PDA

View Full Version : Pet store dogs?

CagneyDog
06-13-2005, 05:51 PM
Just wondering...

Does every pet store get their dogs from puppy mills?

Sorry, I know that for some this is a stupid question but I honestly don't know :o :o :o

MariaM
06-13-2005, 05:52 PM
As far as I know, yes. Perhaps the tiny percentage that don't get them from puppy mills get them from breeders...irresponsible breeders. The store will sell to anyone who has enough money, meaning the breeder doesn't even care where their dogs go to.

wolfsoul
06-13-2005, 07:08 PM
In my opinion, anyone who puts their dog in a pet shop is a puppy mill. A "mill" is something that supplies. If you breed your dogs for the purpose of "supplying" a pet shop, you are a puppy mill. But then there are accidental litters -- not bred for the exact purpose of supplying a pet shop. Most people think of puppy mills as big dirty disgusting places with cages heaped on top of one another --- as far as those go, statistcs say that 9 out of 10 puppies in a pet shop come from one of those.

Chica
06-13-2005, 07:23 PM
I FEEL SORRY FOR PUPPIES I SEE IN PET STORES. IT'S HEARTBREAKING!!!! :(

*LabLoverKEB*
06-13-2005, 07:48 PM
That's a VERY good questions. (IMOP)..... lol. :D :p

There is this pet store right by me house, and they sell puppies, and the owner's daughter is my friend, and I've talked to her about this numeous times. It really comcernes me though

IRescue452
06-13-2005, 08:02 PM
Not around my area, some have dogs from the shelter, of course you still adopt though the shelter its just that the store is used for getting the dogs seen.
There is one store by us where they sell animals, not dogs or cats, from ok breeders. The breeder is there everyday to take care of their animals and you have to sign whatever contract they decide on but the store I suppose gets a cut not to mention they get the business of the breeders' customers. They really try to educate their customers and you can go to them any time with questions or advice.
Its just matter of finding that rare good store.

GoldenRetrLuver
06-13-2005, 08:21 PM
I do not support ANY pet stores that sell dogs or cats. I hate them with a passion.

My aunt purchased her two Pugs, Lilly and Brutus, from a privately owned pet store and I did not agree with it. The owners of the store "say" they get their puppies from reputable breeders, but no good breeder (in my opinion) in their right mind would sell to anyone knowing that their pups would end up in a pet store with no home screenings, not being able to keep in touch with the owner, etc. The people who own this pet store supposedly do "home checks" and only let "their" puppies go to the best possible home available.. but still, I will not, and never will agree with it.

There's a pet store in the mall that I can't walk by without starting to tear up.. they keep all of their puppies and kittens in tiny glass cages. I'll never understand how or why people can be so cruel.

Vette
06-13-2005, 08:31 PM
Im with GoldenRetrLuver on this one.

and what doesnt come from puppy mills comes from people who let their dog.. do their thing... without careing to screen both the dogs for any health issues they both might have for a few fast $bucks$.

Giselle
06-13-2005, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by GoldenRetrLuver
I do not support ANY pet stores that sell dogs or cats. I hate them with a passion.

My aunt purchased her two Pugs, Lilly and Brutus, from a privately owned pet store and I did not agree with it. The owners of the store "say" they get their puppies from reputable breeders, but no good breeder (in my opinion) in their right mind would sell to anyone knowing that their pups would end up in a pet store with no home screenings, not being able to keep in touch with the owner, etc. The people who own this pet store supposedly do "home checks" and only let "their" puppies go to the best possible home available.. but still, I will not, and never will agree with it.

There's a pet store in the mall that I can't walk by without starting to tear up.. they keep all of their puppies and kittens in tiny glass cages. I'll never understand how or why people can be so cruel.

Exactly, no matter how much the pet store touts and taunts, their dogs come from *some* type of irresponsible breeder.

Any breeder whose first priority is money and breeds to supply pet stores will NOT test their dogs. Its like the ongoing battle between capitalists and laborers- in order to maximize profits, capitalists pay low wages and set a high price. The same goes for BYBs/puppy millers. In order to maximize their profits, they spend the least amount of money possible to rear and breed puppies and sell those same puppies for an exorbitant amount of money. Now, it is different when a shelter brings in puppies and dogs to get publicity. *However*, those puppies and dogs up for adoption are not sold to anybody and everybody. Prospective owners do need to fill out an adoption application and pay the adoption fee and, usually, go through and interview and/or homecheck. The two should never be confused. But as long as the pet store says they acquire their dogs from "breeders", turn your head and walk away.

cyber-sibes
06-13-2005, 10:21 PM
I worked with a girl who worked for the local mall pet store and she told me that at least in this particular store, they got puppies from some Mennonite farmers near here. I personally see one that came from the mall all the time at the dogpark and he's a really nice dog. But overall, I've heard many horror stories about people ending up with very sick dogs from mall pet stores, I would never get one there.

IRescue452
06-14-2005, 09:06 AM
Oh don't fall for those type of breeders. This Mennonite breeder is still selling for profit to straners who may not be good with their pup. Some stores here get them from Amish breeders, this somehow gives people a false sense of security, but the Amish breeders run pretty bad puppy mills too.