PDA

View Full Version : need to find a home for moms cats...

smarti66
06-22-2005, 10:48 PM
hi everyone... I am new here, but am in desperate need of a good home for 2 four year old cats. These cats are litter mates, 1 boy & 1 girl - they were born on July 4th so r due to have a birthday soon which will make them 4 !

My mom relocated to TX almost 10 months ago & the living situation for her has been difficult ! In her last home, mom had a 2 story... the cats upstairs... dogs downstairs. In her new home, the cats are living in the guest bedroom as prisoners as the dogs terrorize them if given a chance. Mom is keeping the dogs as she shows them, so finding homes for them is out of the question.

Mom is willing to ship the cats to a loving home, but as the temperature rises I dont know how much longer we can ship... we are located in Lubbock, TX !! We would be willing to travel up to 350 miles any direction from here to help these cats find a new family.

If you know of anyone who could help these cats, please let me know.

Thanks,
Steph

smarti66
06-22-2005, 10:49 PM
thought u might like to see Mr. Indy !!

kittycats_delight
06-22-2005, 10:58 PM
They are gorgeous. I don't think I could part with those babies. I really wish I knew of someone but I am sure you will find someone here or someone who knows someone who would give them a great home. Good Luck and keep us posted on the outcome of their relocation please.

NoahsMommy
06-22-2005, 11:42 PM
:( How sad to have to part with those lovely kitties. :(

I'm not in a position to take them...hopefully someone here can.

sandragonfly
06-23-2005, 03:54 AM
hi step..

first off, WELCOME! :) glad you could come here and find some help around here.. (I hope so!).

but as there has been a lot of new threads about adoption, yours would be difficuler to take those sweethearts in! e.i., I can't because I already own so many! :)

and I pray you can find them home altogether! do hope you, really soon, can find them a home together in time! good luck and glad you could watch over them, the cherished ones! (for us)..

catmandu
06-23-2005, 08:41 AM
LUBBOCK,TEXAS,OF COURSE,THE HOME,OF THE LATE GREAT BUDDY HOLLY,THE ROCK,AND ROLL GUITARIST,AND PIONEER.
I WISH,THAT I WAS CLOSER,THAN CATADA,AS I WOULD GIVE,THOSE TWO BIG BABIES,A ROOM,IN THE FOUND CAT HOTEL ACCLIMATION ROOM,UNTIL,THE FOUND CATS,ARE WILLING,TO MAKE FRIENDS.
WHICH,EXCEPT,FOR POUNCETTE,USUALLY TAKES,PLACE,WITHIN A WEEK.
AND IF THEY ARE AS BIG,AS THEY LOOK,POUNCETTE,MAY MAKE AN EXCEPTION,AS SHE LOVES BIG CATS,MOOSE THE MAGNIFICENT,AND RAGNAR GUSTAFSON.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos817.jpg

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-23-2005, 01:07 PM
To bad that Belgium is a lot more than 350 miles away... :( ! I hope you find a solution for those sweeties!!

Oh, http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/smilies%20798%20welcome_lions.gif to PetTalk!!

kuhio98
06-23-2005, 02:08 PM
I'm so sorry that your Mom needs to find a home for her kitties. Have you posted fliers at the Vet's in your area? That might be a way to get the word out. Also, try contacting No Kill shelters in Texas. They will foster the kitties until a good home can be found. But, they may not be adopted together. :(

Here's a place in Bryan-College Station, Texas: http://www.thecatscradle.net/ but there are many others.

http://www.adoptapet.com/States/Texas.html

Good luck. Please keep us posted.

smarti66
06-23-2005, 02:13 PM
I have put flyers up all over town, even Petsmart. Our local shelters do NOT have a NO-KILL policy. Ive tried every friend & relative we have... I just thought it wouldnt hurt to try online... especially since we are willing to ship / or deliver.

Thanks,
Steph

kittycats_delight
06-23-2005, 02:15 PM
I don't know about this but can you put them on petfinder.com? Or sign up to pethop and catster and post that they are for adoption. That way you can reach other people that are looking for animals to adopt. Good Luck please keep us posted.

kuhio98
06-23-2005, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by smarti66
I have put flyers up all over town, even Petsmart. Our local shelters do NOT have a NO-KILL policy. Ive tried every friend & relative we have... I just thought it wouldnt hurt to try online... especially since we are willing to ship / or deliver.

That's why I posted the links. It appears that there are many no kill shelters in Texas. Maybe not in Lubbock, but since you are willing to drive a few hundred miles, you should be able to find a no kill shelter. It's not ideal, but if no one comes forward to adopt them, at least they will have a chance.

janelle
06-23-2005, 11:02 PM
I think those dogs need to be trained to stop terrorising those cats. Let the cats scratch them just one time on the nose and I bet that does it for the dogs. They will behave like gentlemen after that. It's a try.

G535
06-24-2005, 12:49 AM
I agree, dogs and cats can get on together if they are trained right!

janelle
06-25-2005, 06:05 PM
Heck my two kitties get into it somethimes and I have to separate them and give them a good talking to. They just love each other but like any animal and human they have run ins at times.

smarti66
06-25-2005, 06:28 PM
thanks for all the replies... While I know SOME animals DO get along... believe me, we have TRIED to make it work... there does come a time when you have to find resolution. Its not a easy thing to do for my mom, she is very emotional about the whole thing. I have checked some of the links and as I said before there are not any NO-KILL shelters around here... I know there are a few in the DFW area... as a very last resort we will make the trip down for that... we hope that is not what it comes to.

Thanks again everyone,
Steph

finn's mom
06-25-2005, 07:19 PM
hey, good luck finding homes for the kitties. hopefully they find a home soon. that sucks that your mom has to part with them. but, it sounds like they'll be happier and less stressed in a different situation. i wish i could help. :(

finn's mom
06-27-2005, 09:45 AM
Any luck?

smarti66
06-27-2005, 10:32 AM
not at all !! I just dont know how to find these cats a home... all my friends that like cats already have their cats... Im at my wits end with this dilemna.

finn's mom
06-27-2005, 10:47 AM
This really sucks, I wish I could help you. :( I think it sucks that your mom can't keep them. But, if the tables were turned and she was getting rid of her dogs because they didn't like her cats, it would be just as upsetting to a lot of people in here. I don't know y'all's situation, but, I usually tend to give people the benefit of the doubt. I mean, you're obviously pet lovers or you wouldn't even be putting this effort into rehoming them. You would have just taken them straight to the pound or something. I mean, it's disappointing that the animals don't get along, and, as long as everything has been tried as far as teaching them to get along, then, this sounds like the last resort. But, if it's the difference between the cats living in a bedroom with dogs in the house that don't like them, and, finding them a home where they can roam around, undisturbed, then, I think you're doing the right thing. What kind of dogs are they, anyway?

smarti66
06-27-2005, 11:18 AM
Pembroke Welsh Corgis - they are in hte :herding" group... and they try to herd the cats... its really a mess that needs to be resolved. Ive seen alot of sarcastic comments on some of the threads I posred... what people dont understand is she can NOT keep the cats... that simple !

Thanks for your support, Finn
Steph

finn's mom
06-27-2005, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by smarti66
Ive seen alot of sarcastic comments on some of the threads I posred... what people dont understand is she can NOT keep the cats... that simple !

Don't take them too personally. If you all have done everything you can to make the situation better, than your conscience is clear and you have nothing to worry about. If not, there's such a thing as karma. Folks just don't like to see people give up on pets, that's all. And, without knowing you personally and knowing the situation, people sometimes assume the worst. Again, even the sometimes negative remarks come from good places, for the most part. It seems as though you've done what you can, but, if the dogs are stressing the cats out, it may be the best thing to find homes for either the dogs or the cats. and, either way, you would probably get a little negativism, which is just human nature, ya know? Anyway, I wish you the best of luck, I really wish I could help you.

moosmom
06-27-2005, 01:36 PM
Ive seen alot of sarcastic comments on some of the threads I posred... what people dont understand is she can NOT keep the cats... that simple

Well gee, maybe she should've thought of that BEFORE she adopted the cats!!

finn's mom
06-27-2005, 01:39 PM
How long has your mother had the cats? And, how long has she had the dogs?

smarti66
06-27-2005, 06:17 PM
she has had the dogs some of them as many as 8 years... cats almost 4 years... this is NOT someone who wants to ABANDON her animals... she loves them all very much, but her living situation has DRASTICALLY changed and now she has many changes to complete. It is not a case of her being irresponsible... every animal she has owned as an adult herself she had until she lost them through old-age.

I had hoped that I could get some positive ideas on this web site, but seems people just want to comment on how terrible she is... I really dont need any of that negativity as we are under alot of stress over this situation.

So, I am considering this post CLOSED.... thanks to those who truly DID try to help !!

Steph

cruisetime
06-28-2005, 09:20 AM
Steph - Sorry - thanks for trying. It was worth a try. Good luck and I'll talk to you on the cruise board...... Sorry again, Debbie