PDA

View Full Version : a baby lost..

cali
06-13-2005, 08:02 AM
last night I lost a baby, I raised smudge from birth, he was to turn 3 years old this year, but he was never like the other guinea pigs, he did not get along with them and did not like to be handled a lot, but when I got my Rabbit they became the best of friends, rarely was their a moment that the 2 of them were not snuggled up to eachother, then recently I noticed that the water was not going as fast as normal and the cage was not getting messy as fast, but I was so stressed about all these school projects that I thought "whatever, maybe they just dont like this water" Kari was fine and smudge appeared to be fine after all. then last night I grabbed the litter box to clean, he was fine when I grabbed the box, but when I came back with the clean box smudge was lying on the floor gasping for air, I grabbed him right away, and had no idea what was wrong, it was the middle of the night and my mom was out of town, I cleaned him up and kept him warm, and got fluids into his system, while I was force feeding him water with a small dropper I realized that his teeth seemed really long, I had no idea what was normal so I checked blizzard and sure enugh his top teeth we hardly visable beyonf the upper lip, smidge however had malocclusion, if I closed his mouth his teeth extended right down his chin, so I started filing his teeth down, but my mom had taken the nail clippers with her so the file was all I had, unfortinatly I was not fast enugh, I stayed up with him for 2 hours then his bottom started to bleed, that had me VERY confused, but then this white stuff came out of his penis and he went limp, I still have no clue what happend to him but I did my best to save him and lost :( Kari keeps hunring around the cage trying to find her buddy, which just makes me feel worse :(

ramanth
06-13-2005, 08:50 AM
:( I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

k9krazee
06-13-2005, 09:19 AM
I am soo sorry for your loss :( :( R.I.P Smudge :( :(
You did all that you could do for the little guy, he is all better and happy at the RB.

jenluckenbach
06-13-2005, 09:54 AM
I am so terribly sorry for your loss. :( You cannot always know when they are sick, sometimes things go unnoticed (I know!). I am sorry your bunnny is lonely now, just give her some extra attention to help her through her loss. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

cali
06-13-2005, 10:06 AM
thanks guys, I did some more research now that its daylight, as I figered something else had to be wrong with him, as malocclusion would not cause laboured breathing, I looked it up and that is a symptom of respratory infection, which is VERY serious, and explains why I was not able to save him, for a resratory infection you are supposed to go to a vet that knows piggies right away, which unfortinatly was not possable under the circumstances :(

K9soul
06-13-2005, 11:07 AM
I'm very sorry you lost your baby Smudge, I know you are heartbroken :(. I hope you can take some comfort in that he is free of pain now and in piggy paradise at the RB.

Scamper along at the Bridge now dear Smudge. You are deeply missed by your Mommy and furry friend, Kari.

petslover
06-13-2005, 01:11 PM
I am sorry for your loss. You did the best you could and you should be proud of yourself for doing that.

wolfie
06-14-2005, 03:44 PM
I am so sorry for your loss! :( I hope you and your bun are doing okay.