PDA

View Full Version : Average weight for kitten

lv4dogs
06-16-2005, 02:04 PM
I'm not sure if it is a goof up on the vets part or what, but Tiki was brought to the vets almost 2 weeks ago for his first check up.
The vet estimated him to be 11 weeks old & he weighed 1.7lbs. I think she may have said the wrong eight by accident as that does seem awful small but Tiki looks great for his age. The vet did not say anything about him being small for his age, he's not underweight. hmmm

So anyways I was wondering if anyone has any idea an average 12ish week old kitten should weigh?

kittycats_delight
06-16-2005, 02:12 PM
I just checked the girls vet records and their weight at 12 weeks was: Lilith was 1.9 kgs and Vixen was also 1.9 kgs. I think maybe your vet may have meant Tiki was 1.7 kgs not 1.7 lbs.

catnapper
06-16-2005, 02:40 PM
I took Angel eyes the other day - she's about 10/11 weeks and weighed 1.5 pounds. At 14 weeks, Flutter weighed exactly 2 pounds.

Both are a little on the thin side because they are picky eaters... unless I put out wet food -- then they eat til their bellies fill up like a balloon! :D Both are completely healthy and active.

I wouldn't sweat size too much. At the same age, Abby was TINY, and her sibling Harry was HUGE. I'd say he was almost twice her size. As long as he's proportionate, I wouldn't worry.

Jayna78
06-16-2005, 03:01 PM
Yes, and although I heard that about 1 pound per month when they're kittens is "normal", I'm sure that, like human babies, every kitten has a different growth rate, etc. :)

Laura's Babies
06-16-2005, 03:07 PM
My vet told me 1 pound per month when Chester was a baby. At about 12 weeks they are VERY active and work off their calorie intake in no time, that is why it is important to keep them on kitten food during that active time in their life.

thelmalu99
06-16-2005, 03:09 PM
Yup, I agree with catnapper and Jayna. Weight varies from kitten to kitten. As long as the kitten is eating properly and bodily functions are all normal, I wouldn't worry.

lv4dogs
06-16-2005, 03:20 PM
Thanks everyone!

catmandu
06-16-2005, 09:17 PM
SOME KITTENS,LIKE SOME CATS,ARE JUST SMALL,AND I WOULD NOT WORRY,IF YOU VET,WAS NOT CONCERNED.I AM SURE,THAT SOME,OF MY SATS,WERE LIKE THAT,AS THEY ARE BARELY,BIGGER,THAN KITTENS,NOW.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Picture459.jpg

krazyaboutkatz
06-17-2005, 01:18 AM
My future kitten Starr is 12 weeks old now and he's only 1 3/4lbs. I also thought that this seemed very little for a male kitten at this age. He eats alot and his foster mom said he's growing longer so this may be the reason. He and a few of the kittens may also have coccidia which they're now being treated for. Would this also cause him not to gain weight?