PDA

View Full Version : Really bad bite

ILoveReptiles
06-13-2005, 11:09 AM
Well Caicos's good record of no biting for almost a year is now broken.

Today she got me really badly. I have a few pictures if anyone wants to see - it's a nasty bite. I almost passed out from this one.

06-13-2005 Bite (one side of finger) (http://www.caicos.org/linkedpics/wound06132005_CAICOS2.jpg)

06-13-2005 Bite (other side of finger) (http://www.caicos.org/linkedpics/wound06132005_CAICOS.jpg)

Kfamr
06-13-2005, 11:22 AM
Ouch!! It looks really deep. Poor you.

Psssst.. What type of animal is Caicos?

*EDIT* Nevermind.. I did a search. Iguanas bite that badly? :eek:

ILoveReptiles
06-13-2005, 11:24 AM
She's a Giant Green Iguana.

ETA: Yeah, her teeth are translucent and just as sharp as any razorblade.

:eek: owie. Makes for lots of pain when she gets annoyed with me.

luvofallhorses
06-13-2005, 11:56 AM
:eek: ouch! Like Kay asked iguanas bite that badly?

ramanth
06-13-2005, 12:19 PM
Yeowch!! Sorry that she got ya.

ILoveReptiles
06-13-2005, 12:49 PM
In answer to your questions - yes, Iguanas can bite that badly, or worse.

I must say this is probably one of the worst bites SHE has given me though.

The worst I got was when I had that other iguana for a week (until it bit Caicos). And it bit me on the nose. I bled through about 4 paper towels that day and missed work.

cocker_luva
06-13-2005, 03:46 PM
owie!what a naughty lizard.

BitsyNaceyDog
06-13-2005, 04:20 PM
OUCH!
I am so glad I've never been bitten by my iguana. I'd be passed out on the floor.

ILoveReptiles
06-13-2005, 06:14 PM
Well I opened it up again when I was changing the bandage and bumped it against something. I started screaming because it hurt so much but I went out and had a few drinks so I can't feel the pain so much anymore.

Ugh. Owie ow ow ow ow.

My poor finger. :(

jodi
06-13-2005, 07:06 PM
wow! that's a nasty bite.

ILoveReptiles
06-14-2005, 09:45 AM
Actually I met a woman in the bar last night who also has an iguana - she's raised it from the day it hatched.

And it tore off part of her bottom lip.

They can be VERY nasty... She had to have cosmetic surgery to rebuild her missing lip, and there's a little divot in it that is permanent.

finn's mom
06-14-2005, 11:45 AM
Wow, that is ugly. It reminds me of the wound I got when Finn pulled me down a couple of stairs and I had to grab a wooden wall slat to avoid falling down. That hurt, and, I know I bumped into things too, ouch. The way I avoided hitting my finger into stuff again was to make the bandage around it really obnoxiously big, probably about an inch of bandage wrapped around my finger. I didn't hit it after that, I was always very aware of it. :) They have ouchless pads you can put over the wound, too, before you wrap gauze or bandages. I kept pulling stuff out of my wound before I got the hurt free ones. that was awful. Just some suggestions if you wanted to try different bandages. I'm sorry your girl bit you that hard. :(

NoahsMommy
06-14-2005, 04:59 PM
OUCH!!! :(

Hope it heals soon.

DogLover9501
06-14-2005, 05:10 PM
:eek: Ouch!

Sometimes I have to feed Ace(Water Dragon) with a shringe, as he'll stop eating, usually when shedding.

The way he CLAMPS onto the shringe, where I can't even get it back, I can only imagine the bite he could give me!

Fox-Gal
06-14-2005, 07:34 PM
Ouch ouch. I've had small little nips, but never one that drew blood, that goodness. Now welts from their tails........Those I've had many of.

This is one of the reasons, I never handle (pick up) Vern or George without my welding gloves on. Iguana are great pets, but I always keep it in the back of my mind, that one bite, for what ever reason, can break a finger. If an Iguana, can crack a walnut open, just imagine what they can do to bones. Even with them friendly, like George who is so use to me, that when I go to feed him, he tries to get the food, out of my hand, before I get a chance to set it down, fingers and all!!!!!!!!

My friend went to give her baby a kiss and lost half her noes. That taught me a lesson, never 100% trust, if they are in the wrong mood one day...............LOOK OUT.

kimboe
06-15-2005, 09:55 AM
Ouch, Umm...Aren't Iguanas endangered because of people wanting to own them as pets and are also soon to be illegel?

trayi52
06-15-2005, 10:08 AM
Ouch! That looks so painful! Hope it gets well soon. Do be careful.

Willie:)

ILoveReptiles
06-16-2005, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by kimboe
Ouch, Umm...Aren't Iguanas endangered because of people wanting to own them as pets and are also soon to be illegel?

Hmm... not that I'm aware of. Where'd you hear this?

ILoveReptiles
06-16-2005, 05:38 AM
I found a link...
Iguana Teeth & Bites (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/steve.woodward/teeth.html)

Hmm. It's time to get a pair of elbow length kevlar gloves. Anyone know who might sell those?

CathyBogart
06-16-2005, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by kimboe

Dunno where you heard that, but no. Where did you get that information?

Kfamr
06-16-2005, 12:56 PM
I know there's a lot of people who have iguanas, and have for YEARS, so I highly doubt that's true.

sandragonfly
06-16-2005, 08:47 PM
posted by ilovereptiles
Actually I met a woman in the bar last night who also has an iguana - she's raised it from the day it hatched.

And it tore off part of her bottom lip.

They can be VERY nasty... She had to have cosmetic surgery to rebuild her missing lip, and there's a little divot in it that is permanent.

YIPES...and does she still have that iguana? :( no matter how tame or long they've been nutured...geez. *gulps*

sorry about your bitty izzy! hope for no infection, get well figgy! :D just keep it treated.. (hugs)

Fox-Gal
06-16-2005, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by ILoveReptiles
I found a link...
Iguana Teeth & Bites (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/steve.woodward/teeth.html)

Hmm. It's time to get a pair of elbow length kevlar gloves. Anyone know who might sell those?

That's why I have welding gloves...........nice and thick, just in case. Home Depot. ;)

ILoveReptiles
06-17-2005, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by Gina's Ark Inc.

[color=purple]YIPES...and does she still have that iguana? :( no matter how tame or long they've been nutured...geez. *gulps*

sorry about your bitty izzy! hope for no infection, get well figgy! :D just keep it treated.. (hugs)

Yes, she still has the iguana. Only now she says she respects it a whole lot more, and is more careful around it.

And thanks. I let it air out yesterday and it looks much better now.

Fox Gal - thanks for the input. I'll be looking for welder's gloves. hehe

FizzGiggs_Mommy
06-17-2005, 06:55 PM
OUCH! That looked like it hurt.....

ILoveReptiles
06-17-2005, 08:26 PM
And it still does, when I bump it by accident

Though the tip of that finger has decreased sensation. I can still feel things but not as well as my other fingertips.

finn's mom
06-17-2005, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by ILoveReptiles
And it still does, when I bump it by accident

Did you see what I said in my earlier post? If you overwrap it, it helps keep you from bumping it. :) It's obnoxious looking, but, it works! :)

slleipnir
06-21-2005, 02:45 AM
Ooowwie!

ILoveReptiles
06-21-2005, 08:04 PM
They say bad things happen in 3's right?

Well the bite is mostly healed...

But I got into a car accident this past friday, and my baby (my car) got all messed up. $2,187.50 worth of damage to do the body work - it's all cosmetic and I still drive the car, but I'm devastated.

I LOVE this car. :(

http://www.caicos.org/linkedpics/acuraDamage1.jpg

http://www.caicos.org/linkedpics/acuraDamage2.jpg

http://www.caicos.org/linkedpics/acuraDamage3.jpg

And then, my application I use to track my diet got corrupted and has been completely destroyed. I managed to salvage my data, but I have to rebuild the whole program. Grrr...