PDA

View Full Version : Shock in the morning - but happy ending

Barbara
06-21-2005, 07:23 AM
This morning when driving to the office (like 20 miles) I was on autopilot as usual:o

I am so glad that in the little villages I strictly respect the speed limits (knowing about the many outside cats that live here). Because there was this little black baby squirrel crossing the street right in front of me.

I was more or less sure it would be safe but still braked as heavily as I could (thanks BMW;) ) when the squirrel got frightened and turned back. Me brake like Godzilla- in the same time sure I will hear a bang from my rear end (ok, the one of the car) as there is a van behind me:rolleyes:

Can't see squirrel:( :( :( then it comes out in front of me somehow between my tires and runs over the street and into a garden:D :D :D

Plus: the guy behind me stands and is not honking his horn:D *thankyou man:D *

The other 18 miles I was still trembling. IF something would have happened to the cars it would have been all my fault as here it is for safety reasons forbidden to brake for small animals -but I am in the fraction of those who never kill a spider (although I am afraid of them) - how could I have lived with killing the cutest littel squirrel?

Hope squirrel has learnt something and stays away from the noisy monster strip:D

furrykidsmother
06-21-2005, 08:09 AM
Glad it had a happy ending and also that no vehicles were damaged either. More than once I have locked up my brakes to avoid hitting a squirrel, chipmunk etc., and almost caused an accident. Glad the little guy was saved and I too hope he learned something from this experience.

Edwina's Secretary
06-21-2005, 01:19 PM
Shirley thanks you.....she says it was a distant relative of hers....

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid138/p1affd8c4b8e47c6dcb0874432b8962b1/f7199539.jpg

aly
06-21-2005, 01:42 PM
Aw, I'm so glad the little squirrel is okay. I never kill anything either. I've been fortunate enough to avoid everything while driving, but I've had a few close calls with squirrels that left me very, very, very grateful it turned out okay.

Samantha Puppy
06-21-2005, 01:49 PM
I think it's illegal to brake for small animals here too, but I do anyway. I once hit a raccoon and cried [read: sobbed] all the way home... and home was over 90 minutes away. The next day I passed where I'd hit him but it wasn't there so I'm assuming I didn't hit it too hard and it was able to limp away. :( I felt SO guilty for hitting it.

I've also braked for chipmunks, bunnies, groundhogs, low-flying kamikaze birds, and deer (obviously!). Not to mention domestic animals that have gotten loose. I brake for everything!

Laura's Babies
06-21-2005, 02:13 PM
My Grand daughter hit a mail box dodging a squirrel in a Volvo and had to pay for a new paint job and replace the mailbox.... The squirrel went on his merry way!

Edwina's Secretary
06-21-2005, 02:43 PM
The squirrel was driving a Volvo????:D :D ;) :D :D

Shirley would have been so jealous....

davidpizzica
06-21-2005, 02:54 PM
Barbara, I'm so glad that the little guy (or girl) is safe and sound. I'm also glad that the driver of the van was so understanding!

ramanth
06-21-2005, 03:10 PM
How scary! When I see something run out in the road, I brake instictively. How could you not? And it's against the law there?

Wow.

Although, in Michigan, most insurance companies will not cover the cost for repairs to a vehicle if you swerve to miss an animal.

Say you swerve to miss a deer and hit a tree. It's likely insurance won't cover it. They would rather you hit the animal as it would supposedly do less damage to the vehicle. :( I guess it does make sense though. Many have died hitting trees from swerving to miss a deer too.

(Though I've seen the damage a deer can do to a car. :eek: )

But you can brake legally to spare a small critter, I think. :)