PDA

View Full Version : I Need Serious Help!!!

CalliesMom
06-14-2005, 10:12 PM
I am currently medicating some kitties for URIs before they go on to foster homes. There is one kitty that I CANNOT medicate under any circumstances. I tried today with another person and he was not having it. If we cannot treat him, the fosters are unable to take him and I'm scared at where that leaves the little kitty.

I NEED HELP with people who deal with "ferals." I am terrified of being bitten or scratched to a bloody mess. Does anyone have suggestions? He is normally a little scaredy boy but he isn't mean or aggressive. He is currently being caged because I cannot chase him around the room by myself every day, twice a day for thirty days.

Please this place is my last ditch effort.

AmberLee
06-14-2005, 10:46 PM
Someone here (Jen L. maybe?) suggested wrapping sick kitties inside the sleeve of a sweatshirt, something along the line of a feline staight jacket... to make medicating them easier. It seemed like a good idea to immobalize claws though I admit I haven't tried it myself. Does anyone else remember that post?

catfamily
06-14-2005, 10:53 PM
I would leave him in the cage for the days you need to medicate him.And just wear gloves all the time.Have 1 person hold the kitty and 1 medicate with a pill pusher from a pet store.Or liquid is easy too.I know it's hard but it should get better in time when the cat is handled more.Good luck.Or leave him in the bathroom alone for the cats comfort.But the cage is fine if you can't do the bathroom.The first few days is hardest.Talk to the cat a lot it may help.

Pawsitive Thinking
06-15-2005, 04:38 AM
I used to wrap my less than enthusiastic patient very tightly in a towel and virtually sit on her until she swallowed - catching her in the first place was of course a different story

jenluckenbach
06-15-2005, 05:17 AM
How old is he? (smaller will ofcourse be easier)

Keep him caged.

Take a towel and place it on top of him.

Then, as you pick him up, wrap the towel all the way around him.

Once you are situated comfortably in a chair with the towel wrapped tightly around him, search to free his head only (while keeping all feet TIGHTLY wrapped)

Now scruff him !!!! Make it a firm grip with a lot of skin.

Tilt his head back, his mouth should begin to open while in this position.

Administer medicine (or have someone else do it)

Stay calm, work quickly but not panicky.

cubby31682
06-15-2005, 05:18 AM
I have no advice for you. I just wanted to wish you luck.

QueenScoopalot
06-15-2005, 06:29 AM
If the medicine is a tablet instead of liquid, I find that sardines work well. I get the cans of sardines in oil (the small cans are easier to use) and take a piece of sardine and squeeze it around the pill to form a very small ball. Give the kitten a piece without the pill first, and once that's gone, with the pill. If he tries to pick through it, I find patting them will usually make them think the 'treats' being stolen, and they swallow it faster. ;) Works like a charm, and is less stressful for fraidy cats.:)

catmandu
06-15-2005, 08:45 AM
I WISH,I COULD HELP,BUT THETRE ARE FOUND CATS,LIKE ROCCA,NAD JOHN,THAT I CAN DO NOTHING,WITH.NOT EVEN CLIPPING,THIER M\NAILS. I WISH,YOU,THE BEST OF LUCK,WITH THAT LITTLE ONE,AND HOPE,THAT YOU CAN GIVE HER,THE MEDICINE,THAT SHE NEEDS.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Picture361.jpg

cruisetime
06-15-2005, 09:12 AM
With my wild one Meka - gloves work better than the towel. We tried the towel first and she paniced. But I'd deffinately try the towel first because it is harder to work with gloves. Also I love what one said about grabbing the scruff of the neck like thier mom cats do. My hubby does this with Meka when she just will not let me pick her up - she is biting and scratching me and he will just reach over and grab her by the scruff. I have to learn this myself. For some reason it scares me and I feel it could hurt her but I have been assured by many that it by no means hurts the cat. I will deffinatly try this with her if I have to medicate her. Are you by yourself? IF not it is a lot easier with two people... Maybe a friend can help and wear gloves.. Sorry we are not closer... Debbie

NoahsMommy
06-15-2005, 12:13 PM
My advice was already said here. :)

I hope it works for you and the little one.

Hugs,
Kelly :)