PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Solutions to the Pit Bull Ban

Giselle
06-18-2005, 12:41 AM
And you'll actually like this one. I was watching the news and Mayor Gavin Newsom was suggested these alternative solutions to banning Pit Bulls:

- Something about allowing the state to pass ordinace towards specific breeds of dogs (sort of like BSL)

- Spay/Neuter all Pit Bulls

- Restrict backyard breeding

-Educate children on how living and playing with dogs

----------------------------------------------------------------

Despite the call for 100% spaying and neutering and possible BSL, I have to say I'm beyond happy with the alternatives! This is the first time I've ever seen the words "backyard breeding" on the media, and I'm even happier that the word "restrict" precedes that particular phrase. I am so pleased with Newsom and his open-mindedness. Kudos to you Mayor!!! I had/have total faith that a pit bull ban would not pass in San Francisco. Furthermore, they are considering seeking criminal charges against the mother, which I am in complete agreeance with. Her actions were well-meant, but misguided and I was disappointed that she would place her dogs above her own child. There will always be controversy surrounding this case, but I'm happy that the mayor has maintained his ability to learn about the circumstances before he passed a full-fledged ban. Though I cannot and never will agree with possible BSL, I'm glad that the mayor has chosen to take a line of attack that we dog owners have always scrutinized over- backyard breeding!

wolfsoul
06-18-2005, 12:49 AM
Making BYBing illegal would be the best thing to ever happen to dogs. I wish it would happen now and everywhere.