PDA

View Full Version : Batman Begins

K9soul
06-15-2005, 06:38 PM
David was off work today so we went and saw it at 4 (today is opening day). The word that immediately comes to mind after seeing it is: Wow :eek:

I was not disappointed. VERY intense and dark. But VERY well done. My heart was just hammering through a good portion of it. Christian Bale makes a very good batman/Bruce Wayne, and a very attractive one too :D. If any of you other Batman fans go and see it you will have to post what you thought!

----

Edit to add:

I was reading some reviews of it (I never read reviews before I see movies because I don't want to read spoilers), and this review REALLy said it well. I will only quote a part that has no spoiler info:

To make another "Batman" movie might seem cynical, but not to anyone who sees "Batman Begins." To see "Batman Begins" is to think maybe this is the way to go: Take an artistically spent franchise, and instead of adding to the series and compromising with the mistakes of lesser filmmakers, pretend as if those other movies never existed. Start at the beginning of the saga, and tell the story again. This time do it right.

"Batman Begins" does it right, and it's the first "Batman" movie to get it right since Tim Burton's "Batman," 16 years ago. Like the first "Batman" it has a dark spirit and an intellectually viable leading man -- Christian Bale, in this case. Unlike the first "Batman," it's not a masterpiece of set design, and it doesn't have a flamboyant villain. Those elements were virtues of the original film, but they became pernicious as a prototype, when subsequent "Batman" movies tried to top the first in terms of both visuals and flouncing, raving villainy.

"Batman Begins" goes in another direction, telling the story as neither a comic book in motion nor as a wild fable, but as the true story of a man who has a series of odd, transformative experiences.

That whole review is here but it does put in some hints here and there of what you'll see :D Full Review (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/06/14/DDGQ4D73TK1.DTL&type=movies)

Chica
06-15-2005, 08:17 PM
THANKS FOR THE UPDATE ON THE BATMAN MOVIE. :) I WILL GO SEE IT NOW. ;)

anna_66
06-15-2005, 08:23 PM
I've went to the movies and seen all the batman movie (love it on the big screen!) and am looking forward to seeing this one too! Thanks for the review!

NoahsMommy
06-15-2005, 09:08 PM
My step-dad really wants to see this on Sunday for Father's Day. :)

Thanks for the good review!

K9soul
06-15-2005, 09:20 PM
Anna you will have to post or PM me what you think about it! Whenever I see a good movie I always want to talk about it afterwards but David just proclaims it a good or bad movie and is ready to move on and not analyze it :p. (He did proclaim this one to be "good"). When I was younger and saw movies with my mom we always had discussion about it afterwards sharing our thoughts and favorite scenes and that, I miss that! Kelly I hope your stepdad enjoys it :)

K9soul
07-05-2005, 01:51 PM
Since we have two other movie threads going, I may as well bump this back up. I'm eager to see if anyone else saw this and what they thought!

crsvstang
07-05-2005, 01:58 PM
My brother went and see this movie and said it was really good.

Rob and I want to see it but i don't know when that will be. I love Batman so I am looking forward to seeing it!

finn's mom
07-05-2005, 02:10 PM
I haven't seen it, but, my niece and I want to. We tried to go once, but, we were too late to get in. Oh, well, we'll go soon enough. I only really loved the first one, and, I liked the second one all right. But, I was really looking forward to this one. I'm not a fan of Katie Holmes, though, she always seems like Katie Holmes aka Joey from Dawson's Creek. Does she do all right in this movie? I mean, I think she's definitely eye candy, but, I just have never thought she was a good actress.

K9soul
07-05-2005, 02:14 PM
She doesn't play a huge role in it, at least not as far as tons of dialogue, but I think that she does well in her role. I seriously had not a single complaint about a single actor or part of this movie. I've gone to see it twice at the theater now. I just completely and thoroughly got into and enjoyed this movie, better than any Batman movie previously including the first one. The guy who plays the psych/Scarecrow villain is so deliciously creepy but not in a flamboyant way the past villains are. It takes a bit before it even becomes clear who the villains are, and of course the entire movie really focuses on Batman himself and how he came to be.

finn's mom
07-05-2005, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by K9soul
She doesn't play a huge role in it, at least not as far as tons of dialogue, but I think that she does well in her role. I seriously had not a single complaint about a single actor or part of this movie. I've gone to see it twice at the theater now. I just completely and thoroughly got into and enjoyed this movie, better than any Batman movie previously including the first one. The guy who plays the psych/Scarecrow villain is so deliciously creepy but not in a flamboyant way the past villains are. It takes a bit before it even becomes clear who the villains are, and of course the entire movie really focuses on Batman himself and how he came to be.

Oh, cool. Holmes was the only reason I wasn't foaming at the mouth to see this. ;) Now, I can foam. I'll be seeing it before the week's out, and, I'll post my thoughts in here. What's the soundtrack like?

K9soul
07-05-2005, 02:20 PM
I loved it in the theater, very dark and heart pounding music. I actually have been meaning to pick it up. I love good soundtracks.

K9soul
07-05-2005, 02:27 PM
By the way, if you haven't seen the trailer you can can see it here: http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/batman_begins/trailer/

finn's mom
07-05-2005, 02:27 PM
I loved it in the theater, very dark and heart pounding music. I actually have been meaning to pick it up. I love good soundtracks.

Music alone can bring tears to my eyes and make my heart feel like it's going to pound out of my chest. I remember distinctly at the beginning of "Hero", it literally made me cry. If you'll notice when I started the thread about movies, all three movies I watched yesterday, I mentioned the music. Music moves me just about more than anything else. Music and nature. But, yeah, I love good soundtracks and scores.

finn's mom
07-05-2005, 02:30 PM
By the way, if you haven't seen the trailer you can can see it here: http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/batman_begins/trailer/

I had seen it in already in the theaters, but, thanks for the link. It just makes me even more excited, now! :)

K9soul
07-05-2005, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by finn's mom
Music alone can bring tears to my eyes and make my heart feel like it's going to pound out of my chest. I remember distinctly at the beginning of "Hero", it literally made me cry. If you'll notice when I started the thread about movies, all three movies I watched yesterday, I mentioned the music. Music moves me just about more than anything else. Music and nature. But, yeah, I love good soundtracks and scores.

That describes me too, absolutely perfectly. You know the movie, Dragonheart, was perhaps a bit silly and subpar, but the soundtrack to it gave it a permanent place in my heart :). The music to Batman gives me goosebumps, it's powerful, it builds up the scenes perfectly. Each time I saw it I wanted to stop by the store on the way home and get the CD to listen to it more, but I wasn't the one driving LOL.

finn's mom
07-05-2005, 02:39 PM
That describes me too, absolutely perfectly. You know the movie, Dragonheart, was perhaps a bit silly and subpar, but the soundtrack to it gave it a permanent place in my heart :).

I've never seen dragonheart, except for bits and pieces. i'll have to check it out, now, though, if for nothing but the music. :) I thought the music from Braveheart was amazing. Same with Dances With Wolves, Legends of the fall.....they're not my favorite movies, but, the soundtracks always get to me. And, I loved the score from Titanic, as well. It's haunting.

PJ's Mom
07-05-2005, 02:42 PM
I saw Batman last week and found it to be quite slow. It was dark, but of course, it was supposed to be. ;)

Without Liam Neeson, Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman, I don't think I could've made it through the whole movie. My attention wandered several times and probably the only reason I sat through it was because we were in hubby's truck and I would've had to have walked home. :D

MariaM
07-05-2005, 02:43 PM
I'm in love with soundtracks too!

I haven't seen this movie but my friend just told me that she watched it and liked it alot, ""it was way better than the other superhero movies I've seen (Daredevil, Superman, Spiderman 1 and 2, and X Men 1 and 2)""

K9soul
07-05-2005, 02:53 PM
That's actually the first negative review I've seen on it. I was glued to it on the edge of my seat through nearly the entire thing myself :p. Some thought it was slow to get into the action because it was telling the story and showing how and why he became Batman, but I think it was very appropriate to the movie, and I personally enjoyed having story and background, good script and dialogue with my action movie for once. It allowed me to become much more personally involved in the character of Batman, it makes me excited and hopeful to see more with this cast and director.

I think it's definitely a "go and see at the theater" movie, I can't imagine it having the same effect without the big screen and theater sound.

I enjoyed both Spiderman movies as well. They are such different stories I don't know if I can compare them with this Batman, but on an emotional level I was probably much more moved by Batman.

PJ's Mom
07-05-2005, 02:59 PM
I enjoyed both Spiderman movies as well. They are such different stories I don't know if I can compare them with this Batman, but on an emotional level I was probably much more moved by Batman.

Then the movie did it's job. :) It was much more emotional than Spiderman. However, I think the Spidey flicks were more fun than Batman...and again, that's probably the way it was intended. I've never really been a fan of comic book movies. I usually stay away from them all together, but I couldn't miss seeing Batman after hearing so many good things about it. I don't regret going, but I wouldn't go again. :)

I had to wonder how Bale was able to breathe in the Batman mask. It covered his whole nose! :eek: I think he made an excellent Batman even if his lips disappeared in the mask. :D

K9soul
07-05-2005, 03:03 PM
LOL I enjoyed watching him too, I find him quite attractive :D.

I used to not care as much about comic book movies but I find myself more and more drawn to them because they are refreshing and something different from all the things that are so overdone nowdays. They are a playground for imaginative stories and amazing special effects. :)

Man I better get back to work now, or I'll never get done! I love talking about movies :p

PJ's Mom
07-05-2005, 04:21 PM
Have you seen the Incredible Hulk? What did you think of it? I thought they made him too cute. :D I don't know if I would be scared of him, even though he was hugs. ;)

Oops...hijacking your topic. Sorry. :o

finn's mom
07-07-2005, 11:53 PM
Oh, wow! I thought it was excellent! I just got back a bit ago, and, really did enjoy it. I recommend it, it's a movie theater movie. Don't wait to rent it if you plan to see it at all. Christian Bale is great, and, really...everyone is good in it. I love Gary Oldman, he's fantastic!

cocker_luva
07-08-2005, 12:31 AM
i loved it too. ive seen all the batman movies atleast 5 times (except the newest one). ;)

finn's mom
07-08-2005, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by cocker_luva
i loved it too. ive seen all the batman movies atleast 5 times (except the newest one). ;)

I have only liked the first two enough to watch more than once. But, I love the first one. The second was awesome, too. I didn't really like the others.

K9soul
07-08-2005, 08:07 AM
I'm so glad you enjoyed it! :D For some reason, I always feel somewhat responsible if I highly recommend a movie to someone and they end up not liking it :p. Did you enjoy the music too? I thought they just did an amazing job telling his story, building everything up, showing how it all came to be. Everything was rougher but more realistic in this one it seemed to me. I loved all the acting! Did Katie Holmes bug you any?

I think it would be ok on TV but not have near the effect as in the theater with the theater sound and big screen.

Oh PJ's Mom, I saw the Incredible Hulk once, and it was ok but they really did it differently than I expected. I thought it would be darker and more frightening, you are right it was hard to get a feeling of fright from him, although I suppose if you met him in person it certainly wouldn't be :p

finn's mom
07-08-2005, 08:17 AM
I'm so glad you enjoyed it! :D For some reason, I always feel somewhat responsible if I highly recommend a movie to someone and they end up not liking it :p. Did you enjoy the music too? I thought they just did an amazing job telling his story, building everything up, showing how it all came to be. Everything was rougher but more realistic in this one it seemed to me. I loved all the acting! Did Katie Holmes bug you any?

Yeah, I loved it. And, don't worry, I was planning to see it, anyway, just you made me want to see it NOW. ;) I did like the music, but, I don't remember it. It wasn't overpowering. I would have missed it if it wasn't there, of course, but, it's not what I paid attention to. The story line was great, and, I thought the acting was right on, too. Katie did bug me at the end, when she and Bruce are standing on the rubble. She just always does that corner thing with her smile, and, it just makes me want to punch her in the head. I turned to my niece, and, said "oh, look it's joey" (from dawson's creek). But, she had such a small part, it wasn't that much of a problem.

ramanth
07-08-2005, 10:33 AM
I've seen it and loved it!

I really like that you got to know his parents in this film vs. the past films. :)

finn's mom
07-08-2005, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by ramanth
I've seen it and loved it!

I really like that you got to know his parents in this film vs. the past films. :)

Yeah, his dad was so sweet with him. I love what he (and, then, later, Alfred) said about falling down. I teared up several times in the movie theater. But, I'm a big ol' fat sissy. ;)

K9soul
07-08-2005, 08:13 PM
The characters seemed so much more touching and real, they had more depth and personality, even the villains. It did have a higher emotional intensity than the previous ones I think, and I think that is why I liked it so much. I guess I like a strong emotional connection to a movie. :)

Chica
07-08-2005, 09:55 PM
Hi,

I hear that Batman Begins is good. :) I can't wait to see that movie! ;) :) :cool: