PDA

View Full Version : A Walk Across America

elizabethann
06-17-2005, 07:53 PM
Has anybody read this book? It's by Peter Jenkins. It's an old book (published in 1979). It's about a young man in his early 20's that decides he and his dog (Alaskan-Malamute) are going to walk across America. I just started reading it tonight (already at page 56) and it's a great read. As a warning, his dog eventually dies. It's mostly a book about his travels but he talks about his dog and how his dog is his best friend. It brought tears to my eyes reading about his relationship with his dog.

Just thought I'd pass the title along. It may be a good Summer beach book.

:)

finn's mom
06-17-2005, 08:35 PM
Oh, my gosh! I love Peter Jenkins' books! there's another one, too.....that he wrote and I think it was when he was travelling with his wife....I was just thinking about trying to find these books somewhere just the other day! I love Cooper! A Walk Across America is an awesome book! Thank you for posting that!

elizabethann
06-17-2005, 08:55 PM
Do you know what the other book is called? I would love to read that one after I read A Walk Across America.

P.S. I love Cooper too.

finn's mom
06-17-2005, 08:57 PM
I don't remember, I have it on the tip of my tongue, though....give me a couple minutes, i'll find out! :)

finn's mom
06-17-2005, 08:59 PM
Ok, it's called The Walk West: A Walk Across America 2

but, he's written a ton more! OH MY GOSH! I know what I want for my birthday now! :D Here's a link....

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index%3Dstripbooks%2526field-author%3Dpeter%2520jenkins%2526results-process%3Ddefault%2526dispatch%3Dsearch/ref%3Dpd%5Fsl%5Fov%5Ftops-1%5Fstripbooks%5F8150558%5F1/103-1176804-3749419

Some of them are not at all about geography, though, I wonder if it's a different Peter Jenkins. I mean, there are several right away that are obviously the same person. :) I can't wait to get all of them, I loved the two that I read.

elizabethann
06-17-2005, 09:05 PM
Oh thank you! It got good ratings on Amazon.com. I'll have to get that one as soon as I'm done with this one!

Thanks again!

finn's mom
06-17-2005, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by elizabethann
Oh thank you! It got good ratings on Amazon.com. I'll have to get that one as soon as I'm done with this one!

Thanks again!

Sure thing, I am still smiling that you even brought it up! I need to see if my favorite pal, Ben (back in Texas) can find some of them at the half price book store there. I wish those stores were here, I miss going!

Cookiebaker
06-17-2005, 09:42 PM
Yes, I read those books. In facts, when I was growing up, I was very close with his brother, Scott's family. I highly recommend the books!