PDA

View Full Version : Another avenue to take re: adoption?

tricollie4me
06-15-2005, 02:35 PM
As you might recall, we have fully embraced the plan to adopt a second dog. We do have small children along with our exuberant collie and a mellow, tolerant cat. After the collie/hound mix named Petey we'd been interested in adopting found himself a new home in Chicago, we've been watching Petfinder with renewed passion.

Please let me know your thoughts on this young male -- he's an ACD/blue heeler/mountain cur mix:

http://www.petfinder.org/fotos/WI116/WI116.4619868-1-x.jpg

He's beautiful, but I'm thinking that his mix isn't the most compatible with my family/pets/no fenced yard. Am I right, or is this boy worth meeting? Might he be gentle/learn to stay in our yard? The rescue described him as being happy, loveable, likes other dogs, likes his crate, etc. Though I will absolutely ask the rescue whether they think this dog is okay with cats and kids, I'd like to know if anyone has experience with a mix like this.

Thanks for any insight!

cyber-sibes
06-15-2005, 03:41 PM
Of course every dog has its own personality, but you may want to check out each breed's profile - this is one for blue-heeler/australian cattle dogs--
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/australiancattledog.htm

There were alot of those around when we were looking for a second dog, but after reading up I decided it wouldn't be the best choice for us.

ParNone
06-15-2005, 04:48 PM
Hi tricollie4me!

Collies can kind of spoil you to that staying in the yard thing. Have you considered a smoothie? They have one at Houston Collie Rescue right now that sounds wonderful.

http://www.houstoncollierescue.org/dogs/beau3.jpg

Beau - Male, Purebred Smooth Collie, S & W, D.O.B. 11/25/04, Neutered, all Vet work has been completed. Litter mate to Bandit and Brittany and same daddy as Junior. All the pups are super sweet, great personalities and ready for adoption. HCR adoption fee for dogs less than 1 yr is $250. Hi! My name is Beau, My personality is perfect for a family with children or anyone who wants someone to love and cuddle up with. I am still a sensitive pup but am learning very quickly from all of this socialization I've been getting. I love to run and play in the yard with all the dogs and kids and when I come inside I am a good boy. I love to curl up next to your feet or lay on the floor by the couch/bed. I don't jump up on furniture at the most, I will put my front two paws on something. If you pick me up on to your bed, I love to sleep quietly by your feet. I like going in my kennel if you are going to be away for a while. I love all toys, stuffed and tennis balls. I've seen cats and get along A-okay with them too. I'm pretty much potty trained, but I'm still learning how to give my foster mom a signal on how to go outside. I would love to go to a good home that can take care of me and wants a really loveable dog. I am getting a personality more and more every day. If you are looking for companionship or an addition to your family, I'd be perfect for you!!! Wags and sweet kisses, Beau

tricollie4me
06-15-2005, 06:41 PM
He's gorgeous! I wish the rescue wasn't so far from me (I'm in southcentral WI)...but it does give me the thought to pursue the collie rescue we have in our tri-state area...hmmm...

It's been fun and soooo enlightening to try and make the best match with a second dog -- choosing Bijou was easy as pie...this second dog thing requires much greater consideration because the new dog really needs to be compatible with our full crew: Bijou, our cat, our kids and our house/lifestyle, and vice versa.

Thanks for the info on Beau :)

IRescue452
06-16-2005, 08:28 AM
I think you should see if this shelter will let you take the dog home fo a few hours or a day. I hate to see good dogs not get adopted because of one of their breed. This is not my favorite shelters. They will probably try to get you to foster which isn't a horrible idea.