PDA

View Full Version : -please help- How old should a puppy be before...

Toby's my baby
06-19-2005, 02:16 PM
Me and my sis going running about 2 miles every night, we bring Maggie with, but we have to tie up Autumn. I really want Autumn to be able to come, but I think she might get too tired...

How old do you think a puppy should be before they can run about 2 miles?? We dont run fast, just jogging...

wolfsoul
06-19-2005, 02:22 PM
I don't think jogging with her would be a bad idea if she if you can tell that she is running at her own pace and not just doing it to keep up.

They say that small breeds shouldn't be run until atleast 10 months, large dogs one year to 18 months, and giant breeds 18 months to two years.

finn's mom
06-19-2005, 02:38 PM
There's some formula, too, and, I can't remember what it is....something like five minutes or something per month of age or something like that. that doesn't sound right at all, but, it's a formula similar to that.....I know my vet and several trainers told me not to let finn do too much until his hips were fully developed. I didn't really let him run or jump too much for a long time. How old is Autumn, now? Maybe just starting out with like an eighth or a quarter of mile with her, and, then conditioning her up to where you're at over a week or two or three...

Toby's my baby
06-19-2005, 02:43 PM
since Autumn was a stray, I am not sure how old she is. If I posted a picture of her, and maybe of her mouth (teeth) do you think you could my guess about her age?

finn's mom
06-19-2005, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Toby's my baby
since Autumn was a stray, I am not sure how old she is. If I posted a picture of her, and maybe of her mouth (teeth) do you think you could my guess about her age?

Shoot, not me! :D I have no clue about that kind of thing. I really would just start her off slowly and just condition her to jogging the full distance with you. Even if she's not panting and looking exhausted, her developing bones are what I would be concerned about. I could be wrong, though, that's just what I was told to watch with a new puppy. But, Finn was just over 7 weeks old when I got him. :) Good luck, though! I hope to have Finn run by a bike with me one day, he's still too unpredictable right now...

Lexi_Lover
06-19-2005, 02:48 PM
I can help you with age purposes for her teeth, its quite easy. Go ahead.

I think its perfectly fine for you to take her out as long as she hasn't easten right before you go, there can be some serious stomach issues!

Toby's my baby
06-19-2005, 02:51 PM
ok!! Thanks for the advice, I will post her pictures in a few minutes, I have to go take them, and upload them..... :)

Lexi_Lover
06-19-2005, 02:54 PM
No problem, maybe a picture of her paws and body comparison, it usually helps to determine for many as well! :p

Toby's my baby
06-19-2005, 03:13 PM
Ok, here are the photo's if you need better ones, I can take them...

Sorry if they are big, or small, I didnt resize them!!
Teeth:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v53/Tobysmybaby/DSC03537.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v53/Tobysmybaby/DSC03534.jpg

EDIT: EWW!! Someone needs there teeth brushed!...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v53/Tobysmybaby/DSC03542.jpg

Body, the body picture stinks, I can take a different one if you need...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v53/Tobysmybaby/DSC03259.jpg

if you cant really see her paws, they are about the same size as her, they kindof fit her so... yeah, do your thing! Thanks in advace!

Lexi_Lover
06-19-2005, 03:17 PM
Has she lost any teeth at all, it looks like her top front have been lost and have grown back? I just need to know that! :p

Her paws do fit her body, so she is going to be a relativly medium sized dog I'm guessing. ;)

Toby's my baby
06-19-2005, 03:20 PM
I am pretty sure she lost ther front teeth, also the one that is just barly poking threw, in the middle "teeth" picture, you can see it, I think she just lost that one.

finn's mom
06-19-2005, 03:24 PM
Grrr, look at those teeth! ;) She's definitely still in the teething stage, and, ha ha, that's about all I can say. ;) I knew there'd be folks on here who could help out. Maybe I'm just a worry wart, but, I still say, as a puppy, you should be careful not to put too much strain on her developing hips and bones. Not saying not to jog her at all, just to be careful not to take her for too long, too far, or too quickly. I wish I could remember the sites I'd gotten second and third opinions on that type of stuff when I first got Finn. I hate when I can't remember that stuff.

Lexi_Lover
06-19-2005, 03:26 PM
If she has lost her baby teeth she is around 1 and a half months of age, probably 2 since she is a bigger dog. So she is that age, since her teeth are breaking through. She would have all 28 deciduous teeth by the time they reach 1 ½ months of age.

Hope that helps. Since she is this young, I wouldn't take her for the full 2 miles, just to be safe as her bones are still developing.

finn's mom
06-19-2005, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Lexi_Lover
If she has lost her baby teeth she is around 1 and a half months of age

Are you serious? Holy crap, Finn didn't start losing his teeth til he was probably around three or four months old, closer to four!!! Maybe he was just a late bloomer!

Lexi_Lover
06-19-2005, 03:28 PM
Thats when Kaeko (australian shepherd) lost his teeth and Lexi lost hers a bit later, so it really depends on when the dog's timing is, just like kids!

Toby's my baby
06-19-2005, 03:29 PM
Ok, thanks! Finn's mom, you dont worry to much! I would rather be safe then sorry, especially with my babies!

finn's mom
06-19-2005, 03:29 PM
Thats when Kaeko, australian shepherd lost his teeth and Lexi lost hers a bit later, so it really depends on when the dog's timing is, just like kids!

wow, i didn't know they started losing teeth at less than eight weeks!!! :eek: I must be way behind the power curve! :rolleyes:

Lexi_Lover
06-19-2005, 03:30 PM
No problem, glad to be of service! :p

Toby's my baby
06-19-2005, 03:32 PM
I think she is about 4 months old. Maggie was about 4 months old when she started lossing her teeth. I guess it just depends on the dog.

Thanks again everybody!! :D

finn's mom
06-19-2005, 03:32 PM
Hey, you got Autumn in mid-May right? How much has she grown, cuz she doesn't look a lot bigger than she did when y'all got her, but, it could be the photo. So, she's older than one month, though, right? I swear, she looks like she's at least four months.....maybe I'm just talking out my butt. ;) I'm just really curious, now. What has your vet said about an estimated age?

finn's mom
06-19-2005, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Toby's my baby
I think she is about 4 months old.

Ha ha, we posted at the same time! ;)

Toby's my baby
06-19-2005, 03:34 PM
She hasnt grown that much, I think she looks almost exactly the same too. The vet said she is around 4 months, and that she isnt going to get much bigger.

Lexi_Lover
06-19-2005, 03:35 PM
It does depend on the dog, I was just going from past experience and from things that I have read, I think the average for some dogs would be around that time, but now that I think about it, she would start losing her teeth at 1-2 months or so then she would keep losing them, so 4 months does seem accurate. Proved me wrong! ;)

Toby's my baby
06-19-2005, 03:37 PM
:) yippy!! Just kidding! Thanks for helping out Lexi_Lover!

finn's mom
06-19-2005, 03:39 PM
Proved me wrong! ;)

That's not what I was trying to do, I hope it didn't seem that way. :( I was just wondering if maybe Finn was a really late bloomer, cuz I don't think he even started losing his til three or four months.....I just remember his little needles tearing our arms up for longer than a month. Ha ha, I'm glad they get out of that stage pretty quickly. ;)

Toby's My Baby: Autumn is beautiful, how much does she weigh? Do you know how tall she is? Glad you don't think I'm an overly worried person, I was just concerned with Finn when I got him, and, expressing that concern. :)

Lexi_Lover
06-19-2005, 03:43 PM
LOL! No, don't worry! I was saying it as a joke!

BitsyNaceyDog
06-19-2005, 03:44 PM
http://www.canismajor.com/dog/teeth.html

"Like humans, dogs have two sets of teeth in their lives. The 28 baby teeth erupt through the gums between the third and sixth weeks of age. Puppies do not have to grind much food, so they do not have molars. Puppy teeth begin to shed and be replaced by permanent adult teeth at about four months of age. Although there is some variation in breeds, most adult dogs have 42 teeth, with the molars coming last, at about six or seven months."

IRescue452
06-19-2005, 03:56 PM
She looks about 4 months to me. I would run that far with her yet as her bones and muscles are still developing. If you choose to take small runs with her, watch out for any limping or strange leg placements and also make sure she's got plenty of water.

shutterbug0303
06-19-2005, 04:06 PM
With large breed puppies (like our danes) you are not allowed to work them physically for long distances (like the jogging you are suggesting) until they reach 2 years of age. This is because their bones and joints are more susceptible to injury while they are growing. For Autumn, she looks like more of a mid-sized dog, so I think 2 years would be a little long for her to wait. I would think that at this time, if she is about 4 months old, then you can start walking her for about a 1/4 to 1/2 mile, then build up to jogging for that distance, then adding more distance while walking, then more jogging, etc. By the time she reaches around 8-10 months, she should be built up enough to be able to make it for the 2 miles while jogging. Just make sure you watch her for sign of tiredness, overheating, etc. Just make sure you have a lot of fun!! :D She as cute as a button!

k9krazee
06-19-2005, 08:26 PM
I was thinking around 4 months too, thats when I remember Jack losing those awful baby teeth and it looks like her big teeth have just recently started growing in.

Finn's mom, I did read that thing too about 5 minutes per month old, I don't remember where though.

I also saw that you really shouldn't jog or run dogs until around 6 months old, you can work her slowly up to the two miles!

finn's mom
06-19-2005, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by k9krazee
Finn's mom, I did read that thing too about 5 minutes per month old, I don't remember where though.

I know, I swear it was something like walk them for five minutes for every week of their age or something like that......or for every month or something. I dunno! Maybe someone in here will remember the formula. :) Or have a site that actually states that.

Toby's my baby
06-20-2005, 02:33 PM
Thanks everybody!! I will start walking her, up our drive way, its about 1/4, but I will watch her, to make sure she isnt limping or doesnt get tired. Thanks so much for your advice!

finn's mom
06-21-2005, 07:35 PM
And, I meant to say this the other day, but, problems in joint and bone growth won't necessarily be immediately visible if the dog is overworked. Know what I mean? Sure, if you see her limping, that's obviously a sign of something amiss. But, she may not limp, even if it's something that is detrimental to her development. Good grief, does that make sense? It's why I didn't post it earlier, cuz I didn't know how to word what I was trying to say. :)