PDA

View Full Version : Cat Acting Strange

K & L
02-12-2002, 07:04 AM
Our cat Calvin, approximately 2 years old, has been acting strange the last 2 days. He is staying in a crouched position, and doesn't want to move much. He will not eat his food. I took him to the vet today, they ran blood work and a urinalysis which results will be back tomorrow. They were able to extract urine and said it appeared he wasn't blocked. He was a bit dehydrated but temperature is normal and so is heart beat etc. He didn't appear injured anywhere but doesn't want to have much to do with movement. If you pick him up it doesn't appear that it hurts him. Any ideas what this could be?

Karen
02-12-2002, 07:36 AM
Is he crouched anywhere particular like he's hiding from something?

Former User
02-12-2002, 08:01 AM
Ok, maybe a stupid question, are his ears clean?

K & L
02-12-2002, 08:39 AM
Ears are perfect! Teeth checked out fine! He's crouching anywhere, like he just doesn't want to move. At first I thought he was being bullied by one of the other cats, but that's not it. I sure hope I find out something early this morning from the vet. I'm really getting worried. Hated to come to work today.

purrley
02-12-2002, 09:40 AM
K & L glad you got him to the vet - a cat that haunch sits a lot is usually an ill cat - how does his fur look? Is it nice and smooth or is it kinda scraggley. Hopefully you'll find out whats wrong soon - let us know and we'll be praying for him.

Gio
02-12-2002, 09:43 AM
I wish I could come up with some ideas. Please let us know what the vet says.

K & L
02-12-2002, 09:57 AM
Furr is fine! He was doing fine a couple days ago. He's usually one of the trouble makers and he's just not moving. I'm calling them in about 5 minutes (when they open) and give them an update. I will keep you all posted. It will be a good FYI symptons for anyone else. We have 16 cats and I've never experienced anything like this. Poor guy!

lynnestankard
02-12-2002, 10:46 AM
Any news K&L? D'you think one of the others has bitten him?
Good luck.

Lynne

K & L
02-12-2002, 12:12 PM
Just got back from the vet. All blood and urine work came back normal. Temps still normal, no wounds or signs of injury. They're keeping him for observation and xrays to see if there could be an intestinal blockage. They will call me this afternoon. He was worse when I took him in. It's the strangest thing. Thanks for all your concerns and I'll keep you posted.

lynnestankard
02-12-2002, 02:13 PM
K & L Glad the blood and urine came back OK.

It's awful when they keep 'em in for observation isn't it? But best in the long run - I DO hope they sort him out everso quickly and the poor boy is soon home feeling WONDERFUL!!

Calvin's in my thoughts and I'm praying for the little fella. Good Luck

Lynne

K & L
02-12-2002, 03:52 PM
Just talked with the vet, they think Calvin has some neurological problem. What or why is still a question. They are doing some more testing. This is making me sick. All other cats are OK, so they don't think it was something toxic that caused it. I will post more when I know something else.

Former User
02-12-2002, 04:00 PM
Oh no, poor Calvin!!! I hope it's nothing too serious and that Calvin would feel better soon!

K & L
02-12-2002, 08:31 PM
Talked with the vets this afternoon and they are very stumped with what is wrong with Calvin. His xray's came back with no signs of trauma. He's acting as if he had a stroke, expcept he's only 2 years old and too young for that. All tests have been normal, he's just not. They kept him overnight for observation, IV, and giving him an anti-inflammatory. I will know more in the morning.

AmberLee
02-12-2002, 08:39 PM
{{{Calvin, K&L}}}

So sorry you are going through this anxiety. Not knowing can drive you batty. Is there any change in his condition -- is he getting better? worse?

:eek: :(

When I first read your note I wondered if he could have fallen and bruised himself? Although I'm sure the doctors would have checked for that. Hope the news is better in the morning.

Holding you in my thoughts and prayers...

lynnestankard
02-13-2002, 02:49 AM
Oh K&L - so sorry to hear the later report on poor Calvin - am hoping and hoping the report this morning will give MUCH better news. Be strong.xxx
Lynne

K & L
02-13-2002, 11:53 AM
Talked with the vet. Calvin did not have a stroke either. It appears the neurological problem is in his front half of his body. He can't control his front legs. He did not respond to the medicine as of last night. The vets want to keep working with him and give him time. Seems he loses control of his legs, but can regain himself after some time. They said this is one of the most unusual cases they've seen. I will keep all posted. OH...they did say it appears is in very little, if no pain. Thank Goodness!!

purrley
02-13-2002, 11:56 AM
Oh my goodness - what a weird thing to have happen to this poor guy:( :( is there any hope for recovery??? I feel so bad:( :(

K & L
02-13-2002, 01:20 PM
The vets are hoping for him to recover. They told us to be patient.

lynnestankard
02-13-2002, 01:34 PM
Oh K & L - so sorry to hear about Calvin - poor little furkid. I'll keep him in my thoughts and prayers.
So long as he's not in pain - that's important.

Lynne
:( :(

Former User
02-13-2002, 01:49 PM
Oh Calvin boy :( Lots and lots of good thoughts for you from Belgium, hope you feel better soon.

AmberLee
02-13-2002, 01:56 PM
Wow! :( What a shocker. It's a relief that he's in no pain, but the little guy must be shocked. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Is the vet trying therapy, medicine, or a combination? :confused:

K & L
02-13-2002, 02:51 PM
Yes, they're trying both. He's just not responding with his front paws:confused:

K & L
02-13-2002, 04:10 PM
Vet just called, Calvin took a turn for the worse and had to be put down. I'm just so upset.

Former User
02-13-2002, 04:22 PM
Oh no, I am so sorry to hear that, poor Calvin. But he's better now. Hang on there ok? You're in our thoughts.

Edwina's Secretary
02-13-2002, 04:38 PM
I am so, so sorry about your loss of Calvin. My thoughts are with you. May he rest in peace.

AmberLee
02-13-2002, 04:44 PM
{{{K&L}}}

I am so sorry to hear about Calvin. Holding you in our thoughts and prayers.

wolflady
02-13-2002, 06:00 PM
OMG!!! I sure hope Calvin is OK!! I would be just beside myself!! {{{K&L and Calvin}}} That does sound very strange! I'm glad the vets are keeping him for observation and are doing their best to figure out what is wrong. I certainly hope things are better soon! I can imagine the anxiety you must be feeling. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers! Let us know what you find out **hugs**

gini
02-13-2002, 10:43 PM
Oh, I was stunned to read the results. I am so sorry that you have lost Calvin and having this happen so rapidly must have been a huge shock for you.

Did the vet have permission to put him down so rapidly, and did you have an opportunity to see him?

Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers.

K & L
02-13-2002, 11:09 PM
Oh yes, 2 vets got on the phone at different times and recommended this as the most humane thing for him. I trust them explicitly. I couldn't go see him. They said he was beginning to be very vocal (in pain), his body was not responding, and I didn't have the heart to see him in this condition. I don't handle situations like this very well. Unfortunatley my husband was out of town or he would've stayed with him till the end. I feel bad for my husband to find out this long distance. This happened so rapidly and the worse part is the unknown of what or why caused this. Our other 15 cats are just fine so the vets don't feel it was anything toxic, his blood work was perfect so they don't think it was anything contagious. Guess it will be something will never know. It's hard to lose a beloved animal friend and companion. Thank you all for your thoughts, prayers, and concern.

LoudLou
02-13-2002, 11:40 PM
I am so sorry :( :( :( :( to hear about Calvin. Please know you are in our thoughts and prayers.... and we are all here on Pet Talk to help support you through this difficult time.----
Kate,Kit, Loud Louie & The Beans

Gio
02-14-2002, 04:10 AM
I'm terribly sorry about your loss. Please take care, I'll be thinking of you.

lynnestankard
02-14-2002, 04:39 AM
Oh K & L

I'm in tears as I write - I am so sorry to hear about Calvin - poor little furbaby. It must be so hard for you - but please don't berate yourself for not being with him - it happened to me once with an adored furbaby - but you'll just give yourself more grief than you can cope with. It's hard enough to grieve for the littlies isn't it? He's in no pain now and he's at Rainbow Bridge with all our other furbabies . Rember him how he was - not how he'd become. Cry your tears and miss your baby Calvin. We're all here for you - your in our thoughts.

Love Lynne xxx

purrley
02-14-2002, 06:36 AM
K & L:( :( So very sorry about Calvin - just wish it was known what actually happened to him - sure sounds like stroke or blood clot to me, but I'm no vet. God Bless you!!!

wayne0214
02-14-2002, 06:58 AM
K & L, I can certainly sympathize with you over your loss. These furbabies have a way of getting into our hearts, and cause us weeping at their demise. Back in January I lost Aby Princess, a perfect kitty if there ever was one. What was even more depressing is that she always came out to greet me, and on that Friday morning she appearantly did not see the neighbor's dog. It chased her out into the street where she was hit by a car. She is the only one of two kitties at whose demise that I (and I'll have to admit) broke down, thinking, I'll always love my little girl!

..........wayne

wolflady
02-14-2002, 05:02 PM
{{{K&L}}} So sorry for your loss! My heart goes out to you, and you and your furfamily are in my thoughts and prayers. **hugs**

Cinder & Smoke
02-14-2002, 06:17 PM
Dear K & L ~

So very sorry that you lost Calvin :(.
Take comfort in knowing the you and
the Vets did everything possible.

Logan
02-14-2002, 06:54 PM
I just hate that I have missed this thread and haven't offered you words of encouragement all along, and now your Calvin is gone. I am so sorry :( . Your veterinarians sound wonderful and very diligent in trying to figure out what was wrong with him, but not letting him suffer.
My heart goes out to you tonight. There is nothing worse than losing something or somebody that we love so much. My prayers are with you.

Logan

Kazius
03-28-2002, 09:43 PM
I'am so sorry K & L, and my prayers are with you. Unfortunately, my 2 year old male cat experienced the exact same problem today in the morning and had passed away as well :'(

The vets in the clinic had took some x-rays and noticed an unusual shade of gray if not black near "Malysh's" intestine. They said it might be a plastic bag (and it was) They performed a surgical operation on him until he had to be put to rest.

:'(

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-28-2002, 10:34 PM
Kazius, so so sorry to hear about Malysh. I'm relatively new to Pet Talk and hadn't seen this thread so I'm in tears about poor Calvin, and now Malysh. :( I've been so lucky with Tubby and Peanut and I just can't imagine the heartache and grief that you and K&L have gone through with all this "unknown" out there.

Please take care. :( :(

04-08-2002, 12:18 PM
The worst in this whole story must have been the not-knowing ...
I would be so devastated ... !
Will the vet do a post-mortum examination to find out what caused the trouble ?? I know it is hard to decide on that , but I would feel better then ..
Think about the great moments you had with your cat ... ;:)

AvaJoy
04-09-2002, 08:14 PM
:( :( . . . I'm sorry to be posting this so late . . . what sad news and how awful you must feel . . . our thoughts and prayers go out to both K & L and Kazius . . . may comfort be found in your fond memories . . .

krazyaboutkatz
04-12-2002, 01:00 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of Calvin.:( I'm also sorry that I didn't read this thread earlier. :( My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.