PDA

View Full Version : Help - cut back toe nails???

cruisetime
06-14-2005, 10:48 AM
Do you cut the back nails too???? And how often do you cut nails in general???? Thank you, debbie

catnapper
06-14-2005, 11:01 AM
I cut the front paws about twice a month, and the back paws about once a month.

Harry gets a trim more often than the others because he's my couch shredder. His also get cut so short that there might as well not be a nail there (BAD Harry! :D ) The more often you cut their nail, the shorter the vein that is inside their nails becomes. The shorter the vein, the shorter you can cut the nail. Harry has minimal vein in his front paws from me trimming so often. If you've never trimmed their back paws before, just be careful not to clip the vein - owie.

Sonia59
06-14-2005, 11:48 AM
I also cut the front nails twice a month and the back nails once a month. Actually, it just depends how sharp they are for my hands ;) but I always cut only the very end to avoid having needle-like nails!

lvpets2002
06-14-2005, 11:52 AM
:) I trim my cats front every Sunday & the back paws once a month. My cats front nails grow so fast & was wondering is this too much trimming?

:confused:

Catsnclay
06-14-2005, 02:03 PM
HOW do you guys hold them to cut their nails???? We tried last weekend, we both got bloody and no nails were every trimed!! :(

We need to find a easy way to do this, the vet cost way too much for a nail trim :eek: :eek: so we need to have some sort of idea on how to achive this without the BLOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jenluckenbach
06-14-2005, 03:29 PM
You need to cut the back nails, because if you do not, they will thicken as the cat ages. The thicker they become the more likely for them to grow back into the cat's own foot pad. (Now THAT is owie!!!). But it is true that they don't need it as often as the fronts. I do the backs every other time I trim nails.

And feel free to do them as often as needed but try not to let them grow for more than 6 weeks. (if you can)

And Bunny, since your cats are probably taller than you are (LOL), you might need a bit of help for trimming, but it really shouldn't be that hard.

kittycats_delight
06-14-2005, 04:10 PM
I cut mine girls front twice a month and back once as well. And the method we have that s easiest for clipping is hubby hold them with all feet stuck straight out. With one hand around the chest and the other under the butt. Almost like they are sitting in your hand. That way the person holding the cat can use the hand under the butt to hold either of the back feet while the other person clips. And the hand that is on the chest can hold the front feet. It works really well for us. Not a scratch and not much complaining by the girls cause they feel comfortable and safe being held.

orangemm
06-14-2005, 05:17 PM
We do the same thing; a 2 person operation. Depends on the cat, though. SOME (very few) are docile enough to put up with it (I'm talking about one person doing it).

catmandu
06-14-2005, 07:03 PM
I FIND,THE BACK NAILS,MUCH HARDER,THAN THE FRONT,AS IT IS A LOT EASIER,WHEN YOU CAN HOLD THEM,BY THE FRONT.AND THIER BACK LEGS,ARE MUCH STRONGER,THAN THIER FRONT LEGS,AND MAKES IT MUCH EASIER,FOR THEM,TO ESCAPE.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Diane2.jpg

lvpets2002
06-15-2005, 08:34 AM
:) Well most of my house cats are used to it since I have cut their nails since they were babies. But the others I sit in the recliner & cross my legs & tuck their bottom feet under & between my crossed legs & have their backs next to my chest & start on the front paws & I just tip the nails. Now they sell on the internet the Pet-Wrap & thats $30.00 & its big cloth with velcrow & you just roll them up in it & it has holes to pull their paws thru. Hope this helps you.

lvpets2002
06-15-2005, 08:37 AM
:) Yes Orangie is a cutie sweetypie & do you have any more babies? I have six & all in the house.

cruisetime
06-15-2005, 08:43 AM
Both my cats coming from who knows where - I picked them up at a kill shelter - did not like the clip nail thing at all!!! Now Meka was so good she sat through one paw without a peep - but then she started screeeching! :) :) Two person operation and my hubby holds them with heavy gloves on. Expecially with MEka - she will bite and scratch but really after the first few times she has learned we are not going to hurt her so she is getting better. Max has such large claws that hubby wears gloves in case... He could do some massive damage! :) It is so cute though because when we cut one cats paws and they are meowing the other cat comes and putting their paw on me while I'm trimming like to say "don't hurt them meowmie!" which is so cute because they fight all the time! :):) Max is ok as long as I feed him afterward - he is such a glut! :) :) Debbie

cruisetime
06-15-2005, 08:48 AM
I thank you guys!! I didn't know if we should cut the back or not. We have a little but not as we should have been - really I need to be cutting the front ones more it seems.... I was only doing them when they got so sharp that I couldn't stand it no more! :) I'll start doing them more regular. I looked at Max's back paws last night and his look like they are still cut - you know not pointed - but flat like they'd been cut.. I dont' think either of them had them cut before we got them. Meka's vein was almost to the end - scared me to cut them - and her nails are dark colored (dark tabby cat) so it is harder to see the vein but I didn't nick it. Max is easier as his nails are so clear and the vein in further down - must have been someone's pet before and got out. HE is always wanting out but we dont' let him - I think maybe that is how he ended up at animal control. He is so much better behaved - not violent- than Meka... Debbie

Catsnclay
06-15-2005, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
And Bunny, since your cats are probably taller than you are (LOL), you might need a bit of help for trimming, but it really shouldn't be that hard.

:D :D Very funny, Jen!! :D :D Actually I AM taller than they are (but not by much ;) ) but they are fatter than me -:D

Actually my husband does hold them, but apparently the wrong way!! He just holds them under the arms, and their legs are loose so the "swim" and its hard for me to hold the back paws and cut at the same time. We might have to go out and invest in some heavy gloves.....Lucky likes to bite Tim while he is holding him

:eek: :eek: which doesn't make Tim a happy person!! :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the tips.......off to cut some nails!!