PDA

View Full Version : baby bird

fleaflea17
06-19-2005, 01:02 PM
Yesterday a branch fell out of a tree containing a nest with 4 baby birds in it one of the birds died in the fall and one died last night even through my efforts of trying to save it. So i have 2 alive baby birds their eyes just opened today so they are still very young. I am feeding them baby bird food and have a heating pad underneath the little home i made for them. I was hoping someone could help me i'm not really sure how to care for these birds considering that i have never owned a bird let alone raised one as a baby. i think these baby birds are black birds but im not sure.

fleaflea17
06-19-2005, 01:58 PM
I really don't know what I am doing but i think im doing it right i jsut really need more information on these birds. ANY PLEASE PLEASE HELP. I want these birds to live.:confused: :( :confused:

jesebellea
06-21-2005, 03:36 PM
you are in the same boat as i am, and i am too lookin for information,
i did some searches on internet and got basic information, but nothing that i really needed, i guess if all else fails and this bird makes it through the night, i will take it to the vets tomorrow

QueenScoopalot
06-21-2005, 03:56 PM
I would get a basket that's deep enough so the babies don't fall out, and wire it to a branch that you can reach without getting hurt. Be sure it's sturdy and won't tip over. A margarine container would work also, punch holes in the bottom (for drainage in case of rain), and the sides near the top. Run a wire though the side holes, and fasten firmly in the tree they fell from. Against the trunk will work too so long as it's secure. Watch to be sure the adults return to care for the babies, which they should. Raising baby birds is very hard to do when you don't know the species, and diet needed to keep them healthy without killing them. Better that the parents continue to raise them before it's too late.;) If it's impossible to fasten a makeshift nest in the tree, use a tree that's close enough that the parents hear the babies. If all else fails, call a wildlife rehabilitator to take on the remaining babies. Good luck, and hope that they make it. ;)

jesebellea
06-21-2005, 04:40 PM
thankyou so much for your advice,
i just came in from goin out looking for the nest, i did find one, and i did see 3 babies in there, i am waiting for help to figure out how to put this one back in, my neighbour, said maybe they pushed this one out on purpose, i am wondering if this could be possible, he said they sometimes will kick out the weak one, now i am feeling, i am damned if i do, damned if i dont,

fleaflea17
06-21-2005, 07:30 PM
Well I have now been taking care of them for about 4 days they are still very much alive and healthy so i feel it is a lil too late to put them back outside for the mother to find. I have been feeding them baby bird food about once an hour. I know that they are blackbirds what i really want to know is if i can let them out into the wild when they are old enough or will they have to stay with me forever. Plus what do they eat once they are big enough for solid foods.