PDA

View Full Version : Be warned.....

Pawsitive Thinking
06-14-2005, 08:18 AM
a fellow dog walker has just lost his beloved companion due to chlorine poisoning....some thoughtless individual had been emptying their swimming pool into a communal alleyway where a lot of locals exercise their pets. Please be aware that if your dog ever drinks from a puddle it may not just be water.......

finn's mom
06-14-2005, 08:28 AM
That's so sad. :(

cali
06-14-2005, 08:49 AM
that is so sad :( that is exactly why I wont let my dogs drink from a puddle, I am always afraid of something like this happening :(

Pawsitive Thinking
06-14-2005, 08:53 AM
I intend to stick warning notices at either end of the alley tonight! would love to hold pool owner's head under their own water but I guess thats a bit extreme!!! Sadly the guy who lost his dog has MS so is often in a motorised scooter.....the only good thing to come out of this is that he has re-homed two gorgeous lab crosses

elizabethann
06-14-2005, 09:44 AM
Thank you so much for posting this. I sometimes let Fenway drink from puddles - one of which is next to a neighbors in-ground pool. I won't anymore.

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE POST!!!

Pawsitive Thinking
06-14-2005, 09:47 AM
my pleasure - this poor guy's dog first developed blisters on his paws that he licked clean so I guess it all started from there

wolfsoul
06-14-2005, 10:18 AM
I always knew that swimming pool water was unhealthy, but I had no idea it was this dangerous. :eek:

wolfsoul
06-14-2005, 10:49 AM
I just did a bit of research. Pool-water ingredients can be toxic when ingested, can cause ear, eye, and nose infections, skin problems, nausia, rapid respiration, excess mucous material (coughed up), burning, possibly cancer....Chlorine is the worst but bromine isn't much better. Wow, I had no idea it was this bad. My dog certianly won't be swimming in any pools unless they are UV treated -- but those are so rare and expensive, what are the chances? :(

Pawsitive Thinking
06-14-2005, 10:53 AM
neither did I - very grateful to the guy who had the decency to stop and warn me of the danger........glad I could pass it on to you too. Would hate to think of any other babies suffering like Tyson did

caseysmom
06-14-2005, 10:59 AM
I think most home pools should not contain that much chlorine, I know ours doesn't. The tap water contains lots of chlorine when it comes out too, I am just wondering why so many chemicals? Casey drinks from our pool, we do have some other natural thing besides the chlorine but most chlorine is gone pretty quick because of the sun.

k9krazee
06-14-2005, 01:21 PM
That is very sad :( I didn't think it was that dangerous...my dogs swim/drink out of the pool all the time.

But I found this at healthypet.com

QUESTION:

My dog likes to sneak drinks out of our swimming pool. Will this hurt him?

ANSWER:

The occasional drink of swimming pool water won't hurt most dogs. The concentration of chlorine and other chemicals in the water is low enough that your dogs would have to drink quite a lot for it to be dangerous. People sometimes swallow pool water on accident too, with no serious consequences, so there's no need to worry.

But I guess it could depend on the size of the dog and the concentration too, we have a huge pool and we don't usually keep up with the chlorine like we should...I guess thats a good thing. Thanks for sharing.

luvofallhorses
06-14-2005, 01:25 PM
:(

Kfamr
06-14-2005, 01:32 PM
If anyone keeps the concentration of chlorine high enough to kill a dog, they're crazy.

I can't stand the smell of chlorine so ours is VERY low. The only time we turn it up is when it's raining, and that's when the dogs aren't out there and aren't allowed near the pool for a while. It usually cycles out within 24 hours.

lv4dogs
06-14-2005, 03:40 PM
Thats so sad.
I never let my dogs drink from puddles, you never know what is in them. Not only chemicals but parasites & the such too.