PDA

View Full Version : Lucy scared us to death tonight!!

LorraineO
06-15-2005, 09:39 PM
Lucy went out for her last nightl pee before bed and somehow,, she got out of her collar and took off into the night!! We live right beside a main highway and shes black and tan!!! Hubby and our son went out after her with no luck,, I looked out from the front door and glanced up the street and sure enuff,, she was @ 5 houses up the road!! they went after her and hubby managed to get her to come to him JUST before she was to go out onto the main road!! I was SCARED TO DEATH!!!!!!! My poor heart....... I would have died if anything happened ot her!!! If she didnt get hit,, someone could have taken her!!!:( :eek: I am just happy we got her in time....

chocolatepuppy
06-15-2005, 09:51 PM
OMG Lorraine! Thank goodness Lucy is ok! That must have been terrifying! :eek:

Bigyummydog
06-15-2005, 09:57 PM
LUCY ! What are you thinking! Worrying Mommy all to death. So, glad you're ok. There's no place like home, remember that!

Are you ok Lorraine? Maximus did that to me once. He ran right in front of a van. But, he must have been so scared. He just kept running. Thank goodness for marking on our walks. We left the door open. He found his way home about 8 am the next morning. Needless to say, he never did it again. I was a total wreck for days after. So, I know how you must have felt.
No broken bones, just alot of nasty bruises.

gemini9961
06-15-2005, 10:13 PM
I know how you feel. I let Sadie out one day and she took off. I got in the car and went looking for her. However, I was a nervous wreck because I don't live too far from the main road either and I was scared she would go in the road. I yell and scream at my 2 if they go near the road. Now I know why my parents got so mad at me if I got too close to the road, they were only worried about me getting hit just as I am worried about my dogs getting hit. I am so happy to see Lucy got home okay and hopefully she has learned her lesson and won't stray from home again.

senorita02
06-15-2005, 10:14 PM
Oh thank goodness Lucy is home safe now!!!!! How terrifying!

manda_moo87
06-15-2005, 11:18 PM
Yikes... what a scare! I'm so glad Lucy is back home, safe where she belongs!

Oggyflute
06-16-2005, 01:15 AM
That's a fright you don't need. Glad she's OK.

Pam
06-16-2005, 05:57 AM
That happened to me on a walk once with Ripley. Somehow he turned around at the end of his leash and slipped right out of his collar. I was frantic because of course that meant he had no tags on him either :eek: and he had been turned into the shelter as a stray so I feel pretty sure that's how he wound up there in the first place. The little stinker was paying no attention to me when I called him and was quite a bit ahead of me as I was struggling to get him and quickly losing. I was getting extremely out of breath and it was dusk and I knew that if I didn't soon get him he would be invisible in the night.

A complete stranger passed by in a white SUV and pulled over. He asked me what Ripley's name was and when I told him he began calling him. Well amazingly when Ripley heard his name being called by a complete stranger he came running to me (his mama :rolleyes: :) ). I learned one thing that night. Every time he leaves the security of my fenced in yard he is on a harness!! No pulling that trick on me again. My heart couldn't stand it. :p

cubby31682
06-16-2005, 09:55 AM
Oh my. That is a scary thing. Gracie got lose from Corey once. Thank God I wasn't with him. I would have been freaking out. When he told me about it I could feel my heart drop, and start racing. Thank God Lucy is home safe and sound.

finn's mom
06-16-2005, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Pam
Every time he leaves the security of my fenced in yard he is on a harness!! No pulling that trick on me again. My heart couldn't stand it. :p

No joke, I think I'd be buying a harness for sure. Man, I don't know how you guys did that, I'd have had a heart attack for sure! I'm glad Lucy and Ripley are both safe! :)

akaspaddero
06-16-2005, 10:43 AM
I am so happy all went well. I totally relate to your feelings.

Jake and Zoe managed to escape from are yard once. Middle of the night after windy rain storm, our fence broke. I went back out to get them and they were gone. I ended up going thru our neighbors yard to the next street over. All I kept thinking and hoping was they did not go to the major street by our house. Well I called a few times, and Jake comes running towards me with Zoe pulling up the rear. What a relief..I just about cried and said a huge thank you to God...

LorraineO
06-16-2005, 10:54 AM
thanks all for your replies,,, Hubby told me at lunch today that she actually went out onto the highway but luckily,, it was late and there was a lull in the traffic and so the moment or two she was out on it,, there wernt any cars around...... I think I need a drink to calm my nerves now!! I had no idea,,,, Hubby said he knew I would be upset and thats why he didnt say anything about it last night!!! :eek: :eek:

lizbud
06-16-2005, 11:55 AM
Have a strong cup of tea & go hugs Lucy.:)

Wow, what a fright she gave you. Smokey once backed out of his
collar & bolted into the street while I was walking him. He just
stood in the middle of the street.:eek: He was frightened by my
trying to get him closer to a fire hydrant than he was comfortable
being. I jumped forward to grab him & hit my shin on the bolt
sticking out of the hydrant. I felt the pain immediately, but since
Smokey backed away from me, I just started a acting silly & ran
across the street & up to my porch. Smokey followed me up to the door & we went inside, with blood streaming down my leg & into my shoe. :eek: I still have the scar from that misadventure.

After that, Smokey was never walked without a choke or prong
collar and I never try to get him to go anywhere he does'nt want to go.

LorraineO
06-16-2005, 12:31 PM
lucy has one of those collars that when she pulls with a leash or line,, it will get tighter,,, itheres a small section like a choke but its cloth..... hard to explain,,,,, but anyways,, my son was dragging her in by the collar as she wasnt coming to him,, she was busy barking at something,, and when he tried to bring her in,, she wiggled out of the collar in a second! He wont be pulling her by hand anytime soon thats for sure!!!!!

finn's mom
06-16-2005, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by LorraineO
lucy has one of those collars that when she pulls with a leash or line,, it will get tighter,,, itheres a small section like a choke but its cloth..... hard to explain,,,,, but anyways,, my son was dragging her in by the collar as she wasnt coming to him,, she was busy barking at something,, and when he tried to bring her in,, she wiggled out of the collar in a second! He wont be pulling her by hand anytime soon thats for sure!!!!!

A martingale collar? The instructor in Finn's puppy class showed us those.....yeah, I'd think your son learned his lesson about dragging her by the collar! :eek: Boys are so crazy. ;)

Suki Wingy
06-16-2005, 12:37 PM
Wow, that is SCARY! NiƱo is a little escape artist so I know how you felt exactly. whew, I am so glad she is ok!

LorraineO
06-16-2005, 12:44 PM
its VERY close to what Lucy has,, yes :) Hers is from the DABBADOO collection,,, ever heard of it??

Animal lady
06-16-2005, 07:59 PM
I'm glad lucy is home and okay.
Well my dog butchy did that to me once. Well we lived in north caralina and he ran out we also lived right next to a BUSY ROAD so then this TRUCK is coming and butchy is running into the road were trying to catch him before he gets in the road but the truck hit his back left leg!! Well he was ok but he couldn't jump and he kept on limping for about a week he scared me to DEATH!!! But he is okay now.

MsMini
06-16-2005, 09:00 PM
I am glad Lucy made it home safe. Just enough to give you a scare .

jennifert9
06-16-2005, 09:11 PM
Boy am I glad there was a happy ending!! Duncan is black and tan too so I understand where you are coming from...so hard to see when it's dark...
Duncan is too scared to run away from me,(unless he's chasing an animal) so I usually don't have to worry anymore but I still do!!
I'm glad it all turned out OK! :D

KYS
06-16-2005, 09:12 PM
What a frightening experience.
I am so glad your story had a happy ending
and Lucy is safe.

sandragonfly
06-16-2005, 09:39 PM
*whew!* god gracious! don't do that again, lucy!!

glad she got home okaaay. hope you'll not have that fright again.