PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas what this culd be?

catnapper
06-16-2005, 08:53 AM
My boss/business partner has a senior Siamese kitty - he's about 17 years old. Murcie is in good health - just got a clean bill of health a week ago from the vet.

In the past few days he's been acting odd at night. She says that he wakes up at 3 or 4 in the morning meowing like he's in pain. He has NOT gone to bed with her at night at all this week, and started yowling the past few nights. She's tried everything she knows to calm him down. She's wondering if its the heat (its been HOT and she has the A.C. on but turns it up to 80 at night to conserve electricity) She wonders if its his food - got a new case from the vet last week but it sat in the trunk of a hot car for a while she stopped off somewhere. I think it might be the food (and how dumb of her to leave cans in a black car on a HOT HOT HOT day)

Any other ideas?

Laura's Babies
06-16-2005, 09:04 AM
I would run right out and get new food and if that is not what is wrong, I would have him back at the vet ASAP! Is he drinking water, using his box, eating, ect? Things can go bad real quick with these babies and a senior one even quicker.

QueenScoopalot
06-16-2005, 09:10 AM
It could be feline senility setting in. Also called "Feline Cognitive Syndrome" or basically kitty alzheimers. My RB kitty Inky started roaming all day & night in his golden years howling very loudly. :eek: He was pretty much completely deaf, and going blind, so he'd get upset when he couldn't locate me in the house, and roam and scream till I was with him. He lived a long life until he went to the RB. Here's a link to FCS ;) http://petplace.netscape.com/articles/artShow.asp?artID=3995

catmandu
06-16-2005, 09:11 AM
SOMETIMES OLDER CATS,DOM ACT ODDLY,I HAVE NOTICED,THAT MICHAEL,PRIMCESS,AND IN THE OLD DAYS MR SCRAPPY,WOULD RUN,SOMETIMES IN CIRCLES.
SADLY THAT MEEZER,MAY BE HAVING A TOUCH,OF DEMENTIA,THE SAME,AS SOME OLDER PEOPLE,HAVE ALZHEIMERS.
AND UNLESS THEC CANS,WERE ON THE CAR ROOF,FOR OVER AN HOUR,I DONT THINK,THATS THE CAUSE,AS IT WOULDTAKE AN ALUMINUM CAN,A FAIR TIME,TO HAET,TO A DEGREE,WHERE IT WOULD AFFECT,THE CONTENTS,OF THE CAN.

HOPING,THAT HE RETURNS,TO HIS OLD SELF,SOON.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos1053.jpg

moosmom
06-16-2005, 09:24 AM
What Jan said! How are his eyes?? Older cats can lose their hearing and their sight. I wonder if confining him in one room at night with a radio softly playing might help.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-16-2005, 10:02 AM
I agree with what Jan said also. Tubby started doing that too but I don't remember how old he was when he started. Although, CJ does it sometimes too and he's just a young 'un yet so.....

I say as long as he's eating, drinking and using the litter box as normal that it's not much to worry about. Just keep an eye on him and if any of these three change - to the vet ASAP.

On a side note. I took Tubby in to the vet for his 6 month checkup at the very beginning of November last year. The vet said his levels were a little elevated but it was nothing to worry about - in other words he gave him a clean bill of health. Well, less than two weeks later he was at death's door and a little more than a month later he was gone. Things can happen extremely quickly with cats, so if she is really worried, another trip to the vet couldn't hurt.

kuhio98
06-16-2005, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by QueenScoopalot
It could be feline senility setting in. Also called "Feline Cognitive Syndrome" or basically kitty alzheimers. My RB kitty Inky started roaming all day & night in his golden years howling very loudly. :eek: He was pretty much completely deaf, and going blind, so he'd get upset when he couldn't locate me in the house, and roam and scream till I was with him. He lived a long life until he went to the RB. Here's a link to FCS ;) http://petplace.netscape.com/articles/artShow.asp?artID=3995

In her 16th and 17th year, Kuhio did the same thing. She would yowl for seemingly no reason. Her hearing and eyesight were still good so we would just call out to her to reassure her and let her know where we were. We callled it kitty alzheimers too.

catnapper
06-16-2005, 10:49 AM
Oh poor Murcie! I sure hope its not that - my friend will be DEVASTATED to hear something like that. Perhaps I'll direct her back to the vet and have her tell the vet his symptoms and have the vet deliver the bad news of this possibility.

He is her baby - been through everything with her. She got him from 6 weeks old. Only good thing is that meezers are known to live to ripe old ages, so he possibly does have a few more years left in him.

Shady
06-16-2005, 11:07 AM
I have a five year old cat Spike that does this. He has the loudest gawd awful screech when he wants to. For the first few 100 times he did it I would get up and go find him see if I could see what was wrong and each and every time there was nothing remarkable. A few times he was hovering over a toy or a bug etc. I've concluded he's lonely or something :) or feels it's attention time.

So could be something, could be nothing. I dont think a housecat who is used to certain foods would touch something that is spoiled.

I would consult the vet if it keeps up, you never know it could be something physical or for nothing more than attention.

QueenScoopalot
06-16-2005, 11:16 AM
I'm not 100% certain, but I think there's medication they can be given to help if he has kitty alzheimers. It should be mentioned to the vet anyway. ;)