of your arms behind your neck for support? Did that make sence? Thats what i do, it helps a little bit.

Have you seen the ab lounge on tv? I would love to try it. I looked it up online it's pretty expensive. Have you tried the swiss ball? I'm thinking about getting one of those. I'm sure I didnt help you much. Lol.:)

finn's mom
06-24-2005, 11:08 AM
I have tried using the big exercise balls, before, and, love them. I left mine in Texas with a friend. I need to get another one, is the swiss ball the same thing? Just a big inflatable ball? I do put my hands behind my head sometimes, and, that eleviates a little of the stress, but, I think I'm still doing something wrong. Hmmmm....I know I've been wanting to get a personal trainer at some point, but, that requires money. ;)

Jadapit
06-24-2005, 11:14 AM
Yes, thats what the swiss ball is.;) I had a friend tell me (she is a personal trainer) to get the firm tapes. It has an ab tape with it.
You might want to check those out, they arent very expensive.

Maybe we are using our neck to pull up instead of our stomach muscles:confused: I hear ya, I would love to be able to afford a personal trainer.

Jadapit
06-24-2005, 11:17 AM
One more thing, the friend I know that is a personal trainer I meant online she lives a long way from me. If she were closer I would have her show me how to do the sit ups right.:)

finn's mom
06-24-2005, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Jadapit
Maybe we are using our neck to pull up instead of our stomach muscles:confused:

Pretty much. I know what I'm doing wrong, I just have a hard time correcting it. :) I just got a little advice, to take baby steps, maybe not go up as high, until the abs are doing more and more work each time....that makes sense, i'm just impatient. i really do like those exercise balls. as soon as i can, i'm taking another pilates class, that's been my favorite so far. one of my goals is to improve my posture, and, lengthen my muscles. I don't want bulk at all, i just want to have better balance, posture, etc. And, just a lither (form of lithe, but, would it be "more lithe" instead of lither...hmmmm) shape than what I have now. :)