PDA

View Full Version : Would U Adopt DeClaw Cat When Have Cats w/Claws Now?

cruisetime
06-15-2005, 10:59 AM
The kill shelter by me has a spayed female declawed cat - I couldn't bring her into a house with two cats with claws could I??? Debbie

furrykidsmother
06-15-2005, 11:20 AM
I think if the option is to leave her in a kill shelter or take a chance living with 2 other cats that have claws I would think she would prefer to take her chances with the other cats. Poor baby! I think she would probably be very happy to come home with you.

slick
06-15-2005, 11:23 AM
Why not???? I have one declawed kitty (done by previous owner) and one with claws. They don't like each other very much so they stay out of each other's way. There's been no problems at all. Just remember to think about the purrsonalities of your present cats and will they tolerate another kitty? At the same time check out the shelter kitty's background. Then again, I guess you know all this already. :o

Good luck and I'm sure she will be very grateful to find a furrever home.

catnapper
06-15-2005, 11:26 AM
Many many people have both declawed and clawed kitties. Its a misconception that declawed and clawed cats cant live side by side. If you can't get your mind off the poor little girl, by all means, go get her! :D

Grace
06-15-2005, 11:35 AM
I've also had clawed and declawed at the same time. Never caused any problems.

Go for it!!

kuhio98
06-15-2005, 11:39 AM
Sure you can! Miss Cinnabuns was already declawed when she adopted my brother. Since then, 4 others have joined the family. None of them are declawed. Cinnabuns is the leader of them all. They get along just fine. She had some issues with Molly (the only other female) but they have agreed to ignore each other.

Maresche
06-15-2005, 11:41 AM
My Terra is declawed and Misao and Hana aren't. We've never had issues with any of them regarding claws or injuries resulting from them.

Go for it.

catmandu
06-15-2005, 11:45 AM
THERE WOULD BE NO TROUBLE,WHAT SO EVER.JJJ3,SAM,DIANE,BOBOAND RAGNAR,ARE ALL DECLAWED.NOT BY ME,THATS THE WAY,THEU CAME.AND POUNCETTE,TOO.THE OTHER FOUND CATS,INCLUDING CHARCOAL,ALL HAVE THIER CLAWS,AND YOU HAVE SEEN,IN THE PHOTOS,THAT I PASTE,HOW WELL,THEY ALL GET ALONG TOGETHER.PLEASSE ADOPT,THAT CAT,YOU WILL FEEL A THOUSAND PERCENT BETTER.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Diane2.jpg

NoahsMommy
06-15-2005, 11:48 AM
Declawed cats are very good at using their back (MUCH MORE POWERFUL) feet and teeth to defend themselves.

So, safety isn't necessarily a concern here.

kittycats_delight
06-15-2005, 11:58 AM
I'd say save the kitty. She has a much better chance with 2 clawed cats than with the executioner. I am positive she will be fine. She may not have claws but I bet she can hold her own all the same.

mumpkees
06-15-2005, 12:03 PM
The kill shelter by me has a spayed female declawed cat - I couldn't bring her into a house with two cats with claws could I??? Debbie

Debbie:

We have had rescued declawed cats living with our clawed cats for 30 plus years. I am assuming that you are concerned about one of your clawed cats possibly injuring the declawed kitty because she has no claws to defend herself. We have never had that problem as when cats have a "disagreement" they really don't use their front claws in combat. There will be much postering, hissing and/or spitting and in a knock down drag out (which you will most definitely intervene in before it gets started) they would be using teeth and back claws to kick. With proper introductions there shouldn't be any problems.

We had a tortie who was declawed that we rescued from outside after a terrible Houston storm. We were sure that she had just gotten frightened and somehow bolted out a window or door during the height of the storm. We advertised, went door to door, posted signs everywhere and in vet offices and at all local shelters but no one ever claimed her so she became a member of our family. She obviously had been an only cat as she was not social at all at first and if anyone came within whacking distance she'd pop them with a mean right hook. She had powerful paws and you could hear the WHACK resounding whenever someone got too close. We had no worries that she couldn't take care of herself.

She befriended our leuk positive, Bitchiwa, who was a reformed feral and the two of them had a love-hate relationship for over 15 years until Bitchiwa lost her two year battle with cancer. Soon after, Pomp-A-Looms left us at over 19 yrs of age, from a broken heart.

But in answer to your question, I'd not hesitate at all to adopt a fully vetted declawed cat. I am guessing that she was an owner turn in because of "issues" (like refusing to use the litter box because she acquaints the pain in her feet with the litter box) which is what most of our declawed family members have been. We have found that with patience, love, possibly changing the materials used in the litter box that all of ours have become loving members of our family.

Because this little girl probably was a turn in because of issues she more than likely will not find a home unless there is someone like you who is willing to work with her and give her a chance.

SpiritCat (/mari) and the Mooseheart Mumpkees

moosmom
06-15-2005, 12:27 PM
Like Slick said, "Why not??"

My oldest cat, Mollie Rose is declawed and lives with 4 other clawed cats.

Go for it!! That little girl needs a home!

orangemm
06-15-2005, 02:28 PM
I've had both clawed and de-clawed live together with no problems. They worked their differences out by hissing!

jenluckenbach
06-15-2005, 03:05 PM
I couldn't bring her into a house with two cats with claws could I??? Of course you can!

sirrahbed
06-15-2005, 03:22 PM
I agree with the others and would certainly adopt her.

I have an assortment here - 2 with all claws, 2 with no front claws and even one with NO claws at all - and everyone lives happily, wrestling and fighting at times but no problems at all.

I hope you do rescue her:D

catlady1945
06-15-2005, 04:28 PM
I have had an assortment of clawed & de-clawed, & my daughter currently has one clawed and one de-clawed. Everything works out just fine.

Uabassoon
06-15-2005, 04:30 PM
I don't see it as a problem. My last roommate had a declawed cat, and she had NO problem letting Tibby and Corkscrew know that she was the boss!

rg_girlca
06-15-2005, 04:34 PM
I don't see a problem with it either.

Just remember when you bring your girl home, do a slow intro to the others.:D

GO GET HER!!!!!!! :)

animal_rescue
06-15-2005, 05:59 PM
It should be ok, we have 2 with no claws and 1 with claws along with a foster kitten with claws.