PDA

View Full Version : Summer grooming

Samantha Puppy
06-21-2005, 01:31 PM
I'm getting Samantha groomed for her birthday on Saturday. She has really long hair (GSD/Retriever mix - long and "crimpy") and I'd like to get it shaved for summertime. The more I think on it though, the more I can't remember ever seeing a GSD "shaved". So I'm wondering if I should do anything. I just feel bad for her - her hair is black and long and I know she gets so warm on those hot, humid Maryland days. I'd really like to help her out. I've just never had anything other than a bath done when I take her to the groomer's.

So - help from those of you who have dealt with GSDs, Retrievers, and Collies (the 3 main breeds in Samantha) in the summertime. What do you do?

Muddy4paws
06-21-2005, 02:02 PM
We get GSD where I work that are hairy, they mostly come in for a bath aswell but sometimes they get a light haircut around the back legs and the tummy and front, you should explain to the dog groomer who will be doing her what you want and see what they can do for you, they might be able to shave her down a bit to be a bit more cooler

Samantha Puppy
06-21-2005, 02:29 PM
Thanks. :)

When I called for the appointment, the woman asked what I wanted done. I told her I wasn't sure and I'd like to wait until we were both looking at Sam to determine what would be best for her. I guess I'll just stick to that plan!

finn's mom
06-21-2005, 02:31 PM
I wouldn't think shaving would be that great of an idea, but, were you talking about down the skin? I would think a little hair (maybe an inch or more) would be good....but, then, that's why I'm not a dog groomer, cuz I don't know diddly about it. ;) I can't wait to see her before and after photos. And, Happy early Birthday, Samantha! :)

Muddy4paws
06-21-2005, 02:34 PM
Well she will probably love the bath it will cool her right down in this heat! Will we get to see pics?:)

Samantha Puppy
06-21-2005, 02:35 PM
Before and after... I don't think I'm allowed to stick around for the bath and grooming! :)

sandragonfly
06-21-2005, 03:25 PM
well, I would do what muddypaws said.. just a big trim in the back legs, chest & tummy if there's a lot there. just around the thick hairs. that's what I do to my retreiver... and since I don't want my crayola to be bald...what helps us ALOT is ice cubes!! you should try and if samantha loves them as much as my crayola does, you wouldn't believe the result after a few of ice cubes being chewed/swallowed! (you could feel crayola's chest cold inside! nope..not kidding) :) that's the most thing would cool him down completely.

have a happy cool birthday, samantha :)

GoldenRetrLuver
06-21-2005, 03:34 PM
Molly and Daisy go to the groomer at least once during the summer. I've seen plenty of Collie and Golden coats ruined by shaving, and plus, they can take quite a while to grow back, so, I've never had them shaved. I do, however, sometimes have their tail "feathers" cut short as well as their bellies.

Besides, their coat insulates them against the heat and cold weather and protects them from getting sunburned. Living in Southern California, I know all about that dang summer heat. Just keep her well brushed and in a nice, cool area. Does she like the water? I usually bring out Daisy's kiddie pool during the summer and that seems to help cool her down a lot. We'll also turn on the sprinklers for her as well as bring her to my grandmother's house to go swimming. Adding ice to her water may also be a good idea. :)

So, by all means, take her to the groomer, but I would not have her shaved completely.

bckrazy
06-21-2005, 04:00 PM
:o okk... I do shave my BC. I know a LOT of people have said it will ruin his coat, but it seems to grow back thicker every time. He is also not outside during the day for long periods of time at all (he goes to the park in the mornings and evenings and he lays in the cool house all day),so sunburn is not an issue with me. He also gets about 1/2-1" left on. However, shaving close is a big deal and it,erm, looks good on some dogs and strange on others. LOL. which is why I'm thinking of not getting Gonzo fully shaved any more :p I'm sure Sam will look cute if you do!!

Another option is getting a shedding treatment... some groomers do this,others don't have the supplies for it. There is a special rake called a 'Furminator' and special shampoo and conditioner. It helps take out the entire undercoat really well and shedding and dense coat can be very very reduced for 1-3 months. Other groomers rake and brush out the dogs as much as possible and it helps a lot with excess fur. They also clip the hindquarters, flank area, legs, tail, ears, wherever the fur is long. Regular brushing will help alot! I know a lot of people with herding/working dogs that shave their bellies and the inside of their hind legs so that when they get into their baby pools to cool down after working, they're immediately cooled. There are a lot of options... I hope Sammy has fun getting all pretty for her B-Day :)

vinjashira
06-21-2005, 04:03 PM
Snowy is groomed by a lady called Karen who does a wonderful job.

Here are some pictures from her site of a GSD, a Border Collie and a Golden Retriever before and after grooming to give you some idea. They are not really shaved.

GSD before http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/pamperedpetgrooming/images/6-picture3.gif and after http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/pamperedpetgrooming/images/6-picture4.gif

Border Collie before http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/pamperedpetgrooming/images/6-picture1.gif and after http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/pamperedpetgrooming/images/6-picture2.gif

Golden Retriever before http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/pamperedpetgrooming/images/6-picture5.gif and after http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/pamperedpetgrooming/images/6-picture6.gif

jenluckenbach
06-21-2005, 04:39 PM
If you trim the belly, tail and legs like the others suggested, it will look wonderful but it will NOT help with the heat.

If the dog acts like she minds the heat, go for the shave. (and a shave down on that type of dog is usually quite short, but not SKINNED). It looks wonderful (but yes, it looks quite different than you are used to) and it feels nice to the touch.

And you can talk until you are blue in the face, but I just refuse to believe that all that hair insulates against the heat! Just go put on a fur coat in 80 degree weather and see if you aren't hot. :p

Think about this........I have groomed for 21 years. More and more people are getting their large breed, hairy dogs shaved. a good 99.5% of those customers continue to get the dog's hair shaved on a regular basis because they and the dogs LIKE it. You can't argue with that.

ParNone
06-21-2005, 05:25 PM
I dunno I honestly do think the hair insulates. I just recently took Oz hiking and was trying to stay very aware of the heat and how it was effecting him. There were times when his hair would get hot to the touch, but if you felt his skin it was cool.

I personally wouldn't get their hair shaved, unless it was absolutely necessary or if they weren't going to have much in the way of direct exposure to sunlight.

Par...

Shelteez2
06-21-2005, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
If you trim the belly, tail and legs like the others suggested, it will look wonderful but it will NOT help with the heat.

If the dog acts like she minds the heat, go for the shave. (and a shave down on that type of dog is usually quite short, but not SKINNED). It looks wonderful (but yes, it looks quite different than you are used to) and it feels nice to the touch.

And you can talk until you are blue in the face, but I just refuse to believe that all that hair insulates against the heat! Just go put on a fur coat in 80 degree weather and see if you aren't hot. :p

Think about this........I have groomed for 21 years. More and more people are getting their large breed, hairy dogs shaved. a good 99.5% of those customers continue to get the dog's hair shaved on a regular basis because they and the dogs LIKE it. You can't argue with that.

I agree mostly with what you say as well, except that I do believe a properly brushed out coat does help insulate a dog from the heat.
My shelties can go lie out in the sun and come inside and their hair is so hot I can barely touch it, but if I push my fingers through the hair and feel their skin it is cool.

That being said we do shave a lot of double coated breeds at work as well and if Samantha is really bothered by the heat then I would try it once. It is hair it grows back. At work we don't shave dogs with double coats with anything shorter than a #5F blade (your groomer will know what that means) and it's a pretty cute length. It also looks really cute about a month after it gets shaved, kinda fuzzy and puppyish looking.

Good luck with whatever you decide, Samantha will look great no matter what. :)

K9soul
06-21-2005, 06:05 PM
I personally would not opt to shave a doublecoated dog. As Shelteez mentioned, when I had my RB collies their skin always felt cool even if they had been laying in the sun. I feel the coat provides protection from sun and insects, and since dogs do not sweat through their skin it is not the same as a human wearing a coat outside in the sun. I think some people tend to think of it as how they would feel if they were wearing heavy clothes out in the sun but their coolant system is different than ours so it's not really the same.

I did use clippers and gave my RB Cody a trim so his hair was a bit shorter and thus easier to keep brushed out so mats wouldn't form up next to his skin and cause hot spots, which he was prone to, but it was not a shave, just a trim.

This is a subject of many differing opinions, but based on my experiences with my two doublecoated rough collies, I personally would not go for an actual shaving. After watching Willie with his black coat lay right out in the sun and then reaching my fingers into his coat to find his skin cool, I was satisfied :)

Samantha Puppy
06-21-2005, 06:23 PM
Wow, I didn't think it would bring on a debate but I'm glad it did - very interesting and good points to both sides.

I wasn't never speaking of getting Samantha shaved down to her skin, just a major amount of hair cut off - leaving just a 1/2" or an 1". Not sure. Like I said, I asked the woman if we could hold off deciding what to do until she saw Samantha and could give me some guidance.

I'll make sure to take lots of before and after pics and thanks again to everyone who took the time to give me a thoughtful reply! :)

Oh, and Gina - Samantha LOOOOOOOVES ice cubes. :)

wolf_Q
06-23-2005, 12:51 AM
I wouldn't have her shaved either. I know there's arguments on both sides of the fence but I have personally seen many coats ruined from shaving. I've seen some grow back perfectly fine as well. I would have her feathers (legs, belly, tail) trimmed up well and get her undercoat brushed out really good. It's all up to you of course but that's just my opinion.

Nebo has an extremely dense undercoat...it may not be long but it is very thick, he survives in the heat and it does get very hot here in the summer and we don't even have air conditioning (just a swamp cooler). When going on walks Sydney and Reggie seem a lot less tolerant of the heat than Nebo and they are shaved bald where he has a thick coat.

lv4dogs
06-23-2005, 09:04 AM
I think that if a dog is well brushed it does help with keeping hte heat out. Nanook has long hair, very thick too. He'll lay in the sun for hours (when he has access to shade even) his hair is hotter than hot but his skin is nice & cool.

If it were up to me I'd just have him trimmed and MAYBE IF I was really worried & really thought that a shave would help I would start slow, with a half shave, like shave the underside (belly). See how he deals with that at first. If it really seems to help than thats all you probably need, if it helps only a little then maybe go back for more shaving, if it does not help at all your best bet would probably be to just leave it be & just brush well.

IRescue452
06-23-2005, 09:19 AM
I've seen shaved shepherds but I agree that a little hair is important for sun protection. I use a strippig knife all over Autumn to get out the undercoat which she doesn't shed and leave in the topcoat. The before and after pictures look just like those shown above but I don't think anybody is going to use a stripping knife on a big dog. They must have been brushed out good and shaved in some spots.
I think its just a myth that a dogs coat is ruined by shaving. Cutting a piece of hair does nothing to make it grow in thicker or thinner. I'm sorry but new folicles don't pop up when a piece of hair is cut. I think there are many other factors that can affect the dogs hair growing back though. If hair hasn't been shaved since the dog was a puppy and now the dog is older, yes the hair might be growing much thinner but that was even before the dog was shaved. Different foods and health problems affect hair growth and if you shave it and start anew then it may not look as good as before because the old coat was covering those problems.

ParNone
06-23-2005, 11:23 AM
hi IRescue!

I have to disagree with you about ruining coats by shaving or cutting being a myth. It actually can and does change coat texture. My Cairn Terriers had the appropriate wirey coats, until I started scissoring their hair vs hand stripping, which is the correct method. They both ended up with cottony, soft coats as a result.

It wasn't a huge issue to me since they were companion dogs vs show dogs, but it did lead to more grooming for me, because the cottony hair can mat, whereas the wirey coat they were suppose to have really doesn't.

So in essence I did ruin their coat, by cutting it. I could easily see something similar happening to a Collie coat too, where the outer coat is suppose to be Rough vs Soft.

Par...

cali
06-23-2005, 11:33 AM
Rather then shave I just clip, , I trime Happys feathering shorter on her legs and belly, and trim her ears, her tail, and I thin out her Ruff, and shorten her pants, he looks better after, and she seems to feel better too.

Before:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/HappyFM/bd456932.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/HappyFM/e0b0f613.jpg

After:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/HappyFM/b1bd431a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/HappyFM/752083e3.jpg

I do the grooming myself, but thats just me lol

jenluckenbach
06-26-2005, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Shelteez2
I agree mostly with what you say as well, except that I do believe a properly brushed out coat does help insulate a dog from the heat.
My shelties can go lie out in the sun and come inside and their hair is so hot I can barely touch it, but if I push my fingers through the hair and feel their skin it is cool.

This may well be true, but keep in mind that the dogs I see (at the grooming shop) NEVER come in to the shop in a brushed out condition. And not having dogs living at home with me I cannot attest to the coolness of the skin. I am only going by customers reactions to the shaved hair cuts and how they feel their dogs are reacting.