PDA

View Full Version : Josie licks her paws a lot..

slleipnir
06-17-2005, 02:12 PM
Jo has been licking her paw A LOT lately. She started to limp, so I looked and she has licked part of the pad of, and there is a big red mark..:( I guess that can mean she is sore? I mean to make her lick in the first place...I'm about to take her to the vet. I hope she doesnt have arthritis..my baby is getting too OLD!! :(

Kfamr
06-17-2005, 02:37 PM
A lot of times dogs lick their paws because of allergies, too.

flamepony12
06-17-2005, 03:47 PM
Zeus licks his paws because he has a yeast infection.. this probably isn't the case with Jo, though. Did she step on something?

aly
06-17-2005, 03:54 PM
Reece and Lolly are major paw lickers due to allergies. Lolly even has done it to the point of chewing part of her pad off before. The fatty acids and allergy meds I've been giving have helped stop most of the paw licking now, thankfully.

Bigyummydog
06-17-2005, 04:15 PM
MAXIMUS cut a good size chunk from one of his pads. It made him limp and he licked it alot. Our vet gave him antibiotics and pain pills. I don't think they can lick their pads off. She may have cut her pad. I'd get it check out.

KYS
06-17-2005, 04:33 PM
Keep us updated on what the vet
tells you.
Hope Josie paw get better soon.
Rocky is a big paw licker when he
gets his pad irritated.
Sometimes Sheba will lick out of boredom.

cocker_luva
06-17-2005, 05:20 PM
it might be a bug bite

lizbud
06-17-2005, 07:24 PM
I'd be glad to hear what the Vet thinks it is. Poor Josie. Let
us know what the Dr says.

cyber-sibes
06-17-2005, 07:32 PM
Star gets alot of hot spots, including on her paws and her licking just makes things worse. She cut her pad once too and licked alot. The vet sometimes givers her a cortizone shot for the hotspots and that seems to help. And it could be a sting - Sherman got stung on his paw pad a week ago and limped alot and licked his paw for several days. He's fine now.
I hope the vet can help you identify the problem. Poor Josie, it's not much fun to limp around!

Vette
06-17-2005, 10:15 PM
Kirby licks his paws after a bath or after i trim the fuz off his paws and sometimes he will lick has paws to the point of where i have to distrack him with something,, like a treat or go outside for a walk. that always does the trick.

i hope its nothing but a little bug bite that your fuzhead has.
i wish you both the best of luck

sabies
06-18-2005, 10:07 AM
I would just suggest a vet visit. Since she has licked it so much she will probably need something to help it heal. It doesn't sound like arthritis to me. I wish dogs didn't get old either, my Sadie is 13 :( and I worry all the time about her health.

Dixieland Dancer
06-19-2005, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by cyber-sibes
Star gets alot of hot spots, including on her paws and her licking just makes things worse.

This is a definite sign of some allergy... be it food related or environmental. Dusty suffers from environmental allergies (ragweed and molds) and he licks his paws and legs raw into major hot spots. He also breaks out in tiny red bumps on his belly. I have to rinse him several times a week in clear water and he takes allergy meds and that seems to help him tremendously.

Hope Josie is feeling better soon.