PDA

View Full Version : Legal status of pets

momcat
06-16-2005, 05:34 PM
Hi, everyone! I spent today at a mandatory, job related training seminar that was held at the New Jersey Law Center. While there, a few of us got a copy of the newsletter. There's a very interesting article about the legal status of pets. In many states, pets are considered property just like a piece of furniture. If a pet dies due to intentional or negligent actions and the owner goes to court, the most they can hope to recover is the original cost of the pet. Tennessee was the first state to adopt a law that allows an owner who lost a pet this way to recover the original cost of the pet, vet bills and loss of companionship. While New Jersey doesn't have such a law on the books (yet?), a judge has agreed to hear such a case being brought by an animal law attorney. I'll be tracking the case to see how it goes but no hearing date has been docketed. The article can be seen in the Legal Eagle, volume 9 number 2 winter 2005 page 3. The website is
www.njsbf.org
This may be a good way for all of us to speak up on behalf of our pets and all animals in all areas. We're the only voice they've got!

catmandu
06-16-2005, 08:40 PM
THE DIFFERENCE,BTWEEN PETS,AND PROPETY IS SIMPLE.

YOU CAN ALWAYS BUY,A TV,STREO,OR FURNITURE,ON EBAY,OR AT A SHOPPING MALL.

BUT,I HAVE NEVER SEEN,A STORE,WHERE I ACN BUY A JJJ3,ON EARTH,AND HE,IS WORTH,MORE TO ME,THAN ANY THING,THAT I OWN.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Picture459.jpg

jennifert9
06-16-2005, 08:44 PM
I will never ever understand my pets are considered property....it's insane...they are FAMILY! I dare anyone to try to take my Duncan or treat him like property...will be a real short day for them...! I

Momcat, I still live in Jersey and will make my voice heard for sure in support of this!

NoahsMommy
06-16-2005, 08:49 PM
I agree, Gary...it'd be impossible to replace our pets...

But its nice to see they are realizing they have more than just monetary value.

Jayna78
06-17-2005, 01:29 PM
How cats and dogs (and other pets) can be considered property is beyond me. I wish that in addition to cases like these, animal abuse would be treated more like abuse to humans is - more serious punishments, etc., for those who harm animals - more on the level with the punishments for those intentionally inflicting harm to humans.

I consider our cats to be members of the family - our furry kids. I wish more people would think that way. Cats can't be "owned" anyway! I'm not even sure dogs can, but they're more likely to be "owned by" than a cat. If anything, we humans are owned by our cats!