PDA

View Full Version : Squacky.. (Hug for Zippykat)

sandragonfly
06-12-2005, 04:50 PM
I just got a beep of a new post from prayers of zippykat and had to share this!

just today, I was limping by with crayola and saw something moving under the pile of leaves.. I asked crayola sit, down and stay, and walked closer, it tried escaped from me, (the pile of leaves), it limped then keeps on falling on its right side where the injury leg was. it stopped and didn't want to run anymore. I felt so bad when it tried to escape, it didn't move at least a inch. it was a baby squirrel!!

of course, the first thing I thought was...tonya's (zippykat) who lost her squacky (http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80668&perpage=30&pagenumber=1) and wanted to name him squacky in honor of zippy's little one!

I picked him up, took him with me, he's much comfortable and afriadless if I close my both hands a little. not much furs grown yet.. when you hold him up in the air, you could see part of his leg hanging from side to side :eek:

zippy, or anyone...help me! I've never taken in squrriel before.. I have to take him to the vet but no car right now, hope to find a ride soon. while I try calling my vet, what should I feed him? should I keep him really warm or towel would be too much for him... I'm helpless but can't let this helpless squacky being taken by a predator! and to hope recover him then release back into his 'home'...

any help would be great, thanks a bunch!!
ps; oh, my concern, should I look for the nest on the ground or up in tree? just want to check & make sure all the other little ones are fine too.. :(

Aspen and Misty
06-12-2005, 05:09 PM
I really like this web page on information. I know it is wordy, but it is VERY informative.

http://www.hal-pc.org/~jbsum/squirrel.html

Good luck! And pictures are a MUST.

Ashley

sandragonfly
06-12-2005, 05:31 PM
a quick update,

just got a hold of my vet, he and she were clueless what to do, gave me the local humane society number, tried that but closed on sunday and had an emergency animal control number on their recording.. called that number too but is currently closed...argh.

I know!!! I'm mad, I don't have any camera with me! waa waa...but by any chance ride to a store, maybe a portable camera??

ashley's link, as posting this from my little sidekick pager, all I can see is "Squrriel Nutrition & Care... by Clarissa Summers" :( :confused:
can anyone copy & paste the wordy wordies and PM them for me? thanks!

(speaking of PMs, sorry I haven't check them for long time, will try to reply all by tonight!)

Karen
06-12-2005, 05:57 PM
Gina, I copied the text for the squirrel page and am emailing it to your tmail account, okay?

sandragonfly
06-12-2005, 06:15 PM
karen - sure, please do!!

aw, squacky just peeked at me and said thanks! :)

Karen
06-12-2005, 06:18 PM
Okay - it is now sent. It was over 130,000 words, so couldn't fit in a PM!

sandragonfly
06-12-2005, 07:18 PM
posted by karen
Okay - it is now sent. It was over 130,000 words, so couldn't fit in a PM!
okay..wow, WORDY...got it all.

one question, where do you get 200 I.U Vitamin E. to be added in scalded milk? he has been trying to suck my index finger.. :( hate it when someone lose its mother.

by reading the age chart, squacky must be about 5 weeks old! thank goodness I have heating pad & 1cc/3cc syringe already. (it was from a wounded duck I took in a long time ago and don't worry, they are already sterilized).

now..next? taking care of him, of course but is it illegal for me to have squacky with me until it's healed and be released by me? I don't want any more troubles! :)

shais_mom
06-15-2005, 11:51 PM
Any pics of the lil fart??

How's it doing?

I was worried when you said it's legs were hanging I thought maybe it had a broken back.....

update when you can...

sandragonfly
06-16-2005, 07:42 PM
thanks staci!!

:( no pictures!! and couldn't take one anyway because on that day I freaked out, asking for help in this thread, found a ride to vet on the next day and had the leg wrapped up. then the office told me it's illegal to keep squacky! (?!!?)

..but rather I'm so clueless to help him, animal control society helps him so much better than I but I keep in touch with them until he's release back into wilderness...pray for no setback. :( so far...none. and is doing marvelous. very perky, challenging himself to walk. :D

hey! maybe they can take a picture of him and I'll post picture right away if they send one...humm! *claws crossing*

jesebellea
06-21-2005, 03:44 PM
i myself had to take care of 6 orphaned raccoons last summer, we had found their nest in the early spring, but didnt bother them, they were living in our garage roof,
well around the end of summer. they started to wander around, and i kept catching them and putting them back where their nest was, did this for two days, during the day, so after the third day of them wandering around during the day without mama, i realized she must have been one of the raccons that was hit by a car on my road, i caught them all and started to bottle feed and supply them with food, did this for over a week, that was how long it took for me to find someone that would rehabilitate them, and set them back in the wild,
on the night that i had to take them i was upset, as i knew i would miss them,but i was lucky enough to have pictures to remember them by, i shall share them sometime
but after that i did find two baby squirrels that i had for a few days, and then took them to the same place i took my coons to, but i didnt get pictures of them , they were red squirrels, and oh so cute,

sandragonfly
06-23-2005, 08:44 PM
hi and welcome jesebellea!

thanks for sharing yours..poor the mommy you found! :( that's soo sad. once I found squacky II, I left out some food to see if it disappears but it never did. babies were too little to find the food I left out there. and yes, I would love to see photos of your orphaned coons please!

it makes my heart smile seeing many injuried or helpless infants getting help around here!

I was sad to not able to take care of squacky II but he's in a good place. I called the animal control about puppies the other day and asked them about squacky, they said he was doing good and was discharged to a site near bryon (?) where they are raising and gaining its skills before releasing into wilderness but they'll let me know as long as I check in again. that's a good news! :)

jesebellea
06-23-2005, 10:04 PM
bad pic of me, but cute one of "coon"

jesebellea
06-23-2005, 10:12 PM
found another few....

sandragonfly
06-24-2005, 04:51 PM
oh my gosh, they are very very adorable!!!!!!!

have any of them tried to bite you?

hey, I think you should make a new thread of your CUTE coons in pet general forum, I bet everyone will love to see them!

many thanks for sharing! you're so quick. ;)

jesebellea
06-25-2005, 01:21 PM
well those pics were from last summer,
i gave them to wildlife rehabilitator, and she set them free when they were able to fend for themselves, out of the six, she only lost one, i think because he was the agressive one out of the bunch and didnt take well to being cared for,
at first they were obviously scared, but i guess since the mama was gone for at least 3 days, and they didnt eat very well on their own at that time, they were too hungry to be scared once i introduced a bottle to them
i shall make a post in general for them, thanks for the advice,
i love sharing my raccoon stories, as they have been a favourite animal of mine for a long time,.... have lots of cute stories from the past about them