PDA

View Full Version : Signs of Pregnancy and birth of kittens (please tell your story)

SammyCat
06-20-2005, 02:22 PM
Hey everyone!

I have a 10 month old her name is Sammy, and she's went out a few weeks ago and didn;t come home for a day. It's been about 3-4 weeks now, and her stomach appears a tid bit bigger, we suspect she may be pregnant.

I was wondeirng if you know about or those of you who have seen the process and progress (cat pregancy) could help, what are signs of pregnancy besides change in appearance? please help.

Also. Those who have had the experience to see their cat grow and give birth, please tell your story, what was it like and what was your part?

furrykidsmother
06-20-2005, 02:34 PM
When Gidget got pregnant I was kind of in shock I guess. It must have happened the night before we got Garfield fixed. Gidget kept getting rounder and rounder, hubby said she was pregnant, I said she was just eating to much and getting fat. He was right. One night, she was being extra cuddly, the next morning she gave birth to Fluffy first then a little bit later to Rusty. Hubby was there to help her through it. She was such a great mother and she wasn't even a year old then. She later tried to give birth a week later, stillborn. In she went for a c-section, but that is another story! She was and still is a great Mommy cat!

k9krazee
06-20-2005, 02:48 PM
My RB cat Lucy got pregnant and we didn't know it. She was getting fatter and fatter and that is when we realized it. The week before she gave birth she would spend most of her time in the closet. We decided that is where she wanted to give birth so we fixed up a box for her. Then one day she was really restless, she layed in her box and had 4 beautiful babies! She was a great mother but didn't want anyone near them so she moved them under my sister's bed. After a couple of weeks we finally moved her and the babies back into the box and she allowed us to pick up and play with them.

Good luck with the babies, please please please get her fixed once the kittens are weaned!

SammyCat
06-20-2005, 02:59 PM
both wonderful stories I glad it was a good experience, I hope your cat is fine after the c-section, i wanted to know when did you realize the cat had complications giving birth?

I am planning on spaying sammy real soon, but i was wondering, what happends if i dont spay her? does she continue giving birth every chance she gets? Is it not healthy for her?

Also, after the cat gives birth and she cares for her kittens, the kittens drink the milk form the mother. But does the kittens need anything else? Like food? or is milk all it needs? When can the kitten start eating cat food?

furrykidsmother
06-20-2005, 03:15 PM
Gidget did recover from her c-section and was a great Mom! She didn't give any signs after having Fluffy & Rusty that there was anything to be concerned about or to make us think there was another baby there, at least at the time. A day later there was a little spotting of blood, but very light and very little and then no more. A week later she was panting a bit, but it was a very hot day so I thought that was all it was. I picked her up to cuddle her and felt something scratch my arm. It was the claw of the stillborn cat. It had grown to big in that time for her to give it a normal birth and apparently had died so she needed to get medical treatment, hence the c-section. Due to some complications recently, we just had Gidget spayed, only it was a bit more complicated than that because her uterus had become infected. The mother cat will feed the babies for a few weeks as I recall then slowly we introduced ours to kitten food mixed with a special kitty formula to make it easier for them to eat. We only had the one round of kittens and it was 5 years ago, so my memory isn't the greatest. There are experts here who can give you the advice as to when to start feeding them cat food.

Laura's Babies
06-20-2005, 07:16 PM
I reckon I will be the first oldtimer to say SPAY her!! (after the babies are born)

Have you seen this?

http://www.itsmeowornever.org/homeless.html

Or this

http://st15.startlogic.com/~justonel/accidental.html

I BEG you to watch these. YOU have the power to stop this from happening to your cat's babies!

catmandu
06-20-2005, 07:45 PM
THE ONLY PREGNANT CAT,THAT I HAVE EVER SEEN,WAS SUZIE,AND THAT WAS A LONG,LONG TIME AGO,ABOUT40 YEARS AGO,IN FACT,WE THOGHT HOWARD,WAS A TOM,UNTIL SUZIE,GOT FAT,AND HAD 5 BABIES,IN THEBASEMENT.SUZIE,HAD TO BE PTS,AND MY MOTHER KEPT MISSY,THE WHITE WONDER.FOR 13 YEARS,OUR LONGEST LIVED CAT.

I REMENBER,ALL THE KITTENS,MISSY,THOMAS,JOHN,PRETTY KITTY,AND HOWARD 2.MY DEAR MOTHER,TOOK,THEM,TO A FRIEND,WHO RAN,A FINE PET SHOP,AND AS FAR,AS WE KNEW,THEY GOT GREAT FURR EVER HOMES.ALL THOSE YEARS AGO,AND I THINK,OF SUZIE,AND HER BABIES,STILL.

I REMEBER GEORGE,THE TABBY,GETTING TOO CLOSE,TO THE KITTENS,JUST CURIOUS.AND SUZIE,BEATING,THE HELL,OUT,OF HIM,MORE THAN ONCE.THAT WAS A PROTECTIVE MOMMA CAT,FOR SURE.