PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrow is the day.

Stenograsaurus
02-13-2002, 08:44 AM
I have to drop Misty off tonight at the Vet's. She goes under anestesia tomorrow to get her teeth cleaned. She has to stay overnight tonight and then they do it first thing in the morning. They said it's easier on them if they stay over so they have more time to get use to the smells and sounds and stuff because cats are skittish. I'm really worried about it. I hope she's strong enough to handle it. The Vet does an examination on them before he puts them under and if he thinks there will be a problem, then he won't do the surgery. I just hate that stupid form that you have to read and sign saying that you realize that there are risks involved and there is a possibility of death. I don't need that fact highlighted!!!! I worry enough about it. Here it is 9:30 and I'm worrying already. I guess I'm just a worrier.
Anyway, please keep Misty in your prayers tomorrow.

Edwina's Secretary
02-13-2002, 08:56 AM
Edwina has this done every other year. For a few days she is groggy but that is it. Do you know how your vet puts cats under? There is the lampshade over the head method that is most common but some vets now use like a fish aquarium that they fill then with the either or whatever. (Too many words for this discussion I can't spell!) We now take Edwina to a cats only vet. She fights so at the vet that we think her previous vet wrestled her pretty hard. We hope this new method will be easier for her.

Nonetheless a few days of being mad at us and sulking and she was fine. I'm sure Misty will be too!

Former User
02-13-2002, 09:01 AM
All fingers and paws are crossed here for Misty, she'll pull thru like a champ, you'll see! I know it's easier said than done not to worry, but try not to worry too much ok? Come and chat here on the Pet Talk, and keep us posted ok?

You're in our thoughts Misty! http://www.plauder-smilies.de/happy/xyxthumbs.gif

Randi
02-13-2002, 11:05 AM
Hi Stenograsaurus!

Don't worry, she will be allright! Our Fister (5 years old) had his teeth cleaned a couple of months ago and I can tell you, he is difficult to handle for anybody! First, we had to give him sedation to be able to get him in the transportbox. Then, at the vet (his very first time there) he was examined and given the anaehstesia. We were allowed to come and get him 5 hours later- and we did. We put him on our bed - he was still totally gone, but he was already trying to crawl out after 3 more hours. He was determined to go and get a bite to eat and a sip of water, so I had to help him stand upright. It was hilarious too see him walk! :D

Oh, I forgot to tell that he had a tooth come loose (we knew that already) and he was going to have that taken out, but when we collected him, the vet told us that he had had to have 2 out :( Poor Fister! Anyway, he has got used to it very quickly and can still eat dry food. :p

Good luck with Misty! We're all crossing our paws and fingers! :)

Please let us know tomorrow how she's doing!

MichelleN
02-13-2002, 11:57 AM
Good luck! I know your baby will be OK. My Digby dog is going for elbow x-rays tomorrow (hoping it's not displasia) and they're going to try without anaesthetic but they might have to put him under if the tranquilizer is not good enough. So I will be keeping your darling and mine in my prayers tomorrow.

yumyum6970
02-13-2002, 12:23 PM
Dutchess and Yum Yum wish Misty good luck tomorrow.

http://pepeirce.tripod.com/thekittycorner

Stenograsaurus
02-13-2002, 12:49 PM
I wouldn't be so worried if it wasn't for the fact that she's been pretty sick lately. She lost five pounds and is just now starting to eat a little again. She had infection in her kidneys. Apparently when the teeth and/or gums get as bad as hers, the bacteria from the teeth and gums can either travel into their heart or kidneys. So it apparently was bad enough that it was going into her kidneys. At least that's what the Vet thought happened. I know she's still a little weak. Misty is 8 years old.

Michelle - I hope your dog doesn't have hip displasia. My co-workers dog has a bumb knee. It goes in and out of the joint but it's not severe enough to require surgery. Every time she exercises hard, she limps for a couple of days afterwards. She just has to take it easy. I hope all works out well for you tomorrow.

lynnestankard
02-13-2002, 01:23 PM
Don't worry Steno., Misty will feel so much better when she's had her teeth done and can eat normally again. Yes I've heard that infections can travel through the blood stream and affect other organs - she's going to feel so much better. Fingers are crossed here.

Lynne

AmberLee
02-13-2002, 01:53 PM
{{{Misty, Steno}}},

You are in are thoughts and prayers. Fingers and paws are crossed here that all goes swimmingly.

TheAntiPam
02-13-2002, 07:02 PM
My kitty Murf has had dental work more than once - and even had a tooth removed when he got wild at the vet's office and hit his face on something, which loosened the tooth. All that said, he never had any ill effects after about 2 days of being grumpy.

I did notice that he seemed healthier after the 2nd teeth cleaning - so I'm sure that the benefits will be great for Misty.

Best healthy wishes to Misty - and her mom!

Gio
02-14-2002, 04:11 AM
We are all thinking of you Misty!!

Stenograsaurus
02-14-2002, 08:53 AM
Thank you all for your thoughts and concerns. I dropped her off last night. She's probably being done right now. I'll pick her up after work tonight. I received a phone call yesterday that my Uncle died so that really kept my mind off of the cat. I hardly thought about her at all last night.

Gio
02-14-2002, 09:30 AM
Condolances for your uncle's death.

Former User
02-14-2002, 09:55 AM
Oh, we're so sorry to hear about your Uncle, so sorry. Stay strong ok? Take good care!

Niina & Patrick

K & L
02-14-2002, 10:13 AM
My sympathies to you and your family.

lynnestankard
02-14-2002, 11:22 AM
K & L - so sorry to hear your sad news - my thoughts are with you and your family.

Lynne

AvaJoy
02-15-2002, 11:41 PM
Misty should be fine, even if the vet has to extract teeth . . . my Lily (about 15) has hardly any teeth, and I understand that cats can eat just fine without them . . . hard to believe, but it seems to be true! She was a rescue, and when the vet cleaned her teeth she extracted several that were no doubt causing Lily discomfort.

My condolences to you and yours regarding your uncle's passing.

tatsxxx11
02-16-2002, 07:12 AM
Dear Steno...I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your uncle. I hope you find strength and comfort in the loving embrace of your family. And of course, my thoughts and prayers are with you and sweet Misty. Love, Sandra

Pam
02-16-2002, 07:19 AM
Steno, my heartfelt sympathy on the loss of your uncle. I hope seeing Misty after her stay at the vet might brighten your day a little. Pets are often the best medicine when it comes to helping their humans through an emotional situation. I look forward to hearing about how Misty did and wish for brighter days ahead for you.

Stenograsaurus
02-16-2002, 06:00 PM
Thank you all for your kind words and support. The last few days have been very difficult ones for all of us. Today was the funeral. It also would have been my dad's birthday. He died six years ago. I thank God that I have my friends and family (fur ones included) to help me through such difficult times.

I had called the Vet's Thursday afternoon to see how MIsty was doing and if I could pick her up after work at 5:00. They said to pick her up between 6 and 8. I said, well, last night you said I could pick her up around 5. They said, well, just call before you come. So then I got worried that she wasn't doing as good as she should be doing. So I called at 4:30 before I left work and they put me on hold. I thought, I don't like this. Then they got back on the phone and said, well, you have two choices. I immediately thought, okay, they killed my cat and my choices are a new cat or a credit towards my future bills. So I slowly said, okay. And she said, well, we had a bunch of emergencies this morning and we didn't get to Misty until 1:00. You can either wait to pick her up later or get her now and keep her in her cate at home for a coupleof hours. I thought, phew, she's alive. So I, of course, opted to get her home ASAP. So I brought her home, let her in her cage for an hour, then took her out and let her lay on my chest and sleep for another hour. She's 100 percent better now and eating like crazy!!! She has a lot to make up for.
Thanks again to everyone.

Former User
02-18-2002, 02:21 AM
Hey, so nice to hear that Misty is doing okay! Hope you are feeling better too, take care ok?!

Hugs to both of you!

Gio
02-18-2002, 03:59 AM
I'm so pleased that Misty is doing better and that she started to eat again. You've had so much to worry about that that's at least one load off your mind.

tatsxxx11
02-18-2002, 06:14 PM
So glad to hear the good news about Misty! You had my heart thumpin there for a minute!:confused: Keep up the good work chowing down, Misty! And Steno, I continue to keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. I am glad to hear you have family there to help you through this sad time. Love, Sandra

luvdemabys
02-19-2002, 07:07 PM
HALLELUJAH!!!

Pam
02-19-2002, 07:27 PM
Phew! Glad that's all over and Misty is home. I think some of my happiest moments have been when one of my cats is asleep on my chest. It is just the ultimate form of relaxation!

michelene
02-19-2002, 08:24 PM
Steno--
So glad to hear that Misty is doing well. May the Lord grant eternal rest to your uncle and let perpetual light shine upon him. May his soul and all the souls of the faithful departed rest in peace.

zippy-kat
02-19-2002, 11:12 PM
Michelene, that was beautiful.

Steno, I'm so happy little Misty is doing better! My sympathy for the passing of your uncle.

Stenograsaurus
02-20-2002, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by michelene
Steno--
So glad to hear that Misty is doing well. May the Lord grant eternal rest to your uncle and let perpetual light shine upon him. May his soul and all the souls of the faithful departed rest in peace.

I'm sitting here at work fighting back tears now. That was beautiful. Thank you. He was a special man. He had a way of making everyone feel like they were so important. He took everyone under his wing. And you could tell by the amount of people at the viewings and funeral. The only time I had seen that many people was at a police officer's funeral. It was amazing!!! It showed his true character. And the funeral procession was so long. The funeral director said he hadn't seen a funeral procession that long for about ten years. Heaven definitely gained when they received him.

Stenograsaurus
02-20-2002, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Pam
Phew! Glad that's all over and Misty is home. I think some of my happiest moments have been when one of my cats is asleep on my chest. It is just the ultimate form of relaxation!

It was very relaxing. I almost fell asleep also. I love to hear the purring but she was still out of it and she didn't purr. I love it when she lays on top of my head at night. I just lay there and listen to her purring and before long I'm out. I don't think she moves during the night because when I wake up, she's in the same spot. :)