PDA

View Full Version : White GSD Mix in Trouble

DoggiesAreTheBest
02-11-2002, 08:45 AM
I was at the shelter yesteraday exercising the bog dogs when I cam across Snow, a white GSD mix. Gorgoeus! I was looking for his paperwork and found none in the book. That meant he had been taken out of adoptions. This freaked me out, needless to say. I talked with the receptionist and she said that Snow was 8 months old and was about to get put to sleep coz he nips!

I threw a temper tantrum and demanded to speak to the person that made such decisions and she was so nasty to me. I asked her if he had ever broken the skin and she said no. I convinced her to hold off and let me try and find a good home for him or a rescue group that would take him. I spent about an hour with him and we played and rolled around in the grass together and he was so sweet. Lots of kisses and not once nipped me. He nipped at my pants when I tried to put him in his kenel, but that was it.

He is a big dog and seems to be a rough player. But he is only 8 months old and I feel that wit the right owner, training, and love, his problem can be corrected.

I spent hours trying to contact GSD rescue groups and no one has returned my call. I don't know how to start looking for a no kill shelter.

HELP!

Logan
02-11-2002, 10:38 AM
Souraya, I hope you don't mind, but I will crosspost this message over at Just Dogs, an MSN, rescue oriented site. Lots of Shepherd lovers there who are very involved in rescue. Perhaps they will have some ideas. What a sad situation. :( I'm so glad you jumped in and spoke up, plus gave the fellow some fun time as well. :)

DoggiesAreTheBest
02-11-2002, 11:20 AM
Logan, no, I don't mind that you cross posted it. I am running out of ideas and am getting so frustrated. The groups that I have contacted haven't even returned my call. :mad: :mad:

aly
02-11-2002, 11:40 AM
I have a whole bunch of rescue links. Let me search through them and see if I can find a no-kill shelter near you.

How close are you to Bloomingdale, GA?

aly
02-11-2002, 11:48 AM
Here are 2 different lists of GA shelters and rescues. I was going to narrow them down for you but have no idea what cities are closest.

http://www.creatures.com/GA.html

http://www.petsville.com/petsville/townhall/organization_list.cfm

DoggiesAreTheBest
02-11-2002, 01:09 PM
I took my lunch break and went down to the shelter to talk to the director. He and I have been working together for almost 2 years now. I told him how appalled I was at the decision and explained to him that if Snow was put down I was going to make a great big issue about it. This shelter only euthanizes if the animal is extremely sick, terribly mean, or they are full. Well, none of the above conditions exist in Snow's case.

The director said that he was unaware of the decision and usually let the Kennel Supervisor (the mean lady) call the shots on issues like that. She was brought into the office and I explained that I was not there to get her in trouble but wanted to discuss with her and the director her decision and the factors that brought her to it. She went on and said that Snow had been there for a month. Blah Blah Blah. I have seen animals there for over 3 months. They were never put down. Then she said they couldn't afford to feed it, etc... So, I made a donation on the spot and told them that they had my number if they needed me and I would be more than happy to help out. I will be calling them daily to check up on the boy. In the mean time, I will visit him and try and find him a home or rescue group.

Keep the ideas coming.

Logan
02-11-2002, 02:05 PM
You know what, Souraya, I think I would like to have you defending me against any potential "bullies". What a great effort you have made on behalf of this dog. :)

AmberLee
02-11-2002, 02:19 PM
I'm so proud of you.

tatsxxx11
02-11-2002, 02:40 PM
Great job Souraya. My heart was pounding as I read your story. It's seems so antithetical. A woman working to shelter rescue dogs who doesn't seem to skip a beat when making a decision to end a young life, deserving of chance?????? It seems even when "these people" are given an "out" to reprieve the dog, they don't want to even entertain the idea. Sounds like a MAJOR control issue to me! And I haven't met an 8 month old "PUPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" yet that didn't "nip!" At our local shelter, each dog is worked with DAILY for 1/2 hr. by a trainer/handler to work on any issues her or she might have. Oh, I'm so furious! I hope your efforts are successful. Snow sounds like a very special dog! Thanks so much, sniff, sniff....

ramanth
02-11-2002, 02:44 PM
I'm appauled that that woman is the Kennel Supervisor!!!

Of course a puppy might nip. They don't know any better! She should of had the smarts to realize that.

And 'couldn't afford to feed it'?!?!?!??! Had I been the director listening to those excuses, I'd of fired the woman on the spot.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Good luck Souraya. I hope you have luck finding the little guy a home just like you did Chab.

Sudilar
02-11-2002, 06:31 PM
Good luck, Souraya. Thank you for standing up for that poor innocent. GSD puppies NIP! How could that lady not know that? When we rescued Shiloh, she was a nipper. We even considered taking her to a $200 behaviorist who writes the articles in Dog World. By the time I got through talking to her and was getting set up to make an appointment, Shiloh got out of her nipping stage herself. She has never nipped again! I am sending prayers out for a quick adoption. Good luck!!

mary_jsn
02-11-2002, 06:41 PM
I know this might be a problem but if you can't convince the kennel supervisor you might as well take snow home so that they don't put him to sleep and look for a new home for Snow. It's just an idea. Or you might as well keep being brave and defend him.

yorkster
02-12-2002, 12:11 AM
Good for you Souraya! You go girl! ;)

That is unbelievable to me that this MEAN woman would make a decision like that! She can not possibly have an animals best interest at heart. :mad:

Most, if not all, puppies nip. Doesn't this woman know that? She should know it if she is working in a shelter.

Please let us know what happens, and bless you for doing this.

Gio
02-12-2002, 09:11 AM
I'm no expert but the fact that a puppy nips a bit is no surprise to me. And I'm also sure that with a bit of training the problem can be solved.

I wonder why though that woman is doing this job she does not seem cut out for this at all. You should have that job instead Souraya!

I'll pray that a solution can be found soon.

DoggiesAreTheBest
02-12-2002, 10:17 AM
I have met puppies that nip. But I am certain that with the right training, Snow can be broken out of that habbit. He is only a puppy.

Still no calls back from the rescue groups. If push comes to show, I will take Snow into my home and try and find him a new family. I am going to see him during my lunch break and will call in a few minutes to make sure he is doing fine.

More on this later.

delidog
02-13-2002, 04:52 AM
try writing to dogs and catsforever.com....they might know someone in your area

DoggiesAreTheBest
02-13-2002, 07:18 AM
I may have found a home for Snow. I will know for sure tonight. One of Andrew's aviator buddy has been looking for a dog. Adam's life style will work well with Snow. He is a rough aviation officer who has enough money and enough time to train and work with Snow. He has to talk to his landlord and will get back to me tonight.

All fingers and paws crossed.

Logan
02-13-2002, 07:38 AM
We'll cross fingers and paws here too, Souraya! Good luck.....I do hope Snow can go live with Adam. I hope, I hope, I hope.....

You do good work and fast, girl!!!! :D

Gio
02-13-2002, 07:58 AM
Souraya you're incredible!!!

I will be keeping my fingers crossed for this pup.

ramanth
02-13-2002, 08:57 AM
Fingers, paws, and fins crossed here!

Golden Smiles
02-15-2002, 12:49 PM
:D :D First of all, HURRAY FOR YOU SOURAYA!!! You are Snow's angel!:mad: I cannot believe that woman was going to put a perfectly healthy PUPPY down for NO reason. DISGUSTING! My gosh, my Otis woul nip at your butt, or shirt, etc...if he didn't think you were paying attention to him, he meant no harm, he's 13 months! This little guy just needs someone to fall in love with him, and teach him some manners!! I'll say a prayer for you both! YOU GO GIRL!! Terri and gang

Logan
02-15-2002, 01:51 PM
Terri! Surely you jest. Our Otis would do nothing of the sort!!!!! LOL!! I have always loved Otis since he was a tiny baby. By the way, we miss you over at Golden Retriever.......come back. :D

RachelJ
02-16-2002, 10:48 AM
Oh, Souraya, I just read this topic. I am as outraged as you are that a shelter manager would even consider putting a puppy down for nipping. This sounds like such a beautiful dog with so much potential. He even sounds like Dog of the Day material! I certainly hope some group will step up to the plate to help you if your friend doesn't adopt.

Thank you for your efforts to help this dog, Souraya, You are indeed the advocate he needs.

DoggiesAreTheBest
02-18-2002, 07:13 AM
Well, Adam's landlord said he couldn't have a pet :( I have told several people that I know about Snow and they said they would check him out.

So, I am still looking for a home for Snow. The director of the shelter said that they would give him till Tuesday! I will call this morning when they open and see if he has gotten adopted. I can not find a No Kill Shelter around here. This is depressing.

Here's a picture of Snow.
http://kobie.petfinder.org/GA93.635438.jpg

Gio
02-18-2002, 10:18 AM
Souraya it breaks my heart, he is such a beautiful beautiful dog. I'm sure there is someone out there who would love to give him a home. :(

DoggiesAreTheBest
02-18-2002, 10:31 AM
I just called the shelter and they said he was still there. I can not find him a home :( I have tried contacting bestfriends.com and they have yet to reply.

I am so upset that I am having a hard time concentrating on my work.

Logan
02-18-2002, 11:20 AM
Souraya, none of the rescues ever got back with you? That just sickens me :( . I know there is only so much you can do for Snow. I just know that I am not happy at all with the Gainesville shelter for being so heartless. Are there problems financial?

I'm praying for a miracle for Snow.

Logan

Sudilar
02-18-2002, 03:28 PM
I am also praying for that miracle. Please, someone save this poor furbaby!!! He's in Georgia?

dragonchilde
02-18-2002, 04:42 PM
Referred here by ramanth. :)

Alright, I'm not going to make promises, or try to get anyone's hopes up, but I am a Georgia native with friends in Gainesville. I called my mother's best friend, and left a message on her machine to call me. She's an animal lover, so she may be able to help. I'll keep everyone updated as I know something. I hate to see a wonderful animal killed because of people's ignorance and stupidity, especially a young, beautiful animal like that who can be trained easily NOT to nip. A puppy can unlearn bad habits much more easily than an adult dog.

Pray for Snow, and I'll do what I can.

dragonchilde
02-18-2002, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by dragonchilde
Referred here by ramanth. :)

Alright, I'm not going to make promises, or try to get anyone's hopes up, but I am a Georgia native with friends in Gainesville. I called my mother's best friend, and left a message on her machine to call me. She's an animal lover, so she may be able to help. I'll keep everyone updated as I know something. I hate to see a wonderful animal killed because of people's ignorance and stupidity, especially a young, beautiful animal like that who can be trained easily NOT to nip. A puppy can unlearn bad habits much more easily than an adult dog.

Pray for Snow, and I'll do what I can.

Alright. I talked to my friend, and she doesn't know anyone off the top of her head, but the story broke her heart, and she'll do what she can to find someone. If someone could at least get me the name and contact information for the shelter, I can pass that along if she can find someone. Pray, people, pray. Either pray, or we can blow up their phone lines with calls telling them not to put him down. email me at [email protected], remove the SPAM from the email.

RachelJ
02-18-2002, 06:37 PM
This situation makes me heartsick. I wish there was something we could do to help.

Logan
02-18-2002, 06:54 PM
I'm pretty sure this is the same shelter that took such a strong stance on "Red", the Golden Retriever, a few weeks ago. Remember that I was ready to go down and get him out? Apparently, if it is the same shelter, there isn't much hope of an extension, so somebody has to get there and get him out quickly. I wish I could help, but I really can't this time.

Souraya, I hope you see this and respond quickly so she will know where to go. All I know is that you are in Gainesville, and the shelter Red was in was in Gainesville. Geez, I feel so helpless.

Logan

Pam
02-18-2002, 06:57 PM
Oh Souraya now that we have actually seen Snow it is so much more depressing! What a wonderful dog with so much potential! If every puppy that nipped was put down there would certainly be a dog shortage! (Bella would already be at the Rainbow Bridge!) I just find this all just so hard to believe. Keep on working and we'll all keep on praying!

Sudilar
02-19-2002, 12:16 AM
Praying for that miracle!

DoggiesAreTheBest
02-19-2002, 06:56 AM
I just contacted Heather. I bought Snow some time and will try to get him even more time. I can not foster him because Drake is a dominant dog as is Snow. Not to mention there is no way I can handle two dogs that are almost my size. If I can find someone to foster him, I will pay the adoption fee, and provide food.

I will let you know when Heather contacts me. I will call the shelter first thing when they open. Fingers, toes, and paws crossed!

Sudilar
02-19-2002, 07:02 AM
Thank goodness for that miracle!! :) Still praying for more.

Logan
02-19-2002, 07:46 AM
Me too!! (the praying, that is) Let us know, Souraya, when you can. :)

ramanth
02-19-2002, 08:37 AM
LOL! It would do me some good if I read past posts before responding. I didn't realized Heather posted. :o

*fingers and paws crossed!*

dragonchilde
02-20-2002, 10:35 AM
There's a lady in south georgia that's 50-something with no kids, who's been looking for a white german shepard for month that may be able to take him. I just called the shelter and left a message with the director, and I'll call back soon.

Everyone, pray hard for Snow...we may be able to pull this off.

RachelJ
02-20-2002, 11:23 AM
If a contribution to the shelter to help offset the care and feeding of Snow would buy some time, I would be glad to make one.

DoggiesAreTheBest
02-20-2002, 11:38 AM
Rachel, Thank you for your offer. Last weekend, I gave them a donation. I got off the phone with the director and he said he would keep Snow till Friday!

Dragonchilde just sent me the lady's e-mail and I have laready contacted her. I am just waiting on a reply.

If she committs to Snow, I am sure I can convince them to hold him till she can come up and get him. I will be going out of town on Friday afternoon and it would do wonders for me to know that this pup is in good hands!

We have been working hard to save this baby. Pray that our efforts are successful.

Sudilar
02-20-2002, 09:43 PM
Still praying.......

Gio
02-21-2002, 05:43 AM
Me too... very very hard.

DoggiesAreTheBest
02-21-2002, 06:17 AM
Heather put me in touch with a lady whose sister wants a white GSD. The sister is moving to GA but not till March 1st. So, we have to figure what to do with him till then. I can not take him because of Drake. He were not a dominant dog, like Chabby was, then he could stay.

Heather lives in Macon, 4 hours away from Valdosta, where the sister lives. I live in Gainesville, 2 hours away from Macon. In addition to me going out of town tomorrow afternoon, my schedule is so hectic with very little time to spare. I can drive to Atlanta, midpoint between Gainesville and Macon. The sister said she could drive to Macon to pick up Snow.

I went to the shelter yesterday and visited with Snow. We both had a great time. I got a few more pictures too.

I will keep you updated. Wish us luck

Gio
02-21-2002, 08:18 AM
I'm even more in love with him now. He looks so sweet. March 1 is not that far away, wouldn't the people at the shelter agree to give him a little extra time until the lady is able to pick him up. Perhaps with another donation? I'm more than willing to send some money across to save Snow. Surely the people at the shelter can't be so cruel, after all they should have the dog's interest at heart, you have found a possible owner and it's a matter of just a few more days.

DoggiesAreTheBest
02-21-2002, 08:23 AM
The shelter said that they can not keep him. I do not know why! They are not at their max capacity! This sux.

Let's see what I hear back from the lady and I will keep you posted.

Here's another one of Snow!

Logan
02-21-2002, 08:36 AM
I missed the other pictures you said you posted. I'll have to go back and look for them. But I see this one!!!! What a beauty he is. Something tells me that you're going to get this worked out for Snow.
Thank you, Heather, for taking the initiative when Souraya needed help. I think people like you guys will get more "jewels in your crown" for having such caring attitudes.
Keep us posted as you can.
Logan

PS. And Souraya, if a few more dollars will help to keep him safe until March 1, you just say the word and Private Message or email me with the address of the shelter. I'd be so glad to help out.

ramanth
02-21-2002, 10:23 AM
ohhhh!! I'm at the point of tears. Why can't this shelter see what's in the dog's best interest.

I'm praying so hard. Snow is gorgeous!!

dragonchilde
02-21-2002, 10:23 AM
Well, if its a matter of connecting, why don't we ferry him? You drive him to atlanta, I pick him up there, and then I drive back down to Macon, meet the sister, who can take him home? While I am completely unable to keep him, I most certainly could ferry him for a two hour drive. I live on the southernmost edge of Macon, which puts me right at 3 hours from Valdosta.

I'll do what I can to do this. I hate to see beautiful animals put down for stupid reasons, and I've always been especially fond of German Shepards.

DoggiesAreTheBest
02-21-2002, 10:46 AM
Heather, That is what I was thinking! I still haven't heard from her. I can do it this afternoon or towmorrow but I have a flight to catch at 5:30 PM which means I have to be at the airport by 2:30 PM.

I sent Joyce an e-mail but haven't heard back.

pdmguy
02-21-2002, 01:55 PM
I have a friend that may be able to keep Snow until March 1st but she doesn't know who to contact to arrange to keep him temporarily. Can someone help me pass the info along to her?
Thanks,
Curtis

dragonchilde
02-21-2002, 03:38 PM
I just IMed her, and she said she can do it tomorrow. We've already arranged where we're to meet. I'm going to call her when I leave for Atlanta.

Do you have AOL instant messenger, Soraya? I can IM you and we can arrange it there.

It'll obviously have to be done in the morning. I can leave here at 10:00 at the earliest, and it depends on where you want me to meet you how long it will take me to get there.

If you do, IM me at drgnchlde

Sudilar
02-21-2002, 03:57 PM
So glad to hear that things may be working out. I will still continue my prayers til Snow is safe at his new home. Thank you all for helping him. He is precious.

Karen
02-21-2002, 05:49 PM
I am going to Private Message Souraya - someone who isn't registered here, and couldn't cause she was at work, wants to help! Yay! Hope that they can hook up!

tatsxxx11
02-21-2002, 06:20 PM
What wonderful people you all are for helping beautiful Snow!! Fingers and paws crossed that this will all come together! Will say a special prayer for Snow tonight...

DoggiesAreTheBest
02-22-2002, 06:06 AM
Heather, Snow is already in Atlanta! Read your private messages and you will find my number. CALL ME

Quick update, Sandra from the Society of Humane friends called me yesterday and told me she may have someone to foster Snow, a friend of pdmguy (Curtis). She said she had also contacted the shelter and they said they were going to put him down if I didn't get him by 8:30AM on Friday. So, I called Pam, Snow's new foster mom, and arranged to meet her. I went to the shelter and made someone wait since it was after hours and got Snow out of there! It seems like Joyce is ready for him now.

Snow rode so well in the car and was such a happy boy. I will call Pam to see how his first night there was. It would have been his last night if it weren't for Pet Talk. I have rescued a few dogs but nothing like this one. I had such an easy time getting Harley a home and Chabby was in no danger of being put to sleep. Thank you, everyone. Your prayers and efforts for Snow have worked. He will soon be in a great home and is currently with a great foster mom.

Once again, thank you for everything.

Gio
02-22-2002, 06:41 AM
I'M SO HAPPY I COULD KISS EVERYONE HERE IN MY OFFICE...

... and if you knew some of the people who work here you would realise I'm extremely happy, since I'd rather kiss a snake LOL:D

I would have been devasted if something happened to Snow after all the effort Souraya and others put into rescuing him. And seeing the pictures would have made it even harder. But he's safe now!!!

To put it mildly though I do not think much of the people who run that shelter, in my opinion they could have been a bit more cooperative knowing how many people were trying to sort things out. The ultimatum of 8.30 was particularly cruel.

Thanks to everyone who put so much time and effort into this.

Sudilar
02-22-2002, 06:58 AM
HEROES, ONE AND ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am soooo happy for Snow!!!!! Hooray!!!! Thank you all for saving him!!!!!!!!! You've made my day!!!!!:D :D :D

AdoreMyDogs
02-22-2002, 06:58 AM
Oh this whole situation was breaking my heart. I was so upset at the shelter and I was so worried to read any new posts, for fear of very bad news. I REALLY started hating that shelter where that poor dog was.

I am SO happy that he now has his life and it's thanks to you AGAIN!!! You are truly wonderful and I am honored to know you.

Horray for Snow. Finally a happy ending for that lovely fella. Horray for Souraya for being a hero and saving that puppy from being needlessly killed!!!

Logan
02-22-2002, 07:17 AM
Good work, Souraya!!! :D I'm so happy for Snow, and for you! Now you can leave on your trip feeling very happy!!!! :)

Karen
02-22-2002, 07:36 AM
Yay!

So glad all the pieces fit together in time!

Yay!

ramanth
02-22-2002, 07:59 AM
HORRAH!!!!!!!

Souraya, Heather, and all the others involved... you guys are my heros. I can't wait to hear the news from Snow's new owner when he arrives. :D

RachelJ
02-22-2002, 08:46 AM
OMG OMG OMG

I could hardly look at this topic this morning for fear that the worst was to happen and now the best has transpired. I want to thank all of you involved. I know how hard a battle this was and I can't conceive the motives of the people at this shelter for not trying to cooperate to save the life of this magnificent animal.

I hope somehow we can receive followup on SNOW as he has wormed his way into my life and I am sure others feel the same way. All I could think of was this is an animal with so much potential and when Souraya posted the pictures it was so obvious that this guy was a glorious dog. I am so happy he is going to have a chance to show what a good dog he really is.

Again, THANK YOU SOURAYA and everybody else who got involved. Your are all marvelous, marvelous angels. And thank God for answered prayers.

Stenograsaurus
02-22-2002, 08:47 AM
I am soooo happy for snow now!!!!
Thank God all you Angels were there to save this dog!!!!!

I am so appalled at this "humane society" place.

dragonchilde
02-22-2002, 08:50 AM
Absolutely we will keep you guys updated on Snow. Joyce, the sister of Snow's new owner, is the one that's meeting me to pick him up, has promised she will stay in touch and give me regular progress updates.

Also give a great hurrah for Valdosta, GA Human society, who made it possible for me to contact Joyce. I was a member of the Valdosta Human society for several years, and have stayed on their mailing list, although I moved several hours north. I emailed their list, and that's how I found Joyce. So thanks to everyone, and applause to Souraya, without whom Snow would have died lonely, abandoned, and seriously wronged.

DoggiesAreTheBest
02-22-2002, 09:24 AM
I am so happy that I am in tears. I just spoke with Joyce and she is so excited about getting Snow as is her sister who is now the proud owner and gaurdian of Snow. It's like everyone has fallen in love with Snow "site unseen" so to speak.

Pam and I spoke this morning and she said that Snow rode well to her house and had a good night. He will be getting a bath today and his Rabies shot. Tomorrow, Pam will take Snow to Heather who will be meeting Joyce. Joyce is the last stop before he reaches his forever home. I miss him already. I had gotten really attached to him. But I amglad that he is safe and in good hands.

I am so mad at the shelter. I have been volunteering there for quite a while and am appaulled by this whole incident. But it is not going to stop me from going there and trying to make a difference.

Everyone, thanks again. You all made it possible.

ramanth
02-22-2002, 11:46 AM
Yeah! Yeah!

I'm just so happy I was able to get ahold of Heather and that she knew someone....

FATE!! :)

We love you Snow.

mruffruff
02-22-2002, 02:37 PM
Wonderful news!:D :D :D

Just shows what teamwork can do--if you have great people on the team.

Congratulations to all and especially to Snow.

dragonchilde
02-23-2002, 09:57 AM
I'm leaving in five minutes to go pick up snow. :)

Sudilar
02-23-2002, 12:21 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO

dragonchilde
02-23-2002, 02:48 PM
I'm home, and Snow is on the last leg of his trip to Valdosta.

He's a wonderful boy, and a beautiful dog. Thanks, Souraya, for making this possible, and saving this sweet boy's life. I took a few pictures, although it'll take me a bit to get them developed.

:D:D

tatsxxx11
02-23-2002, 03:46 PM
I was SO worried and fearful of reading the thread today. Souraya, you worked a real miracle here; and as well, everyone else who made the effort to save this beautiful boy! You are ALL heroes!!! I'm so happy I could burst!!!!!!! What a thought.....Snow is happy and frolicking in his NEW foster home!!! Yippppppppeee!!!

kobieeli
02-23-2002, 05:18 PM
HIP HIP, HOORAY!

You all are great...:D

sammi
02-23-2002, 06:23 PM
You guys are great !!!! You two are the best- so thank you for saving the white dog. You did a great job Souraya and Heather.;) :p ;)

DoggiesAreTheBest
02-25-2002, 07:38 AM
I got an e-mail from Joyce yesterday and one today. I will cut and paste parts of it so that you can all follow up on how Snow is doing!

He is a beautiful Boy and my sister will be so thrilled to have him. He is very playful. Although we have one small problem..........he is a boy and my dog is a girl. even though he is neutered and she spayed he still wants to do the manly thing to her. she doesn't like it so she growls at him. i have to keep them separate, so he will be living in the garage for a few weeks. just at night. he loves to play, he has not stopped to sit or lay down since we came home. About 2 1/2 hrs now.

Husband and I took him for a 2 mile walk on Sunday and he was really good. Didn't try to chase the squirrels or other dogs. likes to play with the cats.

Logan
02-25-2002, 08:21 AM
Oh, isn't that wonderful news? I think Snow will be just fine, Souraya, thanks to all your hard work on his behalf. :)

dragonchilde
03-08-2002, 07:32 PM
I just got an email from Snow's new owner's sister:

"Snow is at his new home today. He has a wonderful back yard all fenced to run around in. He is also getting a new name. Snow sounds too much like NO and thinks we are calling him when we say no to something. So his new name is Smokey Joe. Sounds a little like Snow, so maybe it will be OK for him.
Oh by the way, you should have seen my sisters face when she saw him!! It was love at first sight.....perfect match!!! And Smokey Joe really took to her and her boyfriend. He loves people.
Just thought I'd let you know so you could stop worrying about him.........he is in the best home he could ever hope for.....

Thanks to you and Souraya.......and me!

Joyce"

Logan
03-08-2002, 09:03 PM
Joyce!!!!! I have tears streaming down my face. Thank you, thank you, thank you and Souraya too, for doing such a wonderful thing, and I am so happy for Smokey Joe (love the name....he'd just be "Joe" to me). You sister will be delighted.

Please ask her to hug him tightly for us, and then, you and Souraya hug yourselves for being angels to Joe. He must be a terribly special boy for so many to have cared. And we know how special you all are. :)

You made my night with that post!!!! :D

tatsxxx11
03-09-2002, 05:02 PM
Many, many thanks to all who gave beautiful Joe his loving, forever home! (Complete with fenced in yard!!:)) Yipeeeeeeee!!!

RachelJ
03-10-2002, 04:56 PM
There are so many touching stories on Pet Talk, but every once in a while it's seems I take to one so strongly.

Snow will always be Snow to me and although I never met him, I just love him. I just have a feeling that this one is going to distinguish himself and we will hear more on what a wonderful dog he turned out to be. A pox on that shelter manager or whoever it was who would not give him a chance.

Souraya, Heather, Joyce, and everybody who helped and prayed for Snow....a big THANK YOU.

jennifert
03-28-2002, 09:17 AM
Is there any "new" news about Snow aka Smokey Joe? How is he doing? It's been about 3 weeks since he went to his forever home and I'm curious as to how things are going for everyone!

dragonchilde
03-28-2002, 04:15 PM
Actually, yes! I just talked to Joyce about five minutes ago.

Smokey Joe has taken to his new owner's husbane Steve. The two of them go everywhere together. Smokey will sit by the gate and wait for Steve to come home from work every day. Smokey wakes him up every day at the same time for work, so Steve doesn't even have to set his alarm anymore. Steve's taught Smokey a few commands, and they are all happy and well-behaved.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Logan
03-28-2002, 04:29 PM
That is the BEST news!!!!! :D

Sudilar
03-28-2002, 10:05 PM
Fantastic news! Glad to hear all is going so well.

captain
04-23-2002, 06:36 PM
I have just read the WHOLE saga with Smokey Joe and would like to congratulate you all on making the effort to rescue this obviously beautiful boy.
It amazes me that people work in shelters who obviously have no real love for the animals there, and do not even take the time to try to help them.
Souraya, Heather and Joyce - congratulations on saving one of our beautiful creatures!

delidog
04-23-2002, 09:39 PM
i wanted to respond and thank all involved in the rescue of smokey.....but i also noticed that "captain" has quite the photo in their name posting.....is there another spotty person amongst us???????:) ;)

RachelJ
04-23-2002, 09:48 PM
It is ironic that you would post on this topic today, kicking it back into action. Our Dog of the Day today reminded me of Snow and I thought about him. I wonder if his people will update Souraya on him.

delidog
04-23-2002, 09:59 PM
i knew that the dotd reminded me of someone.....good call out!!!!

Gio
04-24-2002, 03:44 AM
Our Dog of the Day today reminded me of Snow and I thought about him

That's the first thought that crossed my mind too! :D

lovemymaltese
04-26-2002, 11:18 AM
There are many no kill shelters that post on the internet. You may want to check out some sites and see if they could help you. And bless you for taking care of that puppy. He is young enough to stop the nipping once he finds a good/loving home.