PDA

View Full Version : Parker may have a new home!!

moosmom
06-13-2005, 09:21 PM
I got a call from a woman who lives in Ohio. She saw Parker's picture on petfinder.com and fell in love with her.

She lost one of her cats a month ago and wants to find a companion for her male cat.

The one thing that disturbs me is she wants to declaw Parker!! :eek:

I tried very nicely to explain to her about declawing and how I wasn't sure if PurrsAbound would allow her to adopt Parker under those circumstances. She said that her male is declawed and that she had it done when he was a kitten, so he wouldn't tear up her new house. :eek: I told her that kittens are very easily trainable to not scratch the furniture.

DUMB RESPONSE #1: "Well, I worked!! I didn't have the TIME to train him! Besides, he was chewing on electrical cords. That's unusual for a cat. Dogs I can understand. But a cat???"

I emailed PurrsAbound and told them about this lady. Parker still has a couple of obstacles to overcome. She is a nipper. She sometimes gives "love bites". If she bites too hard, I correct her. I know that if this lady declaws her, Parker will resort to biting and drawing blood, as the only defense she has. As a result, she may wind up in another shelter. That's the last thing I want for this poor girl. She's been through enough already.

Another thing I'm concerned about is her getting along with other cats. I've had the baby gates up in the doorway for a little over a week now. MooShoo is hell bent on getting at her. He puts his front leg through the bars to try and get her and she spits and hisses at him. His legs have some scratches on them. She got along with Pudding while she was here. But MooShoo actually BITES the gate trying to get at her. :eek: I'm afraid to even let her out yet, although I know it's still too soon.

What you guys think??? I know a home is a home. But I've seen what declawing can do. The last meezer I had was declawed and she had MAJOR issues (she was the one who cornered me in the room!!) They named HER Sybil.

I'd appreciate any feedback you guys can give me.

CalliesMom
06-13-2005, 09:39 PM
Please, Donna don't let this lady adopt her. If she is more concerned about her furniture than the health of her cat, she does not deserve Parker.

Grace
06-13-2005, 09:49 PM
Before I knew better, I had several cats declawed - so that by itself wouldn't bother me.

But her attitude does bother me . . . .

Well, I worked!! I didn't have the TIME to train him!

I think she wants her for the wrong reasons.

If you can avoid it - do not place Parker with this b!tch.

RedHedd
06-13-2005, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by CalliesMom
Please, Donna don't let this lady adopt her. If she is more concerned about her furniture than the health of her cat, she does not deserve Parker. Ditto.

Most rescue shelters and people I know who do rescue work here in CA plain, flat-out will not adopt cats to people who say they will declaw. In fact there's a standard clause in most adoption papers that the adoptive purrents must sign that states they will not declaw the animal. I know, I know, people lie and say they won't, but the fact that this lady came right out and said she would .... I'd say no go. Parker deserves a better home and purrents who love her more than their danged furniture

kittycats_delight
06-13-2005, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by CalliesMom
Please, Donna don't let this lady adopt her. If she is more concerned about her furniture than the health of her cat, she does not deserve Parker.

Ditto !!!! Donna please please please. You didn't go through rescuing Parker to have someone like this take her. Parker is a gorgeous and sweet girl she needs the right home. Not one that is right now. We all want what is best for Parker and a forever home where she is loved and treated like a part of the family not a possession is the right home. Please don't let this lady take Parker.

shais_mom
06-14-2005, 12:01 AM
NO
in a nutshell.
You have never adopted to someone who declaws before. Go with your gut instinct.

krazyaboutkatz
06-14-2005, 12:55 AM
I also say no, please don't let this woman adopt Parker. It sounds like Parker may need to be an only cat any way.

QueenScoopalot
06-14-2005, 04:37 AM
Ditto on the "NO"! If Parker is already nipping, chances are she'll resort to full scale biting after. I'd tell the woman nicely that you have a home for her, but if it falls through, you'll contact her. This avoids the woman getting all huffy and having one of her friends call and inquire about Parker. Some people lie to get what they want. :rolleyes:

orangemm
06-14-2005, 04:40 AM
Please don't let this person adopt Parker. Anyone with that kind of attitude shouldn't have her. I'm sure she could find another adoptee who has already been (sadly) declawed.

furrykidsmother
06-14-2005, 07:59 AM
Noooo!!! Please don't let this woman adopt Parker. I agree with everyone, not only the declawing, but her attitude is lousy too! Parker deserves better than that.

cruisetime
06-14-2005, 08:18 AM
It sounds like you are working well with PArker and she is responding to you. If you put her in a home where the lady will obviously not take the time for PArker she may resort back the way she was. Also she will need time with the new cat and obviously the woman will not give that either.

As far as declawing - my Meka was violent after we got her from Animal COntrol - blood just dripping down my hubby's arm when she out of the blue grabbed on with claws and teeth. We are lucky she is a small cat. Anyway we still didn't declaw her. We are working with her and she is showing a lot of promise but it is slow go since October. I still have not declawed her nor intend too. As a last last last resort we have thought about it but time is showing a lot of improvement so I dont' think it will be necessary. I called the vet about it and she said it is very painful for an older cat (over 1 year old) and you have to keep them from jumping for two weeks - yah right with mine - she is all over the place. So this lady wanting to declaw right away a cat that is over a year is not a good sign at all. Parker's forever home is out there but if you give her to this lady she will not find her forever home..... I vote NO No No!!!! Debbie

Maya & Inka's mommy
06-14-2005, 08:25 AM
Do NOT give Parker to her!!! He deserves a good loving home. I would tell that lady to get lost!!

ramanth
06-14-2005, 08:30 AM
Those are valid concerns and I must say Parker has NOT found a home.

I'm sure she'll find a loving home soon, but not with this lady.

catmandu
06-14-2005, 08:54 AM
THE WRONG HOME,IS WORSE,THAN NO HOME,AS THIS LADY,IS NOT A CAT PERSON,AND SHE,WILL ONLY TRUMATIZE PARKER,BY YELLING AT HIM.BESIDES ,I KNOW,THAT NOONE,WILL ALLOW THE ADOPTED CAT,TO BE DECLAWED,I HAVE IT,IN THE CONTRACT,WHEN I ADOPTED SCRAPPY 2,THAT I AM FORBIDDEN,TO DECLAW,NOT THAT I WOULD,EVER DO THAT,TO A CAT.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/catphotos951.jpg
THATS RIGHT,IF WE ARE DECLAWED,WE CAME,THAT WAY.

Randi
06-14-2005, 09:00 AM
Donna, most people who declaw their cats are ignorant about the consequences, but this woman sounds like she doesn't really care whether it will be painful to the cat, all she cares about is her furniture. :mad: If you can talk to her and perhaps show her a few articles about declawing, she may be enlightened and change her mind. However, you'll not feel sure, what ever she says now, will you? If you let her have Parker, you'll be wondering for a long time, has she declawed her or not. :( I don't think you should let her have Parker, unless you feel totally sure she won't do it.

Next time you have a cat up for adoption on Petfinder, will it be possible to require (demand) that the cat goes to a home who doesn't declaw?

smokey the elder
06-14-2005, 10:14 AM
I don't think this is the best possible situation for Parker. If she's already bitey, declawing will probably make it worse. The lady sounds like she wants a fancy cat as a showpiece.

RedHedd
06-14-2005, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
I know a home is a home. This one line really resonated with me and bothers me .... any old home is not a home for a cat I care about, if the people care more about their furniture than their pets.

Freckles
06-14-2005, 12:18 PM
Can you suggest she go to a shelter and look for cats already declawed? That may solve her problem.

Kfamr
06-14-2005, 01:28 PM
It'd be irresponsible to adopt a cat out to someone who wants to do this.

I'm sure there are plenty of cats who are already declawed awaiting a home.

sasvermont
06-14-2005, 01:45 PM
Doesn't sound like the right home to me. You asked!

Good luck.

Barbara
06-14-2005, 01:57 PM
I agree with everyone- not only because of the declawing but also because she said "I don't have time to train a cat."

Means: she considers the cat as a piece of furniture too. It's just there:( you don't have to do something for her.

NoahsMommy
06-14-2005, 05:53 PM
I agree with everyone else....NO!!!!

King Spartacus
06-14-2005, 05:57 PM
Oh no... oh please don't let pretty Parker go to this home... it seems this person only want's a cat for show... a cat is a person too, and needs love and attention... Heck... I ruin everything in sight, but mamma still loves me to bit! I'm sure a loving forever home will come up soon, and I shall keep my paws crossed that Paker will win the heart of someone who will love her, claws and all!

Purries from Spartacus

moosmom
06-14-2005, 07:19 PM
I emailed PurrsAbound and told Retta about my conversation with the lady. I also suggested that she NOT adopt Parker to this woman for all the reasons everyone of you posted.

I also feel this woman doesn't care about Parker as a pet. That dumb remark she made really pissed me off. If you're gonna have a pet, have one because you CARE about it, not because you want an "object".

I'll let you know what they decide. In the meantime, Parker isn't going anywhere.

moosmom
06-15-2005, 07:30 AM
I got an email from PurrsAbound and the will NOT be adopting Parker out to that lady. I told them of my concerns and my conversation with her. They said they value and respect the foster home's opinions and if a "red flag" goes up, that's enough for them.

kittycats_delight
06-15-2005, 08:51 AM
That is great Donna. Parker deserves so much better. You and PurrsAbound did the right thing not letting Prker go to that lady. I thank you and I can guarentee you Parker thanks you too. :D

ramanth
06-15-2005, 11:09 AM
Great news! :)

furrykidsmother
06-15-2005, 11:15 AM
YEAH!!!:) :) :) :) The right home will come along for her in time. Someone who will love her just as she is with claws and that will have the time for her.

catnapper
06-15-2005, 11:28 AM
I just saw this thread - sorry donna! I'd say you made the right decision. As much as you'd love to see her find a home, this one was not the right one!

NoahsMommy
06-15-2005, 11:52 AM
That's great news, Donna!! :)

King Spartacus
06-15-2005, 01:11 PM
Oh thank you for helping putting a stop to this woman getting pretty Parker! I'm sure a great home for her will pop up soon!!!

Happy purries from Spartacus!