PDA

View Full Version : Any Vets (the pet doctor vet) out there?

Sweetness
06-11-2005, 11:29 PM
Hey...I just dont know what i want to do with my life, but i LOVE ANIMALS!!!! And I am not sure if i want to be a Vet or what. If you are a vet or know what vet really do please tell me everything. I mean tell me every little detail wether its good or bad. And if you are not tell me what you do and what kind of jobs are out there lol. I just want to get a feel. But I kinda want to be a vet I just dont think I could do the cutting up and giving shots....

jenluckenbach
06-12-2005, 05:51 AM
I work with animals. I am a pet groomer.

I personally did not wish to be a vet (even though everyone thought I should do that). To me there is too much stress. Life and death situations. Pressure to be perfect. On call at all hours of the day. Working with animals at their worst moments (in pain, dying......)

aly
06-12-2005, 12:18 PM
I'm not a vet (don't think I've ever seen a vet on this site), but I am a vet assistant and I love it. I would highly recommend becoming a vet tech or assistant so you can get a feel for what it is like to be a vet. You will see every aspect of the job and work very closely with the vet(s) so you'll know what they go through. You could probably even get your foot in the door as a receptionist if you can't find a tech or assistant job.

I've loved animals since I was born :) I always dreamed of becoming a vet, but I didn't think I could handle it - the emotions and the medical aspects. I never thought I could handle shots or seeing blood at all. Through the years of shelter work, I saw a lot though. I found that I could handle more than I thought. I also found that shots were not nearly as hard as I thought they would be. Since working at the vet, I've seen way more than I ever imagined I'd see. I still have to hide my eyes from some things, but I can handle a lot of things since I've been slowly introduced to them over time.

Sure, it is an EMOTIONAL job with many ups and downs. The sadness can be overwhelming, but you just have to remember how many animals you are helping. How many animals might have otherwise died if not for you? How many people are grateful their baby had you to comfort them in their time of need? When you look into the eyes of an animal that had been knocking on death's door and is now happily walking out the door with his owner, it will all be worth it.

My advice is to find a great clinic with compassionate doctors. There's nothing worse than working for a bad vet. I was fortunate to find my clinic where the doctors are against declawing, won't euthanize unless absolutely necessary (ie: won't euthanize because an owner just doesn't want the animal anymore), and do what they can to help people financially. Helping animals is in my heart and I'll always do it. Even though I encounter stressful, sad days, I won't stop because it'll always be worth it for the ones you saved.

Rachel
06-12-2005, 03:39 PM
Aly, you are absolutely right.....and absolutely amazing.

luvofallhorses
06-12-2005, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Rachel
Aly, you are absolutely right.....and absolutely amazing.

Ditto :) I want to be just like you someday, Aly. :)

aly
06-12-2005, 06:07 PM
AWWW, thanks guys :o :o :D

CalliesMom
06-12-2005, 06:08 PM
I am a graduate student at a veterinary college. The intention was to get the master's degree and then apply to vet school, but after doing research I don't think being a vet was my real area of interest. I KNOW it takes a lot of HARD WORK AND DEDICATION to make it through vet school. They have sometimes as many as 23 units a semester and all they do is study, read, and do homework.

It is highly competitive to get in. I've had friends apply as many as three times before they are finally accepted. You have to have GREAT grades and GRE scores. Plus, you are supposed to have so many hours working at vet clinics or other organizations that give you experience working with animals. They want well-rounded individuals, though, and some of my friends did not have much vet experience but they were engineering majors in college, or working on Master's degrees when they were accepted.

They generally don't take people with GPAs less than 3.4 undergrad, however, if you do well in your Master's/PhD program, it will counter balance your undergrad scores. Basically, be willing to work very hard to prove you are worthy of acceptance and you should get in. Good luck in whatever you decide to pursue. We need more kind-hearted people willing to work at veterinary clinics and shelters.

sandragonfly
06-12-2005, 08:24 PM
hi :)

I'm not a vet...yet? ;) still deciding. (emotive, years of committee & how much you can handle..)

me: last fall, enrolled into veterarianary tech program, took some classes and sure could do homework with happiness...finally. (going school from six to eight years is not one of my or anybody's dream!) but the lucky in november, I was hired as a vet assistant/surgery prep at the same time I went to school and oh my gosh...very emotive. compared to classes, visual presentations, and friends, their experiences...etc. :p

I have no problem with needles, bloods, am more than glad to watch them, being cut up to help, fix the problem. not at all. but I still weep uncontrolablly everytime I had to go into the "quiet room" to take out the animals that were just euthanized or hold an animal for one other until they rest peacefully or some have died in my/our arms while 3 - 5 veterarians frantically saving their hearts. because I shedded my tears pretty often, I was being sent home by my boss's orders.. :rolleyes: I know I don't have to do these painful tasks but when you're around, sometimes they would call for you and you couldn't say no...they needed you..very hard but always be strong.

even where I work, absolutely is a wonderful place, every of us are just like a one, big affectionate family! that would be the most thing you need for your career. like my very understandingable boss who never got frustrated sending me home at least two times a month. the only one thing I'm afraid is...I don't know how long would I handle this .. everytime an animal dies, takes a piece of my heart away..almost daily, really. there are so many in need of help than you think, seriously. (I couldn't believe when I see c-section animals (mostly dogs, cats and pigs) coming in twice a day for a week!)..

anyway, there of course are some good, fun, happy days, giving your loves in that inspire you, make you and your heart smile all day long..but the bad, sadden and sorrow parts sure does absord away your positive thoughts sometimes! very challenging but good to know that you did a right thing too!

hope this was personally enough and good luck on your decision :)

wolf_Q
06-12-2005, 10:35 PM
I have to agree that Aly is amazing! :D I also have to ask you Aly...did you have to get a certificate or anything to be a vet assistant? That's a job I've been thinking about lately.

Kfamr
06-12-2005, 10:39 PM
I'm sorry, i'm not a vet and don't have any advice to add..

But, I have to agree with Rachel and Amy here when they say Aly is amazing. She's one special lady with a huge heart. I've always looked up to her with the wonderful work she does - safely, carefully, and lovingly.

slleipnir
06-13-2005, 01:10 AM
I use to want to be a vet. I took a co-op program through my school. I got to work at a clinic and see everything vets do. I decided it's not really for me. If you have the opertunity, take it

Sweetness
06-13-2005, 02:43 AM
I dont think I could be a vet...not a sergeon anyways...I like to talk to ppl and give advice, and I love animals. I could be a person theppl could talk to i dont know really know. I would like to be a secretary too. Ic ould be a secretary at a vets office...that would work too right?

prechrswife
06-13-2005, 06:58 AM
My sister-in-law is a vet. I don't know personally about the daily ins and outs of her job, but I will say that in addition to a love for animals, she is extremely interested in the scientific and technical aspects of her job. She also has to do quite a bit of continuing education through seminars, etc., to keep up with new developments in her field. (The continuing ed. part is true of a lot of careers, though.)