PDA

View Full Version : XM Radio

joycenalex
06-17-2005, 05:18 AM
does any one have one? there is a special going on now for them, i'm looking at getting two, one for my car and one for my walks/around the hose/yardwork. any advice? thanks in advance

dukedogsmom
06-17-2005, 06:08 AM
I don't have one yet but I plan on getting it. They've got that portable player now, too. I don't want to get one until I can get my credit cards payed off and then get a new car. I can't see putting it in the station wagon I'm driving. It needs new speakers and I don't want to spend a bunch of money on it.

neko1
06-17-2005, 06:09 AM
I would also love to get one....just need some money:o

Cookiebaker
06-17-2005, 06:28 AM
:o What's an XM radio??? :o

joycenalex
06-17-2005, 06:48 AM
XM radio, and sirius radio are commericially owned, but commercial free radio format programing. confusing right? i buy the equipment, pay monthly fees and can listen to more then 100 plus channels of no commercial radios, i can hear 24/7 opera, 24/7 talk radio, all stripes, 24/7 disco(!) and so on. the advantage is that i can flip from station/format to station. it's seems to be similar to cable tv in diversity of programing.

christa
06-17-2005, 07:03 AM
XM was already installed in my car when I bought it . . . I just need to get it activated. I've heard good things though! ;)

lv4dogs
06-17-2005, 08:18 AM
I've got xm avail. on my car stereo, I just have not activated it.
I've heard good things about it but I just see spending the money on it when I have a ton of cds & lots of good radio stations in my area.

PJ's Mom
06-17-2005, 09:12 AM
I'd love to get one. Are they expensive?

RobiLee
06-17-2005, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Cookiebaker
:o What's an XM radio??? :o

Don't feel bad! I'm nver up to date on the new stuff either...lol.

It sounds very cool but I can't stand the thought of having another monthly bill. It seems like all the new stuff comes with a new monthly bill! Its not something you just buy you have to pay for a service. I get so tired of that.

DJFyrewolf36
06-17-2005, 11:55 AM
I'm seriously thinking about investing in XM. The new stereo I'm getting for my car has an XM reciever built in so I figure why not? Besides they are really good in areas (Like mine :p) where even the biggest radio stations get cruddy reception. For once, I'd like to listen to the radio without static noise.

Plus they have lots of Techno/Dance stations *drool* LOL

The station selection alone in my opinion compinsates for the bill plus you can go just about anywhere and still get the station you want. It's great for long trips! No more fishing for a good station in every city.

lizbud
06-17-2005, 11:56 AM
Is XM radio the same as satellite radio? My daughter has that
in her car and just loves it.

joycenalex
06-18-2005, 08:38 PM
xm is one of the satillite radios, sirus is another one. since i'm "thrifty", i'm looking carefully. ;)

cubby31682
06-19-2005, 08:26 AM
I have XM it came with my car. I can't give it up. I love it way to much. :D

RICHARD
06-19-2005, 10:21 AM
a few things about SR that they DON'T tell you.

The signal from SR doesn't go thru buildings, tunnels or around
obstacles. Like a global positioning systems (which uses three satellites to give you a position) SR has "line of sight" reception, which means that anything in the way of your antenna and the satellite breaks up your signal.

You need to put a home unit near a window, or run an antenna outside...

They are currently putting 'repeaters' in big cities to increase the reception in areas where the reception is poor....a repeater is just an amplifier that boosts the signal in areas where buildings
get in the way.......

To keep you subscription going you can pay a flat yearly rate or go monthly....by credit card only...

The units are going down in price.......but the subscriptions are 13 dollars a month...

---------------------------------------
Think of it as 'cable tv' for your radio.....

I have an old TV that I put out on my patio during the summer....

In order to watch cable I had to run a line off of the TV in the house out the window.....otherwise, it's channels 2-13 only.
:rolleyes: