PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! Kitty Claw Injury

learlaw
02-12-2002, 07:11 PM
Yesterday, I was petting one of my cats, J.C. I saw that he had a little nail stuck in his paw. I figured his nail was shedding, but when I looked -- Yuck! His entire right outside nail on his right back paw was gone -- there was just a bloody little stub. :( It looks like he got caught on something (J.C. is not the brightest cat) and just ripped the nail out. It was not actively bleeding and he only started complaining when I tried to examine it. I put neosporin on the little toe and J.C. can walk just fine and is acting normal, until I try to "treat" him. I am keeping an eye out to see if he gets infected. :eek: But, so far, he seems just OK, until I try to do anything to make his paw better. Than he growls at me. :mad:

I have not taken him to the vet and my plan is to do so if anything looks infected or if it does not seem to start healing. Has anyone else ever had this experience? If he needs to get to the vet, please let me know.

Also, J.C. is an inside-outside cat and likes to go out and patrol the yard. I tried to keep him inside last night, but he kept crying and pounding at the door to leave. (Yes, my cat is a brat.) I was thinking of trying to put a little bootie on him to protect the foot, but I figured he would just chew it right off. Any suggestions, folks?

Thanks, Sherry

AmberLee
02-12-2002, 08:18 PM
I haven't seen this type of injury and don't know what to suggest other than keep on monitoring it. :confused: :confused:

Good luck (and sorry I'm no more help :( :o Do keep us posted on how things progress.)

Gio
02-13-2002, 08:33 AM
Something similar happened to one of my sister's cats.

She did take him to the vet since it kept on bleeding. The vet just gave him antibiotics just to be on the safe side and told her to keep the wound clean.

I think that putting some disinfectant on until the wound is fresh is the main thing you can do since they can pick up dust and bacteria just by stepping in the litter box. If you see that it's not healing properly then I would take him to the vet, my sister did take him straight away because she volunteers in a shelter and she was afraid she might have brough some bacteria home with her shoes (she often works with infected ferals).

purrley
02-13-2002, 08:51 AM
Watch out for infection:( try and keep the wound clean as possible and everything should be ok:)

learlaw
02-15-2002, 01:58 PM
JC seems to be doing just fine with his little injury, until I try to treat him. He really ripped the whole claw right out of there. It is still red and raw, but not actively bleeding. I keep putting neosporin on it and I have tried to trim the hair around the toe (he has long hair) so that it does not get matted and into the wounded area. Boy, does JC get mad. :mad: He screams at me when I go near his toe. But, five seconds later, he is back on my lap purring and wanting me to snuggle with him. Luckily, he is a forgiving cat, unlike my Buster who has the memory of an elephant. :p

Thanks again, Sherry

AmberLee
02-15-2002, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the update. I was worried about JC. Sounds like it's starting to heal. {{{JC}}}