PDA

View Full Version : Grass eating Dog!! HELP

Lescoop77
06-20-2005, 03:52 PM
Ok...so Pandy this weekend was chowing down on grass out at the lake. I mean eating it like it was a treat. I finally got her away from it. ( this was Saturday). This morning when I let her out to go potty she came back to the door and was wimpering, and (this is gross I know) she seemed to be having trouble moving her bowels. I lifted her tail and there was a TON of grass! She couldn't go and so I had to help her by pulling out the grass. After doing so she went back out to the yard, finished her business and seems fine. Has been acting and eating normal. Should I be worried?

HELP!

dragondawg
06-20-2005, 08:12 PM
part Bovine? Congradulations!

I have the same situation with my Clover dog. She truely seems to enjoy eating grass especially the wild grasses in the forest. Yes things can come out sort of stringy, and wrapping it around a stick and gently pulling it out is always a possibility of occuring. This was more of a problem with my previous dog.

There are many theories on dogs and grass eating. Some will eat and regurgitate grass to ease stomach acid problems. Some may do it as a mechanism to get supplemental Vitamin-C, although dogs can usually make their own unlike us humans. With others as I suspect it is with mine, there is the taste and the sensation of a full stomach which makes it pleasurable.

Is there anything to worry about? Yes...your carpet! :D

Lescoop77
06-20-2005, 10:28 PM
WHEW! AT least I shouldn't worry right? She hasn't gone poo since, but that isn't too unusual. I'll see how tomorrow goes. I did a little research and it seems as if most dogs eat grass for whatever reason. Just the first time I saw it coming out the other end!! Poor thing. LOL Thanks for the uplift!

Scooby4
06-20-2005, 11:51 PM
It is completely normal for a dog to eat grass. It helps if they have a upset stomach. My dog Scooby eats grass by water instead of drinking the water! He knows what kind of grasses are good and which ones aren't. I think he likes the taste and the moisture in the taller grasses.
Just like corn... grass doesn't digest very well. So yes you will see it in their stool. Mine often gag it up if they aren't feeling well. Especially the cat. They even sell special grasses for cats to eat at pet stores.
My dog Shaggy once pooed up a gum wrapper!!! So grass isn't that bad!

Anita Cholaine
06-21-2005, 04:28 PM
Dont worry about dogs eating grass..... Anita always eats grass, and later she vomits....I was also worried the first time she did it....but then I realized there was no problem........

ramanth
06-22-2005, 12:35 PM
Sometimes Kia eats grass and then vomits it up, other times, she eats it and passes it later. She'll tend to have some stringy poop, but other than that, she's fine.

Smilla
06-24-2005, 01:07 PM
Lefty always eats grass when his tummy is upset (which is often). He'll either vomit or have a bowel movement shortly afterwards. I let him eat grass, as it seems to make him feel better.

Speaking of "stringy" stuff coming out of a dog's rear end, sometimes some of my hair gets wrapped up in there. That's usually when I have to help him out. :eek:

kelsey_zoe
06-25-2005, 09:17 PM
Our Kelsey likes to eat grass every now and then. She usually gets very agitated and wants us to take her outside, at which point she'll eat grass and then proceed to vomit it out. We think she does it when her stomach is feeling upset and it's her way of making herself vomit so she'll feel better.