PDA

View Full Version : Any?

petslover
06-13-2005, 09:12 PM
I was thinking about going to school to be a nurse so that I could work in either with the mentally challenged or at a nursing home with elderly. So if anyone works in a nursing home I was wondering what was your input on it.

I really think I would like it. I am going to start volunteering to see how I like or dislike it.

The only thing is I am really scared I will run up on something that I don't want to see. That is the only thing I am worried about with the elderly.

I am thinking about either majoring in special education or take a 2 year course in lpn nursing.

So any of you have any stories, advice, etc. please let me know.

I was going to major in business, but after getting this job I know I don't have a business mind lol!

Thank you.

Cookiebaker
06-13-2005, 09:19 PM
I volunteered for the elderly for quite a while. I was involved in "activities" and was in charge of setting up different games and things for them to do. It's a wonderful, wonderful way to give to people who are in need. A lot of them don't have families that come to visit on a regular basis, and they are sad and lonely. Many times just to sit and hold their hands and listen to them talk put a smile on their face.

No, it isn't always easy, but I found that I could always call a nurse if something unpleasant happened.

I would definitely encourage you to pursue a volunteer position. It doesn't have to be much -- every Saturday morning or Sunday afternoon for a couple of hours, or something like that.

Good Luck with your decisions! :)

NoahsMommy
06-13-2005, 09:37 PM
I too would encourage volunteering first...but, getting your RN would help you A LOT in your future too. That degree is SO versitile and you truly can take it anywhere. :)

IRescue452
06-13-2005, 09:37 PM
I've worked with the elderly for a long time through volunteer at a nursing home and as a private caretaker. Here is my list of things I'm not yet fully comfortable with. Cleaning up after somebody throws up, helping with wiping, bathing the elderly, clipping toenails, anything with needles, some nursing home policies that I don't like because these are people and we aren't supposed to be speeding up their dying process, weird smells. Well just to name a few. Anywho, if you really love the work like I do and you love to sit around listening to old stories, you'll get over the cringy things.

jennifert9
06-13-2005, 09:48 PM
I worked at a nursing home when I was a teenager and I have to admit, at that age (15,16) ALOT of things scared me....I had no idea of what to expect and no personal experience with elderly people in need of help. I was also very very shy and that doesn't meld well with some older people who have lived full lives and are very confident...
I completely encourage you to volunteer at a nursing home though. You will learn SO much.
Being an RN is a fantastic job, high-paying and you can take it with you wherever you go....If you like the business end, become a head nurse or an administrator. My aunt does this now and makes big bucks and still has the rewards of the patient care.
You are obviously a big-hearted, loving person and I don't think you would be happy in a "business" field. Go where you can use your heart AND your brain!!

petslover
06-13-2005, 10:17 PM
Well I'm not to sure about working with the elderly now about the clipping toenails, wiping. I never thought about that. I knew you had to bathe them, but i never thought about that. I don't know if I could handle that.

I mean I know I want to work with people. I really would like to work with people cancer patients or mentally challenged or something like that.. I Just don't know what direction to go in.

I am 19 years old, starting my second year in college, and still haven't gotten a major yet really. I don't know what I want to do the rest of my life.

It is so frustrating to me.

Thanks for the replies.